Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Idealbatch

Nutrient reservoir DIY

Hello guys, I’m kinda getting bored of making up 10L mix everyday now my girls are in flower, makes for a long day after 12 hour shifts! Also the brother in law is watching whilst I’m in Amsterdam for 4 days this month and would find it easier for him to water for me if I mix like 50L of nutrients ready for him to allow for less mistakes as he’s new to it. 

Ive got water feed up to the loft where my grow room is already and plan to fit some for of 2way valve and a tap to I can use this water supply rather that lugging it up 2 floors.

so I can’t really find a suitable 50l res with a tap but can find the 100L water butts for outdoor use with a tap which I’m sure would fit I’m just thinking would weight be an issue as it would likely go next to the other reservoir already in my loft for the heating/hot water.

and what’s the best for keeping it fresh air pump/air stone or just a water pump to keep it circulating? I’ve heard air makes your ph rise? 

I will more than likely eventually hook this reservoir up to a dripper feed system when I have more time and money to piss about making it but any advice/ideas are very much appreciated!! 

Small water butt or a 85l really usefull storage box. To keep it fresh I run a water pump 15 minutes every hour I have made a little spray bar for it. Less hassel than dirty airstones and does a better job at it.

Toke...

1 person likes this

I’ve gone for the 100L water butt, was the smallest I could find! Was £24 from b&q! Don’t necessarily have to fill it full, you say you made a spray bar for your pump? Does that mean your pumping air into it? Do you have problems with ph rising? And how long have you left it with no problems? Should be safe keeping it for no more than a week shouldn’t I as long as it’s circulating. Thanks for the reply toke! 

@Idealbatch for a diy spray bar for the tank you have just get a water pump and a plastic hosepipe tee and a bit of hose and make an "angels halo" so the halo part sticks above the water line put a few holes in it aimed at the water surface inside the tank 

when its on it will pull the water from the bottom of the tank and spray onto the surface making loads of little bubbles keeping it mixed and oxygenated :)

1 person likes this

Ahhh yeah I’ve seen this done before, think that’s simple enough to make too isn’t it cheers, so you mean put the halo at the bottom of the reservoir with the little holes pointing upwards so it’s sick the nutrients in at the bottom and jets it upwards? Wasn’t to clear from your post sorry if I’ve misread it! Thanks 

Posted (edited)

@Idealbatch No mate.. think like a fish tank..

put the pump on the floor of the res..

put the halo ABOVE the water line..

like a waterfall :yep: 

Edited by Pot Luck
1 person likes this

Cheers for the advice pot luck! I did what you said and as my nutrient reservoir is in the loft(above my bedroom) the vibration of the pump sat on the floor of the nutrients res is sooo loud haha! Gonna have to figure a way to suspend it just of the floor some how without hard fixing it as it just vibrates through the damn thing lol! Any ideas? 

string and a screw near the top of your water barrel  

kids soft play foam under the barrel (on the outside)

they look like big jigsaw pieces made of foam should deaden the sound enough 

Yeah I put a screw either side at the top and tied the wire in the middle and the torque of the pump just makes it end up resting on the side, I’ll try add a weight to it or something to get it to hang in the middle and yeah great call! Think I have an old kneeling mat in the garage that’s big enough I’ll use that! Thanks doobie, do you think I’m better of having it running constantly or times so it goes on and off?