Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. International

NL#5 x Haze questions

48 posts in this topic
42 minutes ago, Amo said:

stoner’s...:smokin:

True enough.

A few joints of that original NL5/Haze you would only be capable of organising what music to play at best.

One of the more memorable hashes also. Used net curtain doubled up and taped to a big propagator tray. Broke up buds gently and sifted gently. I scored lucky with some net curtain with tiny holes. You had to sift gently or the hash would turn green.

Still, its not like there are not good plants around today.

Super Silver Haze was another of my favs.

2 people like this

As I understand it from reading around the issue isn't to do with "stoner's" as it's been put.

The NL5 x Hz parents among many others from Sensi were lost due to the people who worked with them originally going their separate ways.

People like the Cock of Cannabis(Arjan as he's known) started Greenhouse and tried to replicate the success started by Ben Dronkers.

Shantibaba(Scott) started Mr. Nice Seeds and had help and access to some great genetics from Neville Schoenmaker(R.I.P).

Parents were lost for whatever reason and the seed stock that was used to try and replicate the originals was so diverse it would take another lifetime to find a carbon copy.

Greenhouse have limited the diversification by producing feminized seeds, supposedly for the benefit of the grower having access to what they think should be the representation of the advertised strain.

Mr. Nice produced their seeds in a different way, they mainly grow to produce medicinal extracts in Switzerland and the seed product is a by product/side business. There's a very large genepool to access and it could take 100+ seeds to find something unique. I have read grows of NL5 x Hz that have gone from 80/90 days to 130+

If you can't find original clones I wouldn't worry as half the fun is finding something reminiscent or dare I say better?

3 people like this

Stoner’s, as it was put, was just a generalisation of the subject...

An everyone you just mentioned in ur post, as it was put....Stoner’s...:smokin:

good luck m8...

On 21/06/2019 at 1:33 PM, Mr. International said:

Want a nice racey Sativa for my next crop and hopefully something less than 12 weeks flowering lol 

lol

2 people like this

On 21/06/2019 at 6:06 PM, MyDisplayName2000 said:

A while back I read something about cell cloning and making exact replicas using the DNA in cells. I'm not seeing that being sold yet.

Was it tissue culture? It's been around for years in the agricultural industry but now seems to be crossing over into cannabis, and can't be a bad thing for preserving parent lines.

The beauty of TC is that unlike conventional methods, it lets cultivators preserve a living specimen, almost perpetually, through minimal effort and using minimal space. Small pieces of plant tissue, even just a few cells, from cannabis specimens can eventually produce hundreds of identical clones.

All tissue cultures start life as a small cutting from a sample.  The tissue sample is trimmed and goes through a crucial sterilization process. Once cleaned, the plant tissue goes in a dense nutrient culture which is typically an agar gel containing a carefully crafted nutrient, hormone and sugar mixture. The tissue culture controls the sample. Different hormone mixtures will trigger various stages of development for the tiny culture.

The culture can technically remain in a period of indefinite purgatory, until a time when the grower wishes to work with the sample again. Through the introduction of new hormones and nutrient-rich growing solutions, a cultivator can trigger growth, root development, and multiplication. When the plant is large enough to multiply, it is ready to be trimmed into literally hundreds of separate yet precisely cloned individuals.

2 people like this

Just now, OLaC said:

Was it tissue culture? It's been around for years in the agricultural industry but now seems to be crossing over into cannabis, and can't be a bad thing for preserving parent lines.

Aye, that sounds right. Tissue culture. I'll have to read up on it. Cheers for that.

Until Joolz mentioned it was parent plants that had to be saved, I was assuming that the 1990s genetics would be preserved with seeds. However,having thought about it, even with the original Sensi Seeds seed stock, which I assume is frozen somewhere, without the original mum and dad, the offspring would obviously not be the original.

So all those seed companies advertising real old genetics like NL5/Haze is a bit like me saying that I'm the father of Pink (the female singer)for example. Sure, we share some DNA :) Just like monkeys and me are 'related'.

2 people like this

The Alaskan breeder AKBeanbrains has some Triangle Kush/Nl5 Haze crosses. He's had them since the mid 80s. He bought them direct from Nevil. He also has Nl1 crosses and back crosses. Only thing is he's stateside so ordering them from the UK is problematic.

2 people like this

I grew this around 4 years ago.

Sensi sent it as a replacement for 2 x 10 Marley's Collie, that I got 1/20 germination rate (male), fortunately for me  (not for him) another Sensi customer had 0/10 Marley's Collie at the same time.

The plant is the best I've ever grown for structure. Magnificent side branches.

Ordinary smoke/smell/taste. I won't be growing it again.

I did run some seeds with the MC male  x SS Hindu Kush  and also with Mandala's Satori & Krystallica

I enjoy running these ... flavours vary a lot from plant to plant. Always good though.

The SS Hindu Kush is 100% indica landrace yet  all 20 I ran were more sativa than indica. (20/20 germ rate!)

Again nothing special.

It's 10x better crossed with Marley's Collie.

Edited by Geoff
1 person likes this

About A5, Karma Genetics managed to save Nevil’s mothers.

A5 (NL #5 x Haze A) and late 80’s Nevil Haze (A5 x Haze C) cuts have been given to ACE seeds which they both crossed with both Panama and Malawi sativa. Malawi crosses are sold as part of catalog strains, Nevil’s haze x Panama is in their R&D section and A5 x Panama was for a while.

Karma Genetics is now working on a stable seed release of A5, some seeds have been passed around for testings and they should be commercially available around March. 

3 people like this

It might be worth looking at ace seeds Killer A5. Supposed to be a A5 Haze (bodhi) crossed to aces killer Malawi.

Probably will have the old school uplofted trippy effect your looking for

Just cracked some NL #5 x Haze, but after reading this feel a little underwhelmed...

large.20200114_181352_resized.jpg

1 person likes this

Haze c male and the A5 female cut.large.user4116_pic4875_1302414724.jpglarge_A5.jpg

4 people like this

On 14/01/2020 at 7:47 PM, Mimicker said:

It might be worth looking at ace seeds Killer A5. Supposed to be a A5 Haze (bodhi) crossed to aces killer Malawi.

Probably will have the old school uplofted trippy effect your looking for

Here is mine, hoped for a Nl/Haze phenotype (the closest one to the A5 mother) and looks like I got the one :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=517478&d=157

2 people like this

@BenoitV1984 Quite fat leaves for a haze Dom pheno IMO bud

I didn’t say haze dominant pheno...

That’s the phenotypes description, and mine seems to fit the NL/Haze phenotype:

In Killer A5 Haze we find 4 phenotypes:

- Haze dominant pheno: This phenotype is the one that shows the greatest Colombian sativa influence from the Haze A male, producing huge and beautiful colas with an excellent flower/leaf ratio, which mature with elegant and delicate reflowerings. Woody and incensed aromas of pure Haze. The resin production of this pheno is good, but not as extreme as in the following 3 phenotypes. Flowering time: 75-90 days.

- NL/Haze pheno: This pheno shows a greater indica influence from the Northern Lights, and therefore a smaller size, faster flowering and lower flower/leaf ratio. It is also the most faithful to the characteristics of the original A5 Haze mother, producing rounded and very resinous flowers with a silver appearance, which produces characteristic horn-shaped reflowerings at the end of flowering. Incensed, meaty (liver) and organic (petals of decaying flowers) aromas. Flowering time: 66-80 days.

- Haze/Malawi pheno: Sativa dominant and well balanced pheno in terms of displaying characteristics from both Haze A and Malawi parents. It produces huge, very dense colas, with an excellent flower/leaf ratio, with the gleaming resin coverage of our Malawi. It produces slight reflowerings in its final stages, although not as pronounced as in the first 2 phenos. Incense and woody Haze aromas, with the oily and resinous background of Malawi. Flowering time: 75-85 days.

- Silverish Malawi pheno: Monstrous sativa phenotype with a greater Malawi influence. Incredibly high flower to leaf ratio, very high production, with the classic huge trichomes and ovaries of our Malawi, and with a prodigious resin production that lends it an aggressive silverish appearance when mature, bringing the characteristics of Malawi Killer phenotypes to very extreme levels that have rarely been reached before. Flowering time: 75-85 days.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking this topic, just wanted to inform the op about the real A5 and where to find it when Karma genetics is done with testings. I’m not a big fan of S1 myself, would probably be not a bad idea to outcross it to get hybrid vigour back.

Edited by BenoitV1984
1 person likes this