Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Medicated

Measuring Lux

Morning you lot!

In my quest to fully digitise my grows I have set up a Lux meter to register canopy light, currently recording around 14890 Lux from a Scope-150 which I'm very happy with.

Just wondering if anyone else is measuring amount of light - I know its all about the spectrum as well as the amount of light but this is mainly to make sure the light hitting the canopy is strong enough and also as a fail safe as I will get a txt message and email should the lux reading fall below a certain threshold during lights on hours (I'm nearing completion of a fully automated monitoring system that I will publish on here so you lot can build should you wish to).

I have heard that 14000 Lux is the lowest threshold for a plant though if anyone could chime in - would be interesting to hear your views.

3 people like this

I recently bought myself a Lux meter, barely a tenner they are affordable now. It revealed that the 400w MH I had been relying on to raise 4 autos was yielding 11000 Lux less than it should have been, and at barely 6 months old too. That must be a significant factor in their decidedly average performance, I changed up to a 600w sodium after that.

I'm pretty sure you can start plants at well under 14000 Lux, that's about as much as a 250w MH/hps yields. A 50w LED corn cob E40 thingy does about 5-6000 and that's enough for seedlings.

It's one thing for people to bang on about other methods of measurement as being more definitive but you can't get meters for them cheap, and now you can for Lux so it would be helpful if manufacturers could make the effort and quote Lux stats.

So that's you, me and Jimmy who have Lux meters now, as I've said before I don't see why we all don't have one, we use meters for everything else so why not?

2 people like this

Thanks for your reply @sasquash great info right there :smokin:

I think Lux is really important and yeah not many measure this, my initial drive for this was as a warning that the lights were off but now i think its a much under-looked field so I have made a very simple wifi enabled Lux meter that also has temp and humidity sensors as well.

It only costs £18 to build and provides a web page for viewing all stats, part of a much bigger system that I'm running (once its stable I'll write it all up on here).

I have ambitions on being able to have a Meanwell driver set up so it can dim or brighten according to the state of the grow as well as turning the light on and off via a schedule, not sure if its really some thing useful but I like to tinker.

I also would like to see Lux stats, maybe we all can share Lux against the Lighting systems we use and No. of plants covered/grow areas, would be interesting if nothing else.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Quick Guide – Lux Levels for Optimal Cannabis Growth

Life Stage

Maximum                   Good             Minimum

Vegetative 70,000lux   40,000lux      15,000 lux

Flowering  85,000lux   60,000lux      35,000 lux

< 15,000 lux – sparse or “stretchy” growth – plant isn’t getting enough light
15,000 – 50,000 lux – a good amount of light for healthy vegetative growth
45,000 – 70,000 lux – the optimal amount of light for cannabis plants in the flowering (budding) stage. If grow lights produce a lot of UV light (such as LEC), stay on the lower side of this range
70,000 – 85,000 lux – a lot of light, some strains thrive at this light level, but some plants (especially auto-flowering and Indica strains) lose their top leaves early under this light intensity. At these levels, lights need to be kept further away for healthy growth
> 85,000 lux – at this light intensity, you’ve hit the plant’s “saturation point” which means your plant can’t use all the light (most strains will experience light bleaching or other major signs of stress at this level!)

Just pulled that from a quick search, hope it contributes.

Edited by Aidwej
2 people like this

@Aidwej interesting mate have you got a link to that article    tia

1 person likes this

cheers for the info, I never realised they were so cheap have ordered one that also registers humidity and temps just £20

I have a Lux meter too, but isn't there something about them not being a very relevant measurement for CMH and LED? Isn't it all Par and uMols or something these days?

2 people like this

Yes, they may be the preferred metrics these days it's just that the meters cost a shitload more.

1 person likes this

Yeah lumens for humans , lumens are humans perception of light intensity 

par is a measure of plant usable light.

wouldn't it  be nice if you could rent a PAR meter ....

2 people like this