Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ScottishStemSmoker

HPS, CMH OR LED?

21 posts in this topic

Awright folks, im currently using a 250w hps and i have no complaints but im curious. Has anyone used all 3 with similar watt outputs and really noticed that much of a difference?  

CMH - best light spectrum by far and highest PAR output for the money. :) 

5 people like this

Just now, Saddam said:

plant health will out weigh lumens all day long its not all about how bright it is,im running a few candles here compared to others ive seen + im filling my boots crop after crop. :D

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, ScottishStemSmoker said:

Awright folks, im currently using a 250w hps and i have no complaints but im curious. Has anyone used all 3 with similar watt outputs and really noticed that much of a difference?  

I've used HPS and CMH, I had better results with CMH. Currently trying out LED and things are looking good so far. There's definitely more to it than just the lights though :) 

4 people like this

14 minutes ago, DBK said:

I've used HPS and CMH, I had better results with CMH. Currently trying out LED and things are looking good so far. There's definitely more to it than just the lights though :) 

look here tried and tested bach. :yep:  light is a big player dont get me wrong !!  but ive got mates growing out my cuttings with 2kw...3kw.  of lighting + the daft fukas get 2 oz plants lol  ive tried education but all they want is turnover. :skin_up:  dozy fukas.   :yep:

Edited by thekingofobsolete
fukin spelling again
3 people like this

hps all day :yep:  or a box of swan + a pie tray. :mashed:

2 people like this

ignore me i got it all mixed up......but buy a HPS :yep:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Saddam said:

Aye the boy in my local grow shop said the same but id like to see clones from the same plant under the 3 lights that would be interesting.   

37 minutes ago, DBK said:

So what is your verdict so far between the 3? I know there is far much more to it than your light, i was just curious to peoples experiences with different lights. A lot of the reviews and comparisons online are biased because most of the time they are trying to promote or sell the light.     

14 minutes ago, thekingofobsolete said:

ignore me i got it all mixed up......but buy a HPS :yep:

Already got a HPS brother, just wondered if anyone had done them side by side and seen a real difference. Can't see me changing from hps because that's what i started with and I've never had any complaints or issues.

I used to run small CMH and HPS tents side by side and i always prefered the CMH smoke. 

Its all personal preference at the end of the day. 

5 people like this

For me HPS doesn't even come close to LED and CMH so if someone asks me if its worth upgrading I'd say yes.

As for LED vs CMH I think that comes down to too many factors for anyone to give you a straight answer. Wattage per £ and Spectrum are paramount for sure, but there is more than just that to decide on when choosing a light.

I LOVE my CMH I really do, but I want LED for my reasons, not because someone here throws a few facts about what they are or what they're not.

My advice is think about your grow area, grow style, budget, electricity costs and then choose a light source. So many times I have convinced myself I should go this one, then back to that one, but in the end I needed one more than the other because of my particular situation and grow style.  

Edited by GreenVision
6 people like this

2 people like this

11 hours ago, ScottishStemSmoker said:

So what is your verdict so far between the 3? I know there is far much more to it than your light, i was just curious to peoples experiences with different lights. A lot of the reviews and comparisons online are biased because most of the time they are trying to promote or sell the light.     

Temps have been much better with the LED and I'm not as bothered about the plant getting closer to the unit. CMH gave me some very nice looking and tasting buds, plants looked really healthy with tight nodes but it was still quite a hot unit. I grow in quite a small space so in the end, once I've tried the harvest under LED, I'll probably be sticking with it. I never ran clones side by side to really test the difference, but for me personally and my grow area, so far I'm very happy with the LED unit.

Ultimately I grew nice buds under HPS, CMH and hopefully LED. Is it worth an upgrade? Well if I was already thinking or needing to change equipment, then yes I would make the switch from HPS. 

3 people like this

I have gone from HPS to CMH and now to LED very recently after much research and discussion.... They are all quite different that is for sure.. What I can say is that HPS should be ruled out of the 3 unless you are running a big area and 1000w HPS bulbs... CMH and LED are superior on both quality and yield. I even know people on DE Gavitas switching to LM301 Leds as they are getting the same yield on 550 watts of led as they are on 750w of Gavita DE.

As mentioned CMH is the best bang for your buck really on an initial spend... Otherwise I would say bypass them and go straight for LED (LM301b's) and will save you money in the long run. The LED's run as hot or hotter than CMH I would say, but they give off less heat downwards at the plants as it's absorbed by heatsinks above and its more spread out.

Edited by InTheSystem
1 person likes this