Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


ricky4003

Single speed or twin speed fan?

I am currently growing in a 0.50 x 0.50 x 1.40 grow tent in the loft and my temps lately have been reaching 38c. I am looking to get a 4" rhino fan to use as an intake, but I am not sure whether to go for single or twin speed. I currently use a 5" ruck fan for extraction and use a fan controller which allows for speed adjustment for both intake and extraction. So with having control of speeds for both extraction and intake could I just use a single speed fan and make the speed adjustment on my fan controller, or is it worth it to buy the twin speed version.......Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Without asking about a specific fan the answer will vary I'm sorry to say - without getting really boring about motor design there's a few ways of giving selectable speeds, so.. Did you have one in mind?

*Derp* If your existing controller has the room for the wattage it will do fine for the single speed version :)

 

Edited by Kinetikal
failing to pay attention XD
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

It's pointless adding a powered intake if your extraction is still at the same level because forcing more air into your tent will not help it leave quicker lowering your temps as you need, adding a powered intake reduces negative pressure and air flow if you cannot extract it fast enough. 

 

Upgrade your extraction fan or turn it up if you can. Internal circulation fans help spread the temps evenly to avoid hot spots in your space so add those if you don't have them already. 

 

Its simple really - more air removed faster means more cooler air drawn in faster lowering temps and improving your environment. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Kinetikal said:

Without asking about a specific fan the answer will vary I'm sorry to say - without getting really boring about motor design there's a few ways of giving selectable speeds, so.. Did you have one in mind?

*Derp* If your existing controller has the room for the wattage it will do fine for the single speed version :)

 

Yes I should have mentioned what make of fan, which is Rhino.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

The single speed fan would be good for the intake as a 5 speed controller should be plenty for adjustment, the key here though is to try and get your intake air from a cooler area if possible.

If the intake air is from the loft you're just recirculating hot air.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Error!

Edited by ricky4003

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, 2Fat2EatThat said:

It's pointless adding a powered intake if your extraction is still at the same level because forcing more air into your tent will not help it leave quicker lowering your temps as you need, adding a powered intake reduces negative pressure and air flow if you cannot extract it fast enough. 

 

Upgrade your extraction fan or turn it up if you can. Internal circulation fans help spread the temps evenly to avoid hot spots in your space so add those if you don't have them already. 

 

Its simple really - more air removed faster means more cooler air drawn in faster lowering temps and improving your environment. 

I think my extraction might be the problem as the fan sits outside the tent as there is no room to have it inside the tent with a carbon filter attached. Looking at the actual size of my grow tent which is 0.50 x 0.50 x 1.40 I did some research and found that a 5" extraction fan would be adequate and I currently have the fan speed at full on the controller. Do you really think that I should upgrade the extractor fan?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Amnesia said:

The single speed fan would be good for the intake as a 5 speed controller should be plenty for adjustment, the key here though is to try and get your intake air from a cooler area if possible.

If the intake air is from the loft you're just recirculating hot air.

Yes I will be taking air from a bedroom , rather than directly from outside.

Share this post


Link to post

@ricky4003 where is exhaust air going?

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Kinetikal said:

@ricky4003 where is exhaust air going?

It is going to the back of the loft mate.

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Isn't your loft getting really humid? I mean I presume you mean that you're exhausting into the loft space where your tent is located.  If so, I'd want a dehumidifier running in there.  If you're ducting air through the bedroom ceiling, opening the bedroom window will really help with getting some fresh air into the groom and will help to keeps the temps down.

Edited by JJJ

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think a powered intake will help a 5" will be pulling plenty of fresh air in through the vents and it's definitely big enough for the tent can you get the vents to go to another room or even better straight outside? Remove the heat from the area before has chance to raise the temps. I think your fans getting the heat out of the tent but it's building up in the house and getting sucked back through the passive vents again. A powered intake will bring in extra cooler air from another room but if the extracted air isn't getting out of the area it won't really make a difference.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, ricky4003 said:

It is going to the back of the loft mate.


I'd like to put my tuppence into getting your exhaust vented to the outside before anything else :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now