Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MAD PROFESSOR

Hydroponic system water change

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I am a first-time grower and I have chosen to engage upon a the RDWC journey. All seems to be going very well but I have been told that I should change out the entire water in the system (400-500 litres) when I flip over to flower. has anyone got any experience of this?

The ladies are drinking at an incredible rate ( 20 litres a day) so I figured the whole system would have the new flower nutrients throughout within a few weeks. but according to this 'expert', the system should be changed.

All help welcome

Thanks

yes, you need to change the system out every couple of weeks.

some do it weekly but it depends on the capacity. I do mine every 10 days in bloom.

it prevents the build up of elements and reduces the chance of rot

2 people like this

As much of a pain in the arse I do it regardless of how long ago the water was changed. I cant say it "Should" be done, but my thinking was that once I am a week through I dont want the excessive nitrogen in the water that comes from base veg / grow nutrients. Not to mention I get to reset and check the ph and ec correctly.

But I don't let my water go longer than two weeks anyway so its never been an issue for me. I usually change my water, wait about 3-5 days then flip, then a week later change to bloom nutrients with a fresh change.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the advice.

It is a bit of a pain a l'arriere but if it has to be done then it has to be done.

Do you also flush out the system? as in drain it all, flush it and then refill?

I will get my wellies out!

Do you both use RO Water? and if so is it 100% or do you blend in to tap water to buffer?

I don't flush anything. I empty as much as I can, usually leaving a couple of inches of old nutes in the bottom of the pots, and  I refill straight from the tap.

easiest way is  a sump pump and length of hose.

I have just bought a wet and dry vacuum to suck out the last dregs in the bottom of the pots. hopefully it'll work well  

Do you measure your nutrients to the value of the 4-500 litres in your whole system?

Hi

When I initially filled the whole system I mixed up 400 litres of RO water with 800ML part-A and 800ml of part-B and 100ml Silver Bullet. This gave me an EC of 0.8 and a PH of 5.9. Over the last few weeks, I have increased the EC to 1.2 and maintained the PH between 5.8-6.1.

As advised above I will be doing a full system change this weekend and replacing them with the bloom nutrients. 

All seems to be going well I think but I am struggling to keep the RH of the room down, especially in the current weather!

2 people like this