Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BarrySHitPeas

1st time germinating in pure coco slow growth

16 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Just  had my first attempt at growing in coco and already  messed up by the looks of it.

hoping someone might be able to identify where I've gone wrong.

Seed placed directly in medium, moist fluffed up coco PH ed to 6, GA first feed a&ab 4ml Lt. At 0.8 E.C , Root tonic 2.5 ml Lt 

large.image.jpglarge.image.jpg

What I expect my seedlings to look like at day 10 in Tropic mix 

large.image.jpeg

I've treated them much the same as I would in soil.

my guess is I've under watered them .....

or nutrient strength to high 

ive already binned the above but 

before trying again in pure coco be nice to have some idea where I've gone wrong any ideas ?

1 person likes this

You just need to be a little more patient. Some plants are faster starters than others.

2 people like this

@monkeypig

Do you treat yours much like you would in soil ? Apart from the nutrients from the start bit ?

I've just started one more in pure coco and a load of others in Tropic mix which is 60/40 peat to coco, could you foresee any issues starting in the tropic mix and transplanting in to coco ? 

Thanks  for looking btw 

Posted (edited)

I used to use the first feed at 5ml and the root stim at 5ml at that stage.

Water to run off and dont let it sit in the run off.

Looks like a bit of bad watering practice to me.

No dramas theyll soon be up and running.

e2a I used to start seedlings in soil and transplant into coco once id sexed them.I couldn't be arsed mixing a flower feed for main room and one for veg.

No problems doing that.

Edited by icki
3 people like this

@ickiI will up it to 5ml Lt of both FF and RT on this next one  ,will push it up to 0.9 E.C my tap water is 0.4/0.5 E.C 

And  not let them dry out quite so much.

thanks 

I've already binned them. 

they are autos so need a good start IME ,any mistakes in the first 3 weeks and I start again ,bit of trial by fire by my own admission.

2 people like this

My tap water is 0.7 to 0.8 I used to use the hard water GA gear.

A man I presume anyhow after my own heart.If its a bad start live and learn.Start again.

Ive never ran autos mate but I thought people put the seed straight into finals.Ive been wrong before mind.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@ickiYeah I'm using the hard water version to.  my waters not that hard but have shit cal/mg ratio basically next to no MG in my water.

and yeah I'm one of those who only seems to learn the hard way.

Yeah a lot do, but i dont find transplanting that much of a big deal, not something i've struggled with,

to be honest nor has germination until now and it's better to have a small plant in small pot, transplant day 10 -14 with autos , risk stunting if kept in small pot, something to do with how they root out a pot differently to a photo. and in a big pot its so easy to over water i found.

I will just stick to using tropic mix for the first 10 days for now and experiment with germinating in  coco on the side And start the logging and measuring process to i can get it up to par with my soil sisters.

Just recovered from a Mite attack probably not the best time to try coco in hindsight divided attention ,also Just today  swapped a 315 for A QB only had it on for a hour to check temps after mounting the driver on a wall  its got a nice spread of light and runs a lot cooler then 315w Lec but time will tell. dont want it to cold I'm running autos and speed is everything so dont want that metabolic rate slowing to much heat isn't always the enemy, hopefully mixing the 2 will give me benfits of both thats the idea anyway.

should make temps more manageable, when in flower now in summer and have them both on. usually just have the 1x 315w in summer.

large.image.jpeg

Edited by BarrySHitPeas
3 people like this

Tidy set up.Is that a 75cm x 75cm tent.?

Ive just bought one for playing around with LED for the first time.

1 person likes this

No it's A Budbox Pro 1.2x1.2x2.2 its the 275w QB V2 Its meant for 1.2x0.6 area which is half my tent.

Yeah my first time LED experience to. 

i have no loyalty to tech , just what suits my needs , its more the usability that's attracted me , no res strike times , can leave on 24/7, no imploding bulbs or bulb changes to worry about , the whole dimming thing plus its no thicker then a tablet more height adjustable then my LEC reflectors but that being said i've had it on all of a hour so far .... time will tell everything has plus and minus just the way of life.

What did you go for ?

2 people like this

A scope 210 w.Looking forward to playing around with them.Just going to run one plant under it for now.Had other plans but that went tits up.

Im pretty impressed so far, it s bloody bright that's for sure.

2 people like this

Yeah my other idea for my other tent has a LEC reflector in the middle of the tent and strips lights around it in square formation for better spread but that can wait for now.

thats what this game seems all about adapting to the situation,Still 1 plant is better then no plants.

I'm going to learn my lesson about changing to many things at once and keep them under the LEC for this run.

2 people like this

One thing that is seen time and time again is anxiety. I remember being like this myself not so long ago. When people are desperate to get a grow established, the anxiety gets out of control, and we worry about absolutely everything. This is why I think rotation of crops is absolutely essential.  You need babies germinating, some plants in veg and one or more in flower. It then helps to stop the anxiety.  If you have a number of plants growing, you stop focusing so much on babies that aren't growing especially fast. Unless they are ill in some way, they will always rejuvenate when they feel like it, or when their substrate improves. 

I don't think I am different to anyone else in always trying new things, but right now I am pretty relaxed about everything. I don't bother ph'ing the water any more. I don't bother much with nutes, and everything grows superbly. From my own experience, the more you fuss and stress the worse things get - which is pretty frustrating - but seems to be how it is. I have some babies on the go, some of which are clones and some are from seed. I was doing some re-potting yesterday.  I have become a great fan of coco because if its disease resistance and aeration properties, but I wouldn't use it on its own. I have stopped using perlite now, and I find that the coco does a similar job of aeration, however coco doesn't have much in the way of nutrients. So, for my babies I am just mixing 50-50 coco & worm castings.  Very simple to do, and the plants get the nutes from the castings and the aeration from the coco.  I water them how/when I feel and there is no science involved. They grow beautifully. 

When I come to transfer into their final pots, the soil mix is a bit more elaborate, but I rarely ever touch additives. I have a cupboard full of endless products that I now don't use.  Keeping your eye on bugs is always needed though.  Thrips have been an issue for me in the past and once you have them, they are very determined to keep re-infesting, so always stay vigilant for the tell-tale markings on leaves and keep inspecting with a loupe if you see anything suspicious.  There is usually only one thrip per leaf but they can do a lot of damage. I always remove damaged leaves, so if there is an issue, it is easy to see. 

2 people like this

hi mate , yuo mention thrips , is that spider mite or green fly. i take it you have a grow room or tent ? or in a hut outside grow ? 

my grow room is in the loft fully sealed kingspan &foil tape'd fle skreen on air intakes  .. would like to kno about bugs that would eat my girls.. regards, geogeo

Hey Barry very nice setup mate! I look forward to mixing up some Led with my CMH in the future. Regarding the lack of growth in coco it's exactly the same experience I had when I tried it. I found out I took the wet dry cycle too literally, should really be wet to moist back to wet again. Plants took off once I started keeping to that. ATB GD

1 person likes this

Thanks , its nice to be able switch between the two at the moment temps depending,and that's the exactly sot of info i was looking for ! i will give Coco another go once my jars are filled 

but i shall try the above first, once again thanks @Green demon

1 person likes this