Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Auto gorilla

R.O units??

Afternoon everyone, I’m after some advice and wondering if anyone can help me out with R.O units and which is best to go for.

My background e.c is 0.7 so water is terrible and I’m thinking it’s worth the investment now to be able to work with clean water and really give the plants a proper feeding instead of loads of unknown crap. 

My local hydro shop wants silly money for a unit so been looking online but there’s so many to choose from 3/4/5/6 stage which will be suitable? I’m guessing just a bog standard 3 stage will be fine but if anyone has experience with them I’d be grateful. 

Cheers 

If you want soft ish get a 5 stage with remineralizer and if you want they do a pH stabaliser as well but I only use the remineralizer on mine as I'm in compost. 

Hope that helps

:yinyang:

Same backgrounnd as me mate! This time around I grew in Coco with Growers Ark hard water nutrients & the plants stayed a nice healthy all the way through veg and flower.

What style of growing you thinking of? These were hand watered.

No experience with ro units.

Just a thought thats all.

All the best.

Tenchie.

2 people like this

4 stage is fine, mine takes my tap water EC from .7 to pretty much zero.  Not sure why you'd want remineralisaion as you're not going to be drinking it. :lookaround:   

Mine is from Osmotics btw, very reasonably priced as are replacement membranes.  hth :)  

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Tenchie said:

Same backgrounnd as me mate! This time around I grew in Coco with Growers Ark hard water nutrients & the plants stayed a nice healthy all the way through veg and flower.

What style of growing you thinking of? These were hand watered.

No experience with ro units.

Just a thought thats all.

All the best.

Tenchie.

Yeah we share the same crappy council juice. I’ve got my self a dwc system the oxypot XL and will be using advance nutrients P.H. perfect two part Sensi line. 

This is the reason for wanting a R.O unit as I understand I need to stay on the low side in DWC and my background E.C is not leaving me much play. 

Cheers Tenchie

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Saddam said:

4 stage is fine, mine takes my tap water EC from .7 to pretty much zero.  Not sure why you'd want remineralisaion as you're not going to be drinking it. :lookaround:   

Mine is from Osmotics btw, very reasonably priced as are replacement membranes.  hth :)  

So 4 stage would be better than the 3 stage? And using R.O water will I need to be adding any extra additives like calmag or is it not needed. 

Sorry for all the noob questions this is my first time doing hydro so want to get it right. 

Cheers 

Posted (edited)

Actually, just checked and mine's a 5 stage, apologies. :russian: 3 stage will be fine, I only opted for the 5 stage because I was also using the water for a marine aquarium and the de-ionisation filter was recommended for reef aquariums.  It was on offer at pretty much the same price as a 4 stage. :)    100% RO is quite difficult to work with, no buffering capability and awkward to pH,  1 drop of pH down can send your pH way down past where you want it.  I found it best to mix RO 50/50 with tapwater and use soft water nutes, much easier to pH and also gives you ample headroom for the nutrients. :) Never really needed to use cal/mag, just a tiny bit of Epsom salts early in flower, and possibly again but only if the plants look like they needed it.  

Edited by Saddam
1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, Saddam said:

Actually, just checked and mine's a 5 stage, apologies. :russian: 3 stage will be fine, I only opted for the 5 stage because I was also using the water for a marine aquarium and the de-ionisation filter was recommended for reef aquariums.  It was on offer at pretty much the same price as a 4 stage. :)    100% RO is quite difficult to work with, no buffering capability and awkward to pH,  1 drop of pH down can send your pH way down past where you want it.  I found it best to mix RO 50/50 with tapwater and use soft water nutes, much easier to pH and also gives you ample headroom for the nutrients. :) Never really needed to use cal/mag, just a tiny bit of Epsom salts early in flower, and possibly again but only if the plants look like they needed it.  

Sweet I’ll go for the 3 stage one then and use a 50/50 mix that way it should give me a background E.C of 0.3 ruffly.  I think the advance nutrient line is aimed at R.O water haven’t seen soft or hard variants. 

Cheers for the info buddy 

If your soil I really don't think its needed. Leaving water to sit to lower chlorine and goot nutrients do me fine when in soil

However, for my RDWC I've just recently got a GrowMax Mega Grow 1000. Its £300. I haven't used it yet so I cant give an honest opinion on how well it performs growing, but I can say it filters water from 0.7-0.8 down to 0.1 or less, and it fills a 250L water butt in about 7 hours. It came with a hose tap attachment so I can just attach a hose to the garden tap and sit the filter wherever needed.

I don't think its ideal, but long story short I'm 0.8 EC on bad days, I have 280L minimum of water to filter in one day and the little filters just wouldn't cut it. I needed something a bit more beefy.

Its a 3 stage filter but it can do the volume I need within the time frame I have. Something to bare in mind is that with water as shitty as our the membranes will likely need changing once every grow so pick one that you know you can get filters for or at least buy a few spares.

A few well know hydro stores sell the growmax so I assume its becoming a wider used tool for us growers. They do make smaller versions if you don't need as much as I do. :yep:

3 people like this

43 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

If your soil I really don't think its needed. Leaving water to sit to lower chlorine and goot nutrients do me fine when in soil

However, for my RDWC I've just recently got a GrowMax Mega Grow 1000. Its £300. I haven't used it yet so I cant give an honest opinion on how well it performs growing, but I can say it filters water from 0.7-0.8 down to 0.1 or less, and it fills a 250L water butt in about 7 hours. It came with a hose tap attachment so I can just attach a hose to the garden tap and sit the filter wherever needed.

I don't think its ideal, but long story short I'm 0.8 EC on bad days, I have 280L minimum of water to filter in one day and the little filters just wouldn't cut it. I needed something a bit more beefy.

Its a 3 stage filter but it can do the volume I need within the time frame I have. Something to bare in mind is that with water as shitty as our the membranes will likely need changing once every grow so pick one that you know you can get filters for or at least buy a few spares.

A few well know hydro stores sell the growmax so I assume its becoming a wider used tool for us growers. They do make smaller versions if you don't need as much as I do. :yep:

Cheers GreenVision I’m gonna be running a dwc oxypot XL 70litre system with one or two plants in. I think I’ve found a good enough unit from a site Saddam mentioned and it’s just under £100 will be more than enough for what I need doing a 50/50 mix and they sell all the spares so will probably grab a spare aswel. But I will have a look at the unit you mentioned before I purchase one. 

Cheers again 

1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

I use the power grow 500 by them and only good things to say. Not changed the filters/membranes in a year and still hitting less than 100ppm... Good bit of kit and worth every penny :yep:

2 people like this

1 hour ago, GreenVision said:

Cheers GreenVision I’m gonna be running a dwc oxypot XL 70litre system with one or two plants in. I think I’ve found a good enough unit from a site Saddam mentioned and it’s just under £100 will be more than enough for what I need doing a 50/50 mix and they sell all the spares so will probably grab a spare aswel. But I will have a look at the unit you mentioned before I purchase one. 

Cheers again 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Auto gorilla said:

Sorry for all the noob questions this is my first time doing hydro so want to get it right. 

2 hours ago, Auto gorilla said:

I’m gonna be running a dwc oxypot XL 70litre system with one or two plants in.

One thing you might want to consider with hydro, especially seeing as we're just about to hit Summer,  is how much the ambient temperature of your grow room and the specific heat capacity of water can affect the temperature of your dwc pots or reservoir, if your room's at 28°c then your water and more importantly, roots will also eventually hit that temperature given long enough in that heat. :pitchfork: That is unless you locate the res outside the grow room (I realise you aren't in a position to do that with oxypots) and/or install lots of insulation or use a water cooler.  

You don't want the nutrient solution temperature to go above 22°c or below 18°c, a fraction over 20ºc is where you want to aim ime. :)  

Edited to add - Stability is the key to success, and running a low EC. :D

Please don't quote my text in your reply mate, just use the @ function if you must. lol 

Edited by Saddam
1 person likes this

@Saddam yes I understand I don’t want the res temps getting warm I’ve done plenty of research on here and other forums. I got my self a water chiller so shouldn’t have any problems with temps in the res. 

This is the main reason for me wanting a to RO unit so I can run low EC and have more control over the feed. Thanks again for the info :smokin:

1 person likes this