Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nakela

Strange hook-like sprout

Hi guys,

Hope you can help me clear some doubts that I have with this one.

First time grower here.
I used a WW autoflower seed from a seedbank, had it germinated with the paper towel method and as soon as the tap root was 2-3mm planted it in good soil at a depth of about 15mm.
After 3 days it broke soil but had a helmet head, yesterday (day 5) the seed shell was loose and I managed to remove it gently and somewhat easily.
Today (day 6) it looks like a tiny hook (about 5mm) with yellow-brownish tones, and with a sort of whitish-translucid membrane at the end.

What may cause this? Will it grow or is it a lost cause? Any advice?

Thanks

large.FullSizeRender(4).jpglarge.FullSizeRender(3).jpglarge.FullSizeRender(2).jpglarge.FullSizeRender(1).jpg

2 people like this

Nothing wrong with that , just give it a very gentle squeeze on the end of the 'hook' (cotyledons) and the white membrane should slide off the tip and allow the leaves to open and growth to follow ! 

5 people like this

Thanks.

I did as you said and it came off.
Looking forward for the cotyledons to open.

Cheers

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Keep misting.  Not the soil but the top of the plant.  It makes the seed case/inner membrane more pliable and compliant.

If you haven't got a mister use a drop of water off yer finger to soak the cotyledons.  Shell most likely do it by herself. 

Patience is a virtue and plants, given the right environment  need little help by us fussy humans.

Edited by Phoenix
Spelling
4 people like this

Keep misting.  Not the soil but the top of the plant.  It makes the seed case/inner membrane more pliable and compliant.

If you haven't got a mister use a drop of water off yer finger to soak the cotyledons.  Shell most likely do it by herself. 

Patience is a virtue and plants, given the right environment  need little help by us fussy humans.

Thanks Phoenix.

I have been doing what you suggested (misting it very lightly) even after carefully removing the membrane and the cotyledons are already straightening up. Now I will just let it be.

2 people like this

7 hours ago, trimma said:

Nothing wrong with that , just give it a very gentle squeeze on the end of the 'hook' (cotyledons) and the white membrane should slide off the tip and allow the leaves to open and growth to follow ! 

Spot on advice, the seedling is just emerging from the seed case membrane and this is just the natural shape at that stage.

Sometimes, a seedling actually needs a little helping hand when the seed case is not coming off. Delicate touch is required if its still like that 24 hr later. If the seedling does not get rid of the case and membrane it will die. Just like sickly infants, the seedling might need some TLC.

Excellent photo from nakela. Makes me wish that little plant all the best. And the grower also. I'm sure it will work out fantastic.

2 people like this

It has been a week since it broke soil and it is not looking good at all.

One cotyledon is almost completely dry and brown and the other is starting to turn yellow. They didn't open all the way.
I tried not to overwater...and maybe ended up underwatering it (?)

Maybe I didn't flush properly before sowing the seed? Nutrient burn from rich soil?  

(Sorry for out of focus pics)

large.5d02261e7f9a3_FullSizeRender2.jpglarge.5d02261f79405_FullSizeRender3.jpg

If the seed casing comes off they always open ime..... That thin membrane dries out above ground and the seedling will shed it easily. You may have damaged the plant by removing the membrane prematurely..... There's every chance the plants first true leaves will develop OK.... 

2 people like this

Fingers crossed!

It’ll be fine mate.  I’ve seen this lots and 99% of the time they work out ok. All the best bro

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This thread coming when it did saved one of the 2 plants in my first grow over the weekend (diary in the Dinafem section, not gonna plug it here), and the only CBD seed I'd germed, so MASSIVE thanks to the OP and the guys that replied - seriously.

I'd been idly browsing threads & only when I got home to find a sickly looking hook-root hovering about half a CM under the surface did I put 2 & 2 together.

I might not have been quite as dexterous as would be ideal (read - "I was ham-fisted") but it appears to have saved the wee tiddler so yeah it was worth me searching out this thread & coming back to say cheers to you all specifically.

Ok soppy bo**ocks is done for now. Carry on! :skin_up:

Edited by Jimmeh
2 people like this

It's been two weeks since it broke soil, still very tiny not-opened first true leaves and the cotyledons seem to be closing up. As if it was "receding" back to a seed...

Certainly not developing well.

Is it overpotting? Not enough oxygen? "Hot" substrate? Any thoughts?