Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

yacobo

Germination issues

51 posts in this topic
Just now, michaeldbc said:

It should crack that seed casing off in no time good luck they get alot hardier after a week or 2 

Don't give it any nutrients yet either mate has enough for a week or 2 already in the seed 

Thanks will do, just regular water for time being but probably wont need watering for quite a few days yet :)

Posted (edited)

@yacobo

Dont take the seed husk off. It holds the nutes that are feeding the seedling until it gets roots and leaves.

It should come off in its own sweet time.

Be patient...................

Edited by Kipper420
2 people like this

Just now, yacobo said:

Thanks will do, just regular water for time being but probably wont need watering for quite a few days yet :)

Yeah you can tell when they want more if that seed casing hasn't come off on it's own in like 48 hours you may want to think about home surgery and gently removing with tweezers (But this is a recipe for disaster) and iv had several seedlings come out this way in the past all of which has cracked it off themselves I know it's hard at first I used to pretty much watch my ladies grow lol but patience is key in this game good luck 

1 person likes this

If you over water the roots wont try going to look for water lower down and will probably rot.

Try a 20% mix of coconut water to water to promote root growth. Available in super markets I get mine at lidl 100% thai coconut water in a pint carton. Seaweed extract works well too and maybe some mycorrhizal powder in the soil. Works for me.

Start as you mean to go on with a wet dry cycle.

1 person likes this

whereas i have no problem germinating just struggling with the afterwards grow lol 

I saw a little more progress today! :D

NL:

large.20190607_210541_compress36.jpglarge.20190607_210535_compress24.jpg

Fat Banana seed has shown itself:

large.20190607_210547_compress28.jpglarge.20190607_210552_compress96.jpg

1 person likes this

I find the seed husks tend to get stuck a bit when I haven't planted deep enough.  Tend to go for about 1cm these days.  Nice to see them popping through.  Every time it happens in my groom, I go running downstairs and tell the missus we're parents again.

5 people like this

Just now, JJJ said:

I find the seed husks tend to get stuck a bit when I haven't planted deep enough.  Tend to go for about 1cm these days.  Nice to see them popping through.  Every time it happens in my groom, I go running downstairs and tell the missus we're parents again.

Yes know that feeling..i get a toothpick and gently gently like help it off along with membrane..akin to open heart surgery i`d imagine the stress..:sweaty:

3 people like this

I helped the seed shell off the fat banana as I could see leaves under the soil on Friday and I don't think I damaged it.

It's been 3/4 days since then but both seedlings don't seem to be progressing much, in fact I cant see any progress at all. The leaves are still curled up like when they first came out of the seed casing and they are barely above the soil (coco) level. 

Is this normal? Have I stunted their growth? Have I killed them again? Maybe I'm just stressing over nothing but was expecting to have a lot more progress by this point. Please see pics below, sorry about the lighting they look more green in real life: 

large.20190609_132330_compress2.jpglarge.20190609_132322_compress31.jpg

Posted (edited)

Sorry  to be the bearer of bad news but as you've guessed all is not as it should be. To put it politely they look a little bit fooked. Best get a pic taken in natural light though because that red hellish glow might be making them look worse lol What you watering/feeding them? PH? Water and air temp? Size pot?

Edited by Green demon

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'll try get some better pics this evening. Definitely looks worse on the pics than real life! Haha

Just planted them directly into a 10L fabric pot of saturated coco, not given them any more water yet. Didn't PH the water it was around 7 though I believe and just room temperature.

Still hoping they are going to pull through!

Edited by yacobo

Are you giving them the full spectrum of light?  It looks very pink.  Best to start in a small starter pot too.  A little above room temperature would be ideal at this stage.  Hope they pull through but it might be worth starting some more seeds.

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Are you giving them the full spectrum of light?  It looks very pink.  Best to start in a small starter pot too.  A little above room temperature would be ideal at this stage.  Hope they pull through but it might be worth starting some more seeds.

Damn it, I'm not having much luck am I hahaha. That's with just the growth switch on rather than bloom and growth. I have the light 24 inches above the soil as recommended by the light's instruction manual for the germination and seedling stage.

May have to think about popping more seeds. I wonder if it's just because I keep messing around trying to help them out. I need to learn just to leave them alone!

Edited by yacobo

On 04/06/2019 at 3:53 PM, Kipper420 said:

And wait for tap root a  bit longer.1cm is fine.

I once left mine to get a bit too long

gallery_46705_2371_177780.jpg

4 people like this

@Amnesia and they grew fine right ?