Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Budmaster66

How important is run off in coco ?

66 posts in this topic

Hi guys as the title says how important is run off in coco will be using 11-15 litre pots and will be hand feeding? 

Plus any ideas or tips on how to manage the run off once in the bottom trays/saucers ? 

Thanks 

1 minute ago, Budmaster66 said:

Hi guys as the title says how important is run off in coco will be using 11-15 litre pots and will be hand feeding? 

Plus any ideas or tips on how to manage the run off once in the bottom trays/saucers ? 

Thanks 

check my diary, i planned to run off every time but due to logistics and secrecy in house, to avoid humidity problems, i found feeding twice daily alternating between small volume then larger volume of feed depending on dryness, i also staggered my feeding from weak 1.2ec strong 1.4 stronger 1.6 weaker 1.2 weak1.4 strong 1.6 etc depending on how my plants looked, also helped me vary in and out calmag AB pk13/14 etc. i think ideally run off is best but, it can be done without successfully :) imo.

3 people like this

my plants appeared to be ok when I tried coco, I did a couple of grows feeding same as I do compost every 2 to 3 days, is to demanding for me feeding everyday and getting rid of an overflow, I went back to compost.

1 person likes this

Tips:

Yeah it can be a pain in the arse getting rid of your runoff! I have 9 plants in a 1.2 tent and hand water. All I do is go round each plant watering/feeding with a 500ml jug,and just watch the drainage holes as I go,when it starts to dribble out I then leave them for 5-7 minutes! Then I remove one plant and use a spare saucer and its just a case of liftting the plant put it on the spare saucer and tip whats in the original saucer away,like move one empty one and so on.I use deeppan saucers.

Theres probally alot easier ways,like garland trays with a tilt and runoff will run to the front then you can use 100ml syringe or a large car sponge to soak it up and rince it into your waste bucket.Best way I seen,can`t remember the member tho,but they had built a mental frame with like a wire grid,the plants sat on top of the grid and there was enough room under the frame to put little cat litter trays the caught the runoff,simply pour away and replace under plants.

Have fun.

Tenchie.

4 people like this

I've always watered to 20 - 30% run off in coco, so everything I say is based on theory. Basically, it maintains a healthy medium for your roots... Run-off cleans out any potential nute build up, and, brings fresh oxygen into the pots - all good for the roots health! It prevents stagnation in the pots...

Tips for getting rid of run off... I use a large drip tray that fits the bottom of my 60X60 footprint - best to check these very carefully for leaks before use and definitely if you place a heating source underneath. Elevate the pots on upturned saucers, that way they will drain into the large drip-tray, which can be drained with whatever you have to do the job - I use a turkey baster and then mop up with sponge cloths. Its a pain in the ass, but easier than lifting the plants around every time you water them.

The one disadvantage of this method is that it does not allow the pots to drawn anything back from the run-off - but, if you water daily, or more often, and water at a reasonably slow rate, the medium should be well hydrated without needing to take anything up.

Tupence!

:v:

3 people like this

Run off once a week to check EC/PPM is enough I have found. I don't really find the need to measure run off every time as I know my nutrient profile for the most part and the plant will usually be pretty dialled in once flowering. Of course it is subjective, I have just switched to LED for example and having to feed to run off everyday to make adjustments to my profile (In the case of LED, it needs more cal mag supplement I have learnt, probably due to the light intensity difference). Normally I would just hand water a couple of litres a day in 11l pots and then once a week a bit more to get that run off. Something to play around with while you get experienced with coir. 

So yes, run off is definitely a must when you want to see what is going on. Collect it in the pot saucers and have the plants slightly elevated on something with a waste/overflow collection tray below. 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Tenchie said:

Best way I seen,can`t remember the member tho,but they had built a mental frame with like a wire grid,the plants sat on top of the grid and there was enough room under the frame to put little cat litter trays the caught the runoff,simply pour away and replace under plants.

I've been toying with a similar idea at moment as I've just nute locked 4 plants out, each in 20L buckets so had to flush 5L and then mop 5L up with a car sponge and repeat repeat repeat. Took me nearly 5 hrs in total so had plenty of thinking time whilst doing it.

As I'm on a budget I was looking at a 1m x 1m section of metal grill fence on a wood frame sat about 8 inches above a 1m2 tray that had a tilt on it. I've currently got 7 plants vegging sat in wire storage trays sat on under bed storage boxes and its so much easier as just go back after 30 mins and mop up.

1 person likes this

I use 11 l pots and feed once a day hand watered

I sit my pots on upturned bowls so they drain freely and not sat in any runoff 

Then just move the plant ,remove bowl and tip the run off out of the deep saucers 

Because there never sat in any run off I can empty the saucers at some point during the day when it's convenient for me .

4 people like this

Thanks guys I was thinking of using a Danish hydro tray raised of the bottom of the tent 1 ft or so then pipping it up to run into a waste bucket ? 

Dont know if this will work it's just an idea at the moment but any help or advice will be much  appreciate 

thanks 

3 people like this

Is there any sort of wet vac we could use to remove runoff? Imagine it would be alot easier however water and electric give me the fear.Keep them coming guys....

Tenchie.

4 people like this

19 minutes ago, Tenchie said:

Is there any sort of wet vac we could use to remove runoff?

That south american jungle site ;) has a water vac for £25! You can also get a hand powered siphon pump for a little under that price.

Glad you mentioned that, I never bothered to look one up before! Def useful for larger grows than mine.

:v:

1 person likes this

@Slugums

Cheers bud will check it out after my tea.  :yinyang:

Tenchie.

1 person likes this

Try a siphon pump which fits on end of cordless drill to pump out tray into bucket outside of grow area about £12 without the hosing.

Wet Vacs induce maximum smugness :ninja:

3 people like this

Plastics tray on your floor of tent , plants on saucers upside down , then buy yourself a little mop and bucket just for your growing , you will be able to get the mop head to the back of your tent/tray with out breaking your back :bong: