Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tenchie

Light fixed at highest point question.

19 posts in this topic

Afternoon all,

Sure I read that folk who grow in small tents like a dr90 or dr120 and use hps bulbs it`s best to have your light fixed at its highest point always all the way through veg and flowering? Now for as long as I can remember,I use 600hps with a parabolic shade in summer and a 1k with parabolic shade in winter but never used my highest point all the way,yes the light will end up there but only after the stretch is done,I keep the shade quite close and just raise it as the plants grow,I know theres a thread somewere that explains the ins/outs.So whats the script here,fixed at its highest point or raised when need be,what you guys doing?

Tenchie.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

im raising it when need be.

my reason being- the plants need the lumens/par, so why deprive them of it is my take on it, and keeping it high is just inviting excess stretch.

Edited by badbillybob
3 people like this

I think the point is to have enough lights to be able to leave them up top, Golden Syrup did this with excellent results, he was fully up to date with the latest tech and knows his stuff and always had plenty of lights. I however move my lights during veg and early flower, as I have to watch temps, otherwise I would be adding more lights myself.

4 people like this

If your light foot print covers your canopy at a certain distance and power then to me that's perfect, no point wasting the electricity and light your paying for. 

Toke...

5 people like this

Just now, tokenroll said:

If your light foot print covers your canopy at a certain distance and power then to me that's perfect, no point wasting the electricity and light your paying for. 

Toke...

Golden Syrup was still getting a full return on wattage used he was experimenting, but he's a fine grower too, so I don't think waste was an issue for him.

4 people like this

@ratdog

I think it very well could have been Gs thread were I first read about this,sure his was fixed from day one till harvest. I might give it a go next time around.

Cheers people. :yep:

Tenchie.

2 people like this

I start with the parabolic halfway to its limit with plants sitting on plant pots to give more height, as the plants grow I lower them till they reach their limit then I start raising the shade, recently acquired a lux meter will be measuring the difference in height from now on

1 person likes this

I used to run seedling under my 1kw top of light  1.6m high.No crazy stretch.

3 people like this

I used to do the raising the lights thing but since reading that thread GV did I no longer bother, I just got it practically touching the roof of the tent from start to finish now and I ain't noticed any difference really tbh

2 people like this

Cheers lads  :yep:

Going to try this lot with light fixed at the top and see how they go.

Tenchie.

I hang em high nowadays.  But for my space I've a lot of light.  

I used to be religious about keeping the light as close to the canopy as possible.

I'd cut a piece of Jack chain the (optimal?) Length and hang it from the bottom of my reflector.  So I could easily maintain light to canopy distance.  

Not now.  I've learned not to do it.

If you've got a good footprint, hang her high.

;)

3 people like this

Hi guys.

Ok just got my first light. Hisparego 450W full spectrum.  There seems to be a lot of different advise on what height to have the light from seedling and budding plants. As a newbie I am not sure what I should do.  I am growing in a D60 tent, or will be when it arrives they are in a wardrobe for now,  with a absolute max of 4 plants.  they are  in 10inch pots and they will be autoflowers.  What are safe heights for each stage please? 

Just now, Johna60 said:

What are safe heights for each stage please?

With a 450 in a D60 I would hang it up top

3 people like this

For both seedlings and flowering?

Just now, Johna60 said:

For both seedlings and flowering?

yes mate, especially for seedlings

3 people like this