Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. International

NL#5 x Haze questions

48 posts in this topic

You can’t keep any plant for 35 to 40 years without some kind of genetic drift. The mother and father are just not the same plants and the seed variety becomes washed  out. Same with White Widow. NL5Haze was amazing in the day. My brother has a pack of NL5H from MrNice but won’t dare start them. These days they are more Hay than Haze. 

Edited by Grover Sativa

That is why I just made a cross of Pineapple Skunk with a pure Jamaican Landrace. It is very hard to find electric hybrids of tropical sativas that actually work.

it was so hard to find those Jamaican beans and now that I used my only 10 Ace won’t give me anymore. They are too valuable a resource.They are keeping them for their own project. Damn. Should have made an OP. Haze is dead now. It is time for a new electric hybrid. When was nl5h released? Early 90s? We should have replaced it by now! Any companies still doing 5 haze just reap profit for a reputation but know their seeds are shit. I lose respect for traders like that. Just in it for moolah. I haven’t found a decent haze in Shanti’s seeds for years. Gave up trying and made my own in the end. Pineapple Jam.

Edited by Grover Sativa
1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Grover Sativa said:

You can’t keep any plant for 35 to 40 years without some kind of genetic drift.

Actually, as long as you keep them healthy, you can.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Grover Sativa said:

You can’t keep any plant for 35 to 40 years without some kind of genetic drift.

I dont know about the above but the A5 cut is a banging smoke easily as good as todays resin encrusted dwarf indica types.

In my oppinion that is:skin_up:

5 people like this

On 1/17/2020 at 5:36 AM, BenoitV1984 said:

Here is mine, hoped for a Nl/Haze phenotype (the closest one to the A5 mother) and looks like I got the one :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=517478&d=157

I'm growing the KA5 myself... very thin leafed pheno. Which one do you think it is? Its the bud in the top of the picture, and the big clone in the solo cup.

large.20191223_181347.jpglarge.20191223_191643.jpg

2 people like this

large.5e23fbe5b92a3_nl5xhazexthunk149.jpg

speedweed

6 people like this

7 hours ago, FigmentofFig said:

I'm growing the KA5 myself... very thin leafed pheno. Which one do you think it is? Its the bud in the top of the picture, and the big clone in the solo cup.

Don’t know, never flowered her yet.

You might want to check icmag in the ace seeds vendor section. There is a topic about Killer A5 with description and pictures of different phenotypes.

Edited by BenoitV1984
Removed pictures in quote
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, BenoitV1984 said:

Don’t know, never flowered her yet.

You might want to check icmag in the ace seeds vendor section. There is a topic about Killer A5 with description and pictures of different phenotypes.

That's on their website as well.  i suspect its the haze pheno. Im pretty sure actually. She's a beautiful and powerful plant. 

On 18/01/2020 at 9:18 PM, BenoitV1984 said:

Actually, as long as you keep them healthy, you can.

Not according to Nevil, you can't. I believe him over you.

The last time I had a conversation with him (and they were all hard work) he told me that he would not use the modern Super Silver Haze or Neville's Haze as the parents have drifted and the offspring were no longer guaranteed.

Perhaps it is possible to maintain a plant that long but it is surely unlikely and how would you know it had not drifted? You must rely on your 'sepia tinged' memory of the smoke from decades ago to be sure..

The trouble with Nevil was that he was not a plain speaker and it may have been that he knew something else about the parent plants Shanti was using for those lines and just said that they had drifted. We shall never know now but I will take him at his word as I have no reason not to and now that he is gone so is his knowledge. Damn shame even if he was a pain in the arse. God Rest His Soul.

Edited by Grover Sativa

On 18/01/2020 at 11:33 PM, Dr feelgood said:

I dont know about the above but the A5 cut is a banging smoke easily as good as todays resin encrusted dwarf indica types.

In my oppinion that is:skin_up:

I'm sure it is - but does it produce the same quality of offspring as it used to? That is the point.... I always struggled with A5 - not sure why but I was growing hydroponic last time I tried her and maybe she is better in soil.

1 person likes this

I can only go on stories, though as I never tried to maintain anything that long. I get bored too quickly. I suppose that The Cheese still stinks but is she exactly the same? Does she pass on exactly the same traits when bred out? It is hard to know, I suppose. Anecdotally, plants drift.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Grover Sativa said:

I'm sure it is - but does it produce the same quality of offspring as it used to

No idea i just want to get my hands on that cut and i am as close as ever.:thumsup: 

Epigenetics? A plant's environment affects it's phenotypical expression over time, without any change to it's underlying genotype? It's offspring inherit a different set of traits than it would have as a result?

So the mother's genes stay the same (even if aspects of it's phenotypical expression do alter) but the genes of the offspring drift over time? Which explains why the original parent plant may still appear to be banging but the offspring seeds become 'washed out' like White Widow or Shark Shock?

Extremely interesting but I wish I understood it! My statement above is probably showing how little I have grasped. Sorry (blush)

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Dr feelgood said:

No idea i just want to get my hands on that cut and i am as close as ever.:thumsup: 

The Cheese? I know you don't want to hear it but it is everywhere round here...

I couldn't give The Cheese away this time last year - now everybody wants it again.

But it is a troublemaker.

1 person likes this