Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

3potheads

Smell when entering loft

17 posts in this topic

Not sure if it's all in my head but I swear I can smell the grow.

Growing in the loft in a custom built room made of insulation board with a wooden frame. When I open the loft I'm pretty sure I'm smelling a waft of weed and when I stick my head up there first of all it smells.

Once I'm up in the loft it seems ok which makes me think it's all in my head but how can I test this? Missus is bunged up with a cold and hayfever so about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Extraction is a 8" rhino pro (new for this grow) attached to 8" phonic trap ducting to a 6" high powered rvk running at a minimum of 40%.

Worried as semi detached, groom is right next to next doors wall, venting to eaves right next to them and when I was making loads of noise building it they knocked and asked if I could keep it down as they can hear loads of it going on as they have no loft hatch. 

I added a load of tape to the ducting join last night but it still seems like it smelt today when I went up.

3ph

Posted (edited)

Not sure from the initial post but here are some suggestions high humidity can cause carbon filters to fail or maybe its just old and needs replacing

Edited by Danknorthwest
1 person likes this

When you say 'insulation board with a wooden frame', do you mean celotex, kingspan or similar?  :unsure:  Are you sure the room itself is properly sealed? 

If you've checked and resealed all the duct joints then it's either the room or the filter.  As Dank suggested, high humidity (over 80%) can adversely affect the CF's ability to clean the air, it should also be noted that Rhino's reputation isn't particularly  good these days, their filters can be a bit hit or miss. :soap:    

If you can smell it, especially with neighbours who knock doors and don't have loft hatches,  you really need to fix this ASAP!! By asap, I mean tonight. :) 

6 people like this

Hi mate 

So the filter is new , even with a brand (rhino) thats losing customers daily a brand new filter should be okay.

I would be more inclined to say the room isnt sealed or there is a rouge leaf or three in your loft and with the warm temperatures it will soon make them evident.

If the room isnt sealed then you will have natural draft going through the roof...and your growroom , which might explain the slight smell on your nose when you open the hatch.

Hope you suss it quickly mate 

Farmer G 

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'm using a Rhino mate, and it's only a Hobby.  I only bought it to last one grow.  The guy at my local hydro shop told me that they've recently been subjected to more rigorous quality control checks but it's possible that some smell still makes it through.  

My grow isn't stinking yet but I'm ready and prepared to do what I usually do towards the end of flowering.  I cut some chunks of Ona block and put them in a plastic box (with lots of holes) then drop that in the outlet ducting.  I usually place them at several points in the duct.  It's a little crude but it works 100% for me.  But as mentioned, check all the joints, clips, seals and ducting for any tears or perforations.

Edited by JJJ
2 people like this

Get a big tub of ona and a breeze fan, don’t stress about this grow or you’ll fuck it up, check your room for leaks and buy a mountain air next run.

Does the exhaust smell? It could be leaks but sounds like you checked. With 8" filter, i'm betting its that. Rhino have a terrible rep at the moment, especially the hobbys.  Should have a banner add on here....Rhino =  :soap:  

With the circumstances described....if it was me & i had the funds,  I'd be straight down the shop and getting a Carboair - the 50 8inch is about £130

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Do you smoke weed in the house? If so then any odours will rise through the loft hatch when it's open.

Edited by Exhale
Spelling, it's hot outside!
1 person likes this

Mate blitz your loft with a can of neutradol after you have visited your grow box, then see if you can smell anything next time you enter your loft   cannabis smells linger like f*ck I've found

Image result for neutradol

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

If your filters new I doubt that's the issue really even if its cheapish. 

With tents and most spaces it's ensuring good negative pressure that's vital as it does most of the work of stopping the smell leaving the space the filter just catches it. 

If your extraction set up cannot produce enough vacuum to overcome the amount of gaps in your build then the smell will leak out no matter what you do. 

Do you switch your extraction of at lights of? Some do and don't realise they should have it on 100% of the time or creates these aroma issues and builds high humidity levels that will rot your buds but I'm sure your all over that mate. 

You say your RVK is at 40% minimum have you tried turning it up to maximum and leaving it like that?

If not go and do that, give it a similar length of time as normal before you go and check and if you have no smell it's down to your space being poorly sealed reducing negative pressure enough to allow escape. Once your air tight properly you'll be able to turn the power down again. 

Also do you have a passive or powered intake? I've found powered intakes even with reasonable quality extraction systems can reduce the negative pressure and cause these issues. 

Another thing people can overlook is circulation fans as they pressurise the air a bit to move it basically. If you have to many or to powerful it can give the same issues escape especially if your negative pressure is poor. 

Basically check the negative pressure thoroughly before you buy or do anything else.

Hope you get sorted mate it's annoying and makes you paranoid especially if sharing an attic space like that.

Edited by 2Fat2EatThat
2 people like this

another problem with circulation fans is that folk forget to set them up properly & smelly air is blown out the passive vents, I did it myself a few years ago & wondered why the house reeked  :bag:

4 people like this

ditto

CarboAir are good I have one atm.

Agree with the negative pressure issue too.

Also maybe short cycling extract air back into your space through the eaves. 

Could you pressurise the space around it some way to prevent this.

Have you seen the inline air freshener ducts designed for Ona, just put something different in an old Ona pot. Ona is a dead giveaway in my nostrils.

Hope you get it sorted.

Posted (edited)

why are you running the fan at 40% and where is it in the setup?

Edited by distracted

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, 3potheads said:

Not sure if it's all in my head but I swear I can smell the grow.

Growing in the loft in a custom built room made of insulation board with a wooden frame. When I open the loft I'm pretty sure I'm smelling a waft of weed and when I stick my head up there first of all it smells.

Once I'm up in the loft it seems ok which makes me think it's all in my head but how can I test this? Missus is bunged up with a cold and hayfever so about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Extraction is a 8" rhino pro (new for this grow) attached to 8" phonic trap ducting to a 6" high powered rvk running at a minimum of 40%.

Worried as semi detached, groom is right next to next doors wall, venting to eaves right next to them and when I was making loads of noise building it they knocked and asked if I could keep it down as they can hear loads of it going on as they have no loft hatch. 

I added a load of tape to the ducting join last night but it still seems like it smelt today when I went up.

3ph

good herb stinks mate and from my experience it doesnt matter what precautions you take to avoid bad odours you will  always get the odd whiff here and there.:skin_up:

Edited by Dr feelgood
1 person likes this