Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbadbudboi

Big white grubs in soil outdoors!

Anyone know what these horrible fuckers are, iv been finding them in potting holes and was wondering if they are root eating bastards or something benign! Iv had a stunted Critical Jack auto that was in the ground and had bugger all roots when I took it out of the potting hole the other day. I found about 10-15 of these in the hole when I turned through it....

large.IMG_6217.JPGlarge.IMG_6216.JPG

Im not sure if there's much I can do about them but if anyone knows owt about them id be very grateful for any info. Cheers!

im no expert but doing a bit of a search they maybe vine weevil larvae and yes they eat roots so thats maybe why the auto dont have any , you can get vine weevil nematodes to water in to deal with both the larvae and the adults. 

1 person likes this

I was going to say vine weevil grubs. You can get vine weevil killer from the garden centre. You just water it in.

1 person likes this

Not sure those are vine weevil grubs, and maybe they were in the compost?

1 person likes this

@captbongsmoker @bearukc    Thanks for the info, they look like the buggers to me and great to know there's a nematode for them, will get some ordered this morning and send in the worm army as soon as they arrive! :boxing:

@Sasquatch   I make my own compost and it normally has loads of different life in it! This year I prepared my potting holes much earlier and left them for a month without plants in so maybe the eggs got layed into it in early spring :g: I just had a big tomatoe plant die off without explanation so I'm gonna check around its roots to this if these were the cause.

2 people like this

Sorry saw this when lurking as a guest and forgot to reply when I joined; you don't give a size but I think that they are cockchafer larvae.  I've posted a still from a video I made in the "pests" thread or you can look at it in my photos.  Not nice to have in your compost but an interesting historical twist to the insect - see Wikipedia or link in the post.

It was quite a shock when I found them in a plant pot - reminded me of an episode from Dr Who, probably in the '70s - yes, I've just looked it up - June 1973 - "The Green Death".  Even to my childhood eyes, the giant maggots in the series didn't look that convincing and Wikipedia says that some were hyperinflated condoms - if one was on the beach that might very apt for cockchafer I suppose.