Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

geogeo

how to spot mould on buds ?

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ok I think I’m seeing it now. A bit more difficult in ishouldcoco pic. I can tell in botanical. Think I’m finding it hard to distinguish between the colours. 

Thank you peoples. I’m going to do a thorough check tonight once lights on.

Edited by B0bbyBuds

i use a led headtorch. its shows up well, i think its maybe shows up under uv also?

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, B0bbyBuds said:

Ok I think I’m seeing it now. A bit more difficult in ishouldcoco pic. I can tell in botanical. Think I’m finding it hard to distinguish between the colours. 

Thank you peoples. I’m going to do a thorough check tonight once lights on.

If there's anything you suspect that looks dodgy, just give the leaf a light pull, if there's rot inside the bud the affected areas leaves will pull out without much force being applied.

7 people like this

9 minutes ago, H + H2O said:

If there's anything you suspect that looks dodgy, just give the leaf a light pull, if there's rot inside the bud the affected areas leaves will pull out without much force being applied.

yeh its like you can see a deformed leaf in the bud.

2 hours ago, B0bbyBuds said:

What are we looking at in this pic. I can clearly identify it in the next pic but not this one.

Again I’m not sure what I’m looking at in this pic to identify the bud rot. 

I’m probably missing the obvious I’m blaming my “colour confused-ness”

This will help confirm whether you spotted the signs in my pic @B0bbyBuds :)

large.budrot-edit.jpg

7 people like this

This has been a hugely helpful thread specially with that last post.  Cheers 

2 people like this

Yeah man, thank ou very much @iShouldCoCo I can see it now! 

Thats got me worries though, I’ve noticed some of mybids changing colour during drying and think it could be rot. I initially thought it was just the drying process/ buds been cooked and the trichomes denisitt increasing as the buds shrink. But now i think it may be early rot. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I’ve got some pics of the drying buds where the colour has changed, is this rot? Or any their issues?

There are a lot of dead leaves which I’m going to get rid of, initially I couldn’t see them when the buds were fresh, as the buds have dried and shrink they are now accessible 

large.A76DC224-C33B-4BD4-95A9-96A4A706E51A.jpeglarge.24B71FD7-B008-4663-9CDD-2AB15B19E4B2.jpeglarge.088BE0E3-7B20-4732-B564-6AD76B513402.jpeglarge.21D0F714-3524-4566-BBF6-E5DE229FB165.jpeglarge.ACAC3278-57AF-45E2-9B87-5AE8BFB23668.jpeglarge.B82585FC-C068-4E2B-A375-46FB25D60D3D.jpeg

Edited by B0bbyBuds
1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, B0bbyBuds said:

Yeah man, thank ou very much @iShouldCoCo I can see it now! 

Thats got me worries though, I’ve noticed some of mybids changing colour during drying and think it could be rot. I initially thought it was just the drying process/ buds been cooked and the trichomes denisitt increasing as the buds shrink. But now i think it may be early rot. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I’ve got some pics of the drying buds where the colour has changed, is this rot? Or any their issues?

There are a lot of dead leaves which I’m going to get rid of, initially I couldn’t see them when the buds were fresh, as the buds have dried and shrink they are now accessible

Hey @B0bbyBuds I can't see anything glaringly obvious in your pics but first try parting the buds around the areas you are suspicious of. You can do this without causing too much damage if the buds aren't dry. You should be able to see a white/grey fluff if you do have budrot. It seems to originate around the main stem for me. It could just be that your foxtail leaves have died off without budrot. Fingers crossed for you!

2 people like this

@iShouldCoCo Thank you man! Seen your post again (the pic with Rot highlighted), and thought the colour of my buds had changed similar to that. Was shitting bricks. I’ve been pulling buds I can away from the stem to stop moisture collecting there. 

Im drying in a garage, where the temps and humidity swings around a lot. Got me on my toes while drying. Also bagged a lot of the buds up. Which I know works as a lot of peeps do it but the idea of the moist buds being in paper bags with no airflow concerns me. Some of the pics above are the bagged buds so clear so far. There’s colours on the buds I’m not used to and find it difficult to distinguish is brown/green or grey

1 person likes this

The last bud pic has a lot of brown leaves protruding, I'd be digging into the bud where they are to see what's underneath. 

3 people like this

2 hours ago, B0bbyBuds said:

@iShouldCoCo Thank you man! Seen your post again (the pic with Rot highlighted), and thought the colour of my buds had changed similar to that. Was shitting bricks. I’ve been pulling buds I can away from the stem to stop moisture collecting there. 

Im drying in a garage, where the temps and humidity swings around a lot. Got me on my toes while drying. Also bagged a lot of the buds up. Which I know works as a lot of peeps do it but the idea of the moist buds being in paper bags with no airflow concerns me. Some of the pics above are the bagged buds so clear so far. There’s colours on the buds I’m not used to and find it difficult to distinguish is brown/green or grey

In my pic, it is only showing the warning signs really. Sections that are browning off indicating that there's trouble beneath. I was lucky to spot this really, but the original bit of budrot I found on this grow was on a bud at the back, facing away from me (and in a ventilation deadspot).

If you pull one of those brown leaves, it may come away with no resistance at all, that's another sign (although naturally dying off leaves do something similar), pull apart the bud at that spot and look towards the stem for white/grey fluffy cobweb type stuff. You can't mistake it really but you may need good light and loupe to spot small patches.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, iShouldCoCo said:

budrot I found on this grow was on a bud at the back, facing away from me (and in a ventilation deadspot)

Same thing just happened the Malawi x panama main cola was at the back in dead spot. Just chucked a 13g bud :russian: And now I’m in the way to London then den Haag on Saturday so won’t be able to keep an eye out till then. I moved the buds in the middle under the carbon filter and inbetween the two open air vents. 

Dint know how how I feel. It’s part of the learning process. Bad timing for holiday too

Ahh sorry you found some @B0bbyBuds but at least you found it and now know what you are looking for. It's possible that this was there before you chopped (mine was) and you may be able to to prevent it on your next grow.

It was bloody hot in my tent in the loft while it was drying, so even though I hung the whole plants, it was still dry enough to cure after about 8 days but I would rather it dried too quickly than provide a fertile medium for more budrot spores.

I'm fairly confident that I got all of mine before drying and curing. It's all in jars now and being watched obsessively.

FWIW to prevent it in future grows I'll be making sure my temps don't drop into the sweet spot for mould by keeping them above 24C, removing more foliage below the canopy (lollypopping) and also breaking apical dominance by topping and training to get more smaller buds rather than a single main cola. I'm also working on a multi-fan arrangement to prevent air movement deadspots.

Hi @geogeo in your original post you said you were worried about drying your bud....

I also grow in very humid climates, and here's my take on this.

If you've already harvested, rather than hanging whole stems, I cut each and every bud off the stems, and you'll quickly find any mouldy bits, chuck them. and brown paper bag the rest, and hang them from those sock hanger things.... and hang them somewhere warm with some good air circulation.

During a grow, I have only encountered mould right at the end, usually during flushing, and I think the extra water that you use during flushing increases the humidity massively, a whole week of flushing is too long when it's already climatically humid.... the biggest fattest colas get hit first... typical, eh!

To combat this, I only flush for 3-4 days, and I use a flushing additive, like Advanced Nutrient's 'Flawless finish'.... and plenty of circulating fans.

Since then I've been very lucky these last few grows, and we live in a place where they actually call it 'mould season'. All our clothes, shoes, leather sofas, etc have to be well cared for or else they go green this time of year!.... at times, there's even mould on the outside of my tent FFS, but its not got into the buds.... good luck!