Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Painrelief

First time advice Most Welcome.

32 posts in this topic

Hello All.

im very new to this.

a bit about Myself in hope that I’ll receive good sound advice catered for My particular need.

here goes, and Thank you for reading.

Im currently been on a serotonin reuptake inhibitor  It is used to treat major depressive disorder, panic disorder, 

for a few yrs now, but it’s been making Me feel worse, 

with unwanted side effects.

I’ve never smoked or done anything recreationally, 

a friend of mine suggested I try a medicinal herb, 

long story short.

i couldn’t believe just how effective this was towards My conditions in an absolutely positive manner.

not only that. 

But it also seemed to reduce inflammation in a few serious injury’s I occurred awhile back.

i was amazed. 

I experienced no ill side effects.

and unlike taking prescribed medication from My Dr’s.

smoking herbs has really uplifted My serotonin levels to the point of I feel more positive and actually My days have also become more structurally constructive.

unlike the medication I’ve been taking, and looking to self medicate.

Ok to the point this time, Lol.

ive been looking at the GreenQube 100 grow tent

(1mx1mx2.2m) to grow hydroponically.

as ive mentioned, I’m very new to this & still learning all the jargon and different types of grows/lights/nutrients etc.

but it’s quite a lot to take in all at once, 

especially as so many have their pros & cons.

i was looking at Hid lights then cfls, leds etc.

What type of setup should I be looking into with regards too

lights & what output.

air filter-ducting

fan/s

Type of grow for a beginner, from seed to full matured plants I,e. Scrog etc

nutrients

etc.

What advice would you offer.

apologies for the rambling.

and Thank you again for reading.

I would start with a compost grow mate, far more forgiving to the newbie

I would get a 1m tent, a 5 inch extraction fan and filter, ducting and a fan controller if you can afford it, and I would get a 600w hps light and ballast.

2 people like this

Have a browse at "Growroom design" and a few grow diaries. And as Ratdog suggests grow in good quality compost. It is far more forgiving. 

1 person likes this

I second the compost to start with.  Far less to go wrong and a perfectly acceptable way to grow. :yep:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, ratdog said:

I would start with a compost grow mate, far more forgiving to the newbie

I would get a 1m tent, a 5 inch extraction fan and filter, ducting and a fan controller if you can afford it, and I would get a 600w hps light and ballast.

Thanks R.D I’m not sure if My first reply went through, so doing it again lol.

awsome advice Thank you. 

Will be looking into this cheer’s again.

Edited by Painrelief
Spelling
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Larry Badgeley said:

Have a browse at "Growroom design" and a few grow diaries. And as Ratdog suggests grow in good quality compost. It is far more forgiving. 

Cheer’s Larry. It’s appreciated.

def going to go with Ratdogs advice.

But def worth checking out the growroom design.

3 hours ago, JJJ said:

I second the compost to start with.  Far less to go wrong and a perfectly acceptable way to grow. :yep:

Seems it’s a 3 yes’s for compost then.

really pleased how Ratdog made things so simple and easy to understand without loads of technical jargon. 

And Thanks to you also for your support.

its appreciated JJJ.

2 people like this

You're welcome. Ratdog knows his stuff.  He helped me out just today with a current issue. :yep:

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, JJJ said:

You're welcome. Ratdog knows his stuff.  He helped me out just today with a current issue. :yep:

You’ve all been Awesome you really have.

im off tomorrow from work and children, so I’m going to have a “Me day” and research R.d’s recommendations online, and settle down to a good read from the Growroom design 

You guys rock. :)

2 people like this

When you're looking for equipment, try to avoid the grow kits on Fleabay.  I'd stick to the hydroponics shops for better quality.  RVK fans are reliable.  If you have the finances, it's best to buy a larger extractor than you need and turn it down with a fan-speed controller.  This will reduce noise and give you more control of the environment inside the tent. And please don't skimp on the carbon filter as it's the most important piece of equipment in this game.

You'll also need a circulating fan or two for inside the tent - oscillating ones are best.

There are many different types of pots available.  Personally I like Airpots (root-pruning pots) for an amazing root structure and aeration to the root zone.

Organic bottled nutrients are slightly more forgiving so I'd recommend those.  Biobizz and Plant Magic amongst others have some good products at reasonable prices.

Check out your local water to determine if it's hard or soft.  If it's soft like mine you'll need to supplement with calcium and magnesium.

Good luck :smokin:

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, JJJ said:

When you're looking for equipment, try to avoid the grow kits on Fleabay.  I'd stick to the hydroponics shops for better quality.  RVK fans are reliable.  If you have the finances, it's best to buy a larger extractor than you need and turn it down with a fan-speed controller.  This will reduce noise and give you more control of the environment inside the tent. And please don't skimp on the carbon filter as it's the most important piece of equipment in this game.

You'll also need a circulating fan or two for inside the tent - oscillating ones are best.

There are many different types of pots available.  Personally I like Airpots (root-pruning pots) for an amazing root structure and aeration to the root zone.

Organic bottled nutrients are slightly more forgiving so I'd recommend those.  Biobizz and Plant Magic amongst others have some good products at reasonable prices.

Check out your local water to determine if it's hard or soft.  If it's soft like mine you'll need to supplement with calcium and magnesium.

Good luck :smokin:

Advice has been took on board:)

i cant afford to skimp on the quality of the set-up

Would it be possible to direct Me in the right direction of high quality makes for Rvk large extractor fans with a speed controller.

and a top quality carbon filter & its size if poss

What make should I be looking into with regards to 600w hps light & ballast, 

would it be single or double end light.

the water here is hard here, 

what type of nutrients should I be looking for 

and would this change from seedling to the final stages. 

What about lighting for seedlings/nursery stage.

does the hps 600w have heat settings.

or would I need to have a lower wattage or white Led 

apoolgies again for so many questions.

i hope in time I am able to give back sound advice to up & coming newbies such as Myself 

as You Guys have kindly done for Myself.

Thank you Again. All of you. :)

Posted (edited)

If you're happy to invest in your set up, may I suggest approaching our site sponsor @diyleduk for lighting.  Those lights are rapidly becoming the way forward and they're dimmable.  Completely silent and less heat issues.

Mountain Air make good carbon filters.

Just Google 'hydro store' and you'll find loads of options for all your equipment right here in the UK.  In fact, we have a site sponsor 'Gro Zone' (I think) who offers a UK420 discount.

Edited by JJJ
1 person likes this

Thanks Again.

ill check your recommendations out 

cheers :)

1 person likes this

@Painrelief

Also try googling "onestopgrowshop"

They do some great setups at very good prices also.

1 person likes this

I use my hps from day 1 you can turn it down to 250watts you can with most digital ballast they only cheap. But if I couldn't turn it down I'd still use it on my seedlings just further away.

Nutrients are all the same really just get whatever appeals to you 

I use advanced nutrients because I'm lazy and it claims to be ph perfect but I'd use anything. General hydroponics are good just get something for the media you choose compost or hydro etc and don't feed the seedlings for at least 2 weeks in compost maybe a week in hydro everything they need they have in the seed for first little stint of growth 

Fan and filter mine is fox I'd say it's good but can't compare to anything else really was £75 for 6" filter and fan 

Rhino has a bad bad reputation not sure if it's justifiable but you will see them in your search so il mention anyway

Just look up how much extraction you'd need for your tent size and find something which meets that look in the specs it will say like 280m3/h preferably beats it because a bigger fan turned down makes less noise then a smaller fan ripping it . And the filter being attached lowers performance by something like 25% have you picked a tent size?

1 person likes this