Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Herbert Spliffington

Unhappy Babies - White, yellow, brown leaves? Please help!

19 posts in this topic

These are RGSC babies of various ages, all in 1/2L peat pots John Innes seed sowing compost with Perlite.  I've sometimes been feeding them very diluted organic tomato fertiliser w/ seaweed.  Otherwise just water.

They are under cheap shit Chinese eBay LEDs (2 x "50W" + 1 x "100W") in a cupboard with pretty poor ventilation.  I open the door when I can and usually have a fan going in there.  But I have considered that the ventilation and humidity are probably far from optimal.

I'm told these first ones, whitening at the edges, might be cold nights?  What do you think?

large.5cf2303dd9ce3_IMG_20190601_0836562792.jpglarge.5cf2302cc58ec_IMG_20190601_0837429132.jpg

Then these brown bits, I've read both over and under feeding can cause.  

large.5cf2304744b7c_IMG_20190601_0836366482.jpglarge.5cf230379052d_IMG_20190601_0837158092.jpg

Finally, this guy just looks unwell.  Yellowed leaves with sort of crispy brown detail.  This photo looked good on my phone, if I get responses to this I could take some clearer and better-lit photos.

large.5cf2302062542_IMG_20190601_0838597542.jpg

If you have any advice I'd really appreciate it!  Cheers guys

Lights on and off temp?

How often are you watering?

The first one looks a little like nute burn and the rest look a little like overwatering and/or cold temps. How strong was the feed you made up? you shouldn't need to be feeding them this early, will be plenty of nutes in the compost. 

6 people like this

4 minutes ago, Cursed said:

Lights on and off temp?

How often are you watering?

The first one looks a little like nute burn and the rest look a little like overwatering and/or cold temps. How strong was the feed you made up? you shouldn't need to be feeding them this early, will be plenty of nutes in the compost. 

I don't actually know the temperatures, I've never measured it, tend to put my hand it and feel.  During the day it can get pretty hot in there (after the lights have been on several hours) and I try to vent it.  At night I'm sure it gets chilly but I thought this was better to prepare them for real life outside.  A digital thermometer is definitely on the shopping list for next time...

These days I'm watering roughly once per day.  If the back of my finger feels at all cold against the compost, I don't water.  I let the compost dry out properly before watering again.

I know you shouldn't feed too early but these plants are all several weeks old, seemingly stunted and not getting bigger, so I thought a tiny nute boost might help.  I have been adding the smallest amount of fert I can to my water sprayer, literally a teardrop or two.  Though it is quite concentrated so I might have misjudged it.  I have been feeding them depending on their age, the biggest and oldest get fert water most of the time, while the baby ones and brown/ill looking ones only get water.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, from your description my best guess would be they’re getting cold at lights out and/or you might have a big temperature range (they can handle a bit of cold as long as it doesn’t become cold after very hot).

this has stunted growth, by then feeding them you have over fed them as they aren’t taking up nutrients. 

Id get a thermometer ASAP and monitor temps, in the meantime just water if they dry out and hope they recover.

@Owderb you’ll probably have a better idea, don’t want to give shit advice

Maybe have a look at roots to, make sure they look healthy

I'd agree with Cursed mate. Can't underestimate the need for ventilation, without it, especially with low temps, pots can stay wet for far too long. Although 1/2L pots ain't big I'd start seeds in something smaller, little coco pellets are my favourite, once roots are established in that then I'd go 1/2L. 

I grow in compost and as an example these clones below are 7/8 weeks in compost and haven't had any feed other than additives.

large.IMG_7228.jpg

I get get what you're saying about them going outside so letting them get used to it but IMO you need to get a plant healthy, rooted in a pot, then start to acclimatise it to the outside environment by hardening off. This usually means putting the plant out in the day and bringing it in at night until it's warm enough to leave it out unprotected.

2 people like this

Take it they never get watered till runoff?

Soil might have gone sour in those peat pots, they look pretty tough.

Might as well start again.  Keep them warm and feed only water until they're bigger.  Insulating your pots can help.

I'd also suggest your watering way too often drowning what little rootmass you have. I'll have clones in pots half that size under HID lighting and they don't need watering everyday. I'd suggest getting a moisture probe so you can see exactly how wet/dry your medium actually is below the surface.

@Herbert Spliffington

Going outside? Fuck the grow room or whatever you’re using off and start again with new seeds and new dirt. You’ve just got time if you germinate now and use a window sill. 10 days later plant out. Sometimes it’s just easier, cheaper and more reliable to do things low tech. 

2 people like this

First of all, thank you all for pitching in with guidance!  It is much appreciated.

I have just bought a thermometer/humidity monitoring device which should be here in a few days.

In the mean time, I will:

-Cut the fertiliser: all plants will get pure water

-Make more of an effort to keep it cool during the day and warm at night

-Get them outside, under the sun, with wind and fresh air etc. etc. as much as possible on good days

To everyone saying I'm over watering by doing so every day, there is a high perlite content in the compost because I've heard so much about how important air to the roots is.  I think this aids it drying out.  I know the middle of the pot will still hold some water but when I do water the top compost is completely dry and crispy.  I water so the top is properly "wet" (but not sitting on the top) and let it flow down.  I don't water til it drips out of the bottom.  

I have two Auto Mazars just poking through (my only autos).  These are in the same compost/perlite mix, in the same 1/2L peat pots.  Any advice on these?  Should I put them in the cupboard?  Or not bother?

I might buy a few more autos to up my odds...

Posted (edited)

@Herbert Spliffington

Don't over think the watering. I've just started some seedlings off. I placed enough B and Q compost to fill 3/4 of a 0.25 litre pot that had been watered but not heavily (moist to the touch). I placed my seed in a small hole 1 - 1.5 cm deep and then placed soil on top and watered in. That was 7 days ago and i gave them some water for the first time today. Once they went into the compost they were placed into a propagator and left somewhere dark. Once they were above soil i moved them to a windowsill for 2-3 days (spray/mist occasionally but not necessary). They now go outside every day with the prop vents open but closed enough so its humid. Give it a few more days and i'll leave them outside day and night for a few days before taking the lid off. a few more days then and i'll think about planting out or potting up if they stay in the garden.

Sorry if i'm teaching you to suck eggs but basically don't stress about watering seedlings too often, they don't have the roots yet to drink much and can be drowned very easily. if the soil dries out give them some water, otherwise leave them be. I've watered once in 7-8 days and probably won't need to again for at least 3 or 4, possibly more, depends how hot and how much they start to drink as they put roots out.

Edited by Cursed
3 people like this

@Cursed

Cheers dude, that is really, really, really fucking helpful.  Having killed off my first few photos by under watering I think I've been terrified of doing it again.  But they were in tiny jffy plugs which try out in a jiffy (ha) and half a litre of compost is quite a different story.

There's so much advice on this but you can't really give it accurately without being there, seeing/feeling the compost, squirting the squirter...

reading your account has really really changed my ideas about watering.  When I've been away for a night I've made sure someone is there to water, and seems like I was stressing for nothing.

I will definitely leave big gaps between watering now and only give a light misting when the top is bone dry. 

Thanks again man!

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Herbert Spliffington said:

reading your account has really really changed my ideas about watering.  When I've been away for a night I've made sure someone is there to water, and seems like I was stressing for nothing.

I will definitely leave big gaps between watering now and only give a light misting when the top is bone dry. 

Thanks again man!

Its a hard one because it becomes somewhat intuitive when you've done it lots and like you say, its hard to get idea of scale when reading a description (e.g. how wet is wet?).

essentially keep an eye on them but don't worry too much, its easy to over water. If they are seedlings on a window sill in a propagator that's humid they won't need watering that regularly. If you carry on the road you were on with them under lights then they will need watering more regularly but again, unless its hot, not too often. Just try to keep an eye on things. Again, it becomes intuitive and you can tell from the plant and the soil when they need some water. Once they start putting roots out you will need to be watering more regularly as they drink more but that will still probably be only every 3-5 days.

Any more issues just stick some pics up.

Edited by Cursed
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Herbert Spliffington said:

I know you shouldn't feed too early but these plants are all several weeks old, seemingly stunted and not getting bigger, so I thought a tiny nute boost might help. 

Sorry Herbert, The actual reason they’re not well is because you’ve loved em to death. Several weeks old!!! Seriously, start again and learn from your errors. To be fair you can even start to germinate on site now so there’s no reason not to get going straight away and get a result in 3 months time with autos and a 5 months with photos. 

Read up on how to prep and plant outside.  

Edited by Lea Valley
Punctuation
2 people like this