Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SolomonBruceman

Ecothrives Ecolife compost & Life-Cycle amendment

89 posts in this topic

Soil with Biochar in certainly improves with age imo using some now that must be circa 4 or 5 years old, texture is the best ive seen. Thats the one thing I would add to this. Indoor Organics said people are still saying how good the first batch they made with Biochar is.

2 people like this

When I first saw the But about DI water i thought you right on, it's tap water or nothing at my house! lol

I've since had chance to read the instructions and I'm now on the fence... I may invest in enough for the first few waterings at least... Till the worms are happy like..maybe..

anyways good to his word,

large.IMG_20190624_112201-1017x1535.jpglarge.IMG_20190624_112453-1017x953.jpglarge.IMG_20190624_112535-1017x1429.jpg

I gotta order some 40L pots. Worms and bluemats are in the post and I dunno whether to go with "mulch mats" or just plain old straw..

I'll start a diary once all the bits and pieces arrive, hopefully by the weekend :yinyang:

16 people like this

Good luck @Dodgee will you be running cuts you're familiar with or sprouting seed?

1 person likes this

Nice one @Dodgee:yep:

Farmer G 

1 person likes this

Good luck @Dodgee I hope you have a banging crop :yep:

ATB with it @Dodgee 

Hoping for a banging crop for you with the new dirt mate 

1 person likes this

@Dodgee Looks like you have fun getting into them boxes lol 

1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, diyleduk said:

@Dodgee Looks like you have fun getting into them boxes lol 

aye some fucker got a bit lively with the old parcel tape like! lol

Still, beats split boxes and dirt on the deck everyday aye!

I should have said earlier but they was nice and stealthy packed with no obvious signs of what was inside or anything untoward on the shipping labels.

proper top job :yep:

Somebody forgot to include the pots mind... I wasn't gonna mention like.... but you know me don't like to be cheeky :wassnnme: :rolleyes::P 

lol

3 people like this

The whole 'bottles aren't organic' thing has always seemed like poor logic to me. If it came in a plastic tub or bag and/or needs freighting how is it any better (ignoring the tent and artificial lighting)? Lots of these super mixes and composts in general are full of irresponsibly harvested peat, perlite, dredged seaweed products, etc. That it lasts for multiple grows is moot (as you need to use multiple grows worth of medium). If you read hort type literature the most common thing you see the environmentally concerned say is 'stop using peat'. If anything, there is less unnecessary ballast in 'organic' bottle feeds than in dry materials (meaning better transport efficiency, less pollution, etc).

Realistically coco and mineral nutes are probably better for the environment and the end user in a lot of cases, as one thing about quality mineral nutes is that you can often be sure of no heavy metals (because they get analysed by 3rd parties).

This stuff isn't viable for me due to an exigent landlord regardless (moving/hiding 30-40l pots at a few days notice doesn't sound like a plan).

There's no way it vegs quicker than coco.

3 people like this

Again as i said previously its not going to be for everyone just like anything :) certain circumstances wont allow it and some just wont bother...but lots will i think.

Farmer G

2 people like this

@FARMER G as someone who has used this soil but it “wasn’t ready “ for your next run. Please could you tell us what would be involved in getting the plants out of the soil and getting it ready for the next lot? 

Nice one fella!! 

Peace!!

lil d. 

1 person likes this

Peat moss isn't necessarily unsustainable. It's just unsustainable in the European sense. In that we've already decimated it all for farming building etc. It can be sustainable if properly mined. In North America the vast majority comes from Canada and alaska and the rate its mined at is a tiny fraction of the natural accumulation. In Europe though from a sustainablility perspective you're right that you're better off with a coco base. Although coco is inferior. 

Good quality salt feeding regimes certainly do accumulate less heavy metals but in an unregulated market.... The labelling on a lot of these nute bottles is total BS and what they say is in it... Isn't. Also those nutes are bad for natural soil life and what do you do with your coco once you've finished with it? And how were the nutes produced? What kind of industry are you supporting etc?

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

Somebody forgot to include the pots mind

Somebody couldn't find them more like. :wallbash:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

@FARMER G

I can only speak for myself but I don't think that it's just about it not being for some people, it's great to see premixed super soils hitting the shelves (it's something I've looked into myself but can't get around the sourcing of separates and being around for deliveries, don't like to have that sort of thing delivered to my place of business where I spend 12 hours a day).

But, it would be great if these companies dropped the "better for the planet" - "ethically sourced" spiel as we all know producing plastic packaging and shipping materials and final product shipping are having a reverse and detrimental effect.

Edited by Exhale

Just now, lildaveham said:

@FARMER G as someone who has used this soil but it “wasn’t ready “ for your next run. Please could you tell us what would be involved in getting the plants out of the soil and getting it ready for the next lot? 

Nice one fella!! 

Peace!!

lil d. 

No need to be salty mate :) 

The fact they are nigh on 5 weeks flowering is why i havent used it lol 

My next cycle are in small starter pots ready for the Eco life...

Farmer G 

1 person likes this