Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ison

how much noise?

34 posts in this topic
14 minutes ago, JJJ said:

So do I mate.  Configured properly, the outlet is completely silent.  Pin your ducting to the back of the curtain so it's just below window level and you're good to go.

ah right, sounds promising. how have you got yours set up? 

@ison A box of parts with no manual? :nono:

3 boards on a hlg-320H-48A would be wired like this below. Make sure you use at least 0.75mm wire on the dc side.

large.hlg-320H.png

4 people like this

@ison

Get yourself to the nearest grow shop and ask the guys there to whack their fans on full blast.

I`m sure a lot would accommodate your request.

If it helps, I find the 30w oscillating fan from secret garden is louder than my extraction (no joke bud) AND ...... I sleep in the same room as my tent no issues.

Aidwej

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

With fans something to take into consideration is that the movement of air will make noise no matter what you do with the extractor. I have forked out on S & P silent fans, made acoustic boxes and literally had the fan making noise no louder than a PC, yet because it is blasting air around in ducting it is pretty noisy still. 

Some things you can do to combat this is:

- The best solution is to get soil pipe and make solid ducting and it will reduce nearly all the noise.

- If you use normal alu. ducting, try the insulated/acoustic versions - they are heavy and a lot more expensive but again can block out a lot of the noise.

- Try to reduce bends in the ducting to as minimal as possible, not only will it be more efficient but also more quiet.

- Use a much bigger extractor than needed and use a controller to run it at like 30% power, this will give you the quietest fan and reduce air noise while pushing around more volume.

As someone has said earlier, you will notice the noise way more than anyone else ever would and it could just sound like a household extractor in bathroom, kitchen, chimney etc. Always good to be as stealth as possible though, especially if you are trying to sleep next to it :) 

Edited by InTheSystem
1 person likes this

8 hours ago, ison said:

ah right, sounds promising. how have you got yours set up? 

It all depends on how much graft you're willing to put into it.  For total or almost total silence you'll need to build some king of box in which your fan will be housed.  Mine is suspended inside a thick wooden box but my set up is a little unorthodox (fan and filter both inside the box - blowing through the filter) then out through much wider ducting to the outside world.

There are countless ways to do it but you need to put some work into into and invest a little if you want it really quiet.

Just follow the advice others have given you here:

• Use a fan controller
  • over-size ducting, especially the outlet ducting
  • insulate/isolate the fan
  • suspend the fan and filter

You know you can do it.:yep:

2 people like this

13 hours ago, rabbit69 said:

:clown::clown: pile of burning tyres for 11 weeks works well, kids loved the atmosphere at dad's at the weekend!! 

Upgraded to a swish waterfeature a while back, the neighbours talk to me again now  :oldtoker:

That shiz is hilarious! 

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, JJJ said:

It all depends on how much graft you're willing to put into it.  For total or almost total silence you'll need to build some king of box in which your fan will be housed.  Mine is suspended inside a thick wooden box but my set up is a little unorthodox (fan and filter both inside the box - blowing through the filter) then out through much wider ducting to the outside world.

There are countless ways to do it but you need to put some work into into and invest a little if you want it really quiet.

Just follow the advice others have given you here:

• Use a fan controller
  • over-size ducting, especially the outlet ducting
  • insulate/isolate the fan
  • suspend the fan and filter

You know you can do it.:yep:

cheers mate. going to leave it until a bit later in the summer* and that will give me chance build the acoustic boxes, get the variac** controlled fans sorted and what not. and of course read up a bit more.

must admit i was close to knocking the idea on the head yesterday, but nah fuck it, this feels like something i should be doing.

any hows, thanks again all for the advice.

* i wanted to try DWC for my first grow, but the guy in the growshop dissuaded me, claiming that summers are too warm for that dahn sarf without chillers. 

** are the ones from Ebay " Variac Fan Speed Controller 240V Variable Transformer Reduced Hum Hydroponics " ok?

1 person likes this

Good luck mate, and you're right - prepare your environment and make it safe.  Start with a nice soil/compost and keep it simple to begin with. :yep:

Posted (edited)

You shouldn't grow in a room with any strangers going in or out. With the door shut you shouldn't be able to hear fuck all. The sound of whooshing air doesn't seem to travel where as vibration noise from the fan will. 

I've got a 10 inch tornado fan in the loft that's on full blast mostly during lights on and the whooshing sound is pretty fecking loud in the loft, close the hatch and you can't hear a thing. 

Vibrations though are a fucker. You can hear a desk fan whirring away if you sit in on the wrong spot through the whole house at night.... 

Edited by Sargares
1 person likes this

On 6/2/2019 at 10:17 AM, Aidwej said:

@ison

Get yourself to the nearest grow shop and ask the guys there to whack their fans on full blast.

I`m sure a lot would accommodate your request.

If it helps, I find the 30w oscillating fan from secret garden is louder than my extraction (no joke bud) AND ...... I sleep in the same room as my tent no issues.

Aidwej

yep, get yourself down to a decent shop that stocks a few models, start plugging them in and listening :)

I was left to play with 2000+ notes worth of equipment and told to help myself. I was mix and matching all sorts. Can't remember what was what but I picked the EC revolutions in the end, it was that or the Phresh Hyperfans but I opted for overkill. The 300mm (the big bastard, can't remember the exact size) RVK on full, now that was fucking loud I do remember!

Small pond and water feature, those things are great for noise blocking. You might end up getting complaints about that if you set it up right and drop the water from the right height/spread.

Anyone who has wind chimes needs shooting during the summer :P I nearly made a set out of scaffolding just to get back at a past neighbour that had the fuckers. Ding ding, ting ting, ding ding.. all fucking night in summer with the windows open.

41 minutes ago, GreenPirate said:

Small pond and water feature, those things are great for noise blocking.

You're a genius. Just what i need :ninja:

1 person likes this

Just now, diyleduk said:

You're a genius. Just what i need :ninja:

I cannot hear anything from the outlet until about 1-2ft from it, 10" EC. I've got the water dropping from about 12" at a reasonable rate, it's quite chill to listen to it and smoke as well :)

I thought about making a gravity fed system, you have more get up and go than me.. mine is still stored in the brain and not made it to the pond yet!

Idea was to have enough pipe under the water, then have enough drop back down past the highest point to have the water drop back down and constantly fed.

My other idea was to have a big perspex box for the fish to swim up into and above the water level so I could see them using physics to hold the water there. Still, that's in the brain for another day and perspex is fucking expensive and i'd have to weld a mount together to hold that much water.

(not that helps the noise problem, just waffling)

1 person likes this

My extraction is venting just below an open window with very little noise, the oscillating fan is another matter, can't hear it outside the door of the room, but vibrates through the floor. Are  the tower fans any quieter? Or any suggestions for damping material?

34 minutes ago, sweepy said:

My extraction is venting just below an open window with very little noise, the oscillating fan is another matter, can't hear it outside the door of the room, but vibrates through the floor. Are  the tower fans any quieter? Or any suggestions for damping material?

If your oscillating fan is attached to the tent pole directly then that will be causing vibrations down the poles and through the floor.  Try using a piece of foam between the bracket and the pole - should help. Yes, the circulating fan is often the noisiest part of the system because there's not much you can do to silence it.  Failing that, suspend a short length of pole (preferably a heavy one) by a chain or strong string from the ceiling poles then attach your fan to that - vibrations gone.

Just now, JJJ said:

If your oscillating fan is attached to the tent pole directly then that will be causing vibrations down the poles and through the floor.  Try using a piece of foam between the bracket and the pole - should help. Yes, the circulating fan is often the noisiest part of the system because there's not much you can do to silence it.  Failing that, suspend a short length of pole (preferably a heavy one) by a chain or strong string from the ceiling poles then attach your fan to that - vibrations gone.

At the moment I just have a desk type oscillating fan sitting in the floor, which is OK till the Mrs has a hot flush and finds out I've swiped it:)  I wonder if sitting it on a bag of sand might help.

1 person likes this