Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Idealbatch

EC/ppm? Help me pls!

So I’m 4/5 weeks Into my first grow and they have recently all dropped and just look unhappy, nondiscoulouration other than the odd old fan leaf has slight brown/rusty patches which I was going to strip of soon anyway, I had them under a 250w mh and they was loving it, I did my first defoliation (3/4) upper leaves a plant to allow light penetration to lower heads, and started lst and swapped to a 400w hps dual spectrum to add heat and get them used to it before flipping to 12/12.

i don’t think my environment is an issue as I’ve had consisntnt temps/humidity other than the odd Low temp 18/19 during light on on cold nights. I doubt I’ve over watered as I’m in coco, I never let my pots dry out longer than 12/24 hours max so not underwatering, intransplanted yesterday I’d say they was definitely ready for a bigger home as they was borderline root bound. Only think I could think that’s upsetting them is light-too far too close? A sudden change?Don’t really know what’s ideal I have it around 2 foot away atm on 400w. Or shock from the recent defoliation/lst? Or that they was root bound? 

Or my main subject! Nutrients! I’m using canna coco a&b at 2ml of each to 1 litre and ph at 6.0 using root stim and that is it! No burn and if anything I’ve been on the lower end of feed chart! So don’t think I’m over feeding, although I feed every time I water? I’ve ordered an ec pen so I can be more accurate and check run of but it’s confused the hell out of me with the 3 different conversions to ppm why don’t people just use ec if it’s uneversallly standard? What’s a rule of thumb with ec? No more than 1.0 in veg and no more than 1.6 in flower. Could any kind hearted soul offer me any advice on why they could be dropping? Am I missing something obvious aha. And why do much confusion with ppm conversions? Surely it’s easier to just do ec? So annoying! Thank you.

Posted (edited)

a ec pen would be a good thing to get, that way you will know for sure ,because your water background could be high or low, depending on where in the counrtry you are.

and  you shouldn't be letting them dry our between feeds, coco needs to be continuously moist.

are you feeding them till there is run off?

oh and stop pulling leaves off them, it will stress them out. and the leaves are there for a reason.

a photo taken during lights off would be a great help, otherwise we are just guessing. 

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

the brown patchy leaves could be an indication that it needs cal mag.

Posted (edited)

@badbillybob thank you for your reply mate! So I’ve got an update, I ordered an ec pen the other day knowing they had drooped, come home tonight and watered one of the plants to run of, the one  I left in the 4 litre pots they was in before transplanting the rest of them and it was at 1.6ec! I tested the same nutrient mix I had been feeding at it was at 1.4, the canna range I’m following recommend this but I imagine they are a bit too high!? They recommend 1.5-1.7 including water and my water is hard, it’s 0.5ec

My ph going in had mainly been 6.0 and came out at 5.6, I only fed them until run of once but left the little bit in the bottom of the drip tray? Should I be removing like 20% run of? And do you think I should pain ph water every now and again? 

I dont know how to upload photos from my iPhone mate, I’m useless haha 

Edited by Idealbatch

Posted (edited)

Never let them sit in the runoff. Its super annoying, but necessary. That couls be causing nutes to lockout. Magnesium especially i think. And you can get root rot.

Edited by FigmentofFig
2 people like this

3 hours ago, FigmentofFig said:

Never let them sit in the runoff. Its super annoying, but necessary. That couls be causing nutes to lockout. Magnesium especially i think. And you can get root rot.

Yeah to be honest I think that’s whats happened! Can’t see it being anything else! Another lesson learned! Hopefully now I’ve transplanted and give them a big watered down feed at half what I normally do they’ll bounce back to life! Ive bought a big sringe type thing to suck all the run of out the trays after too! Thanks for the help! 

1 person likes this

You can definitely over water coco , nothing likes being saturated 24/7 . And also if you haven't been watering to run off and allowing it to drink it's own run off back up , theres a good chance you may have locked the plants out because of the excess nutrients that have built up in your root zone , due to no run off 

1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, The yeti said:

You can definitely over water coco , nothing likes being saturated 24/7 . And also if you haven't been watering to run off and allowing it to drink it's own run off back up , theres a good chance you may have locked the plants out because of the excess nutrients that have built up in your root zone , due to no run off 

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s what I’ve done! I’ve transplanted them into a big pot and give them a big half dose feed and I was giving them the minimum recomended by canna for the age so should be low enough to let them get going again, give them a light foliage spray last night after lights of and they seem like I might have just caught it in the nick of time, thank you! 

You might not need to water every day if you've just potted them up , pick the pot up if it's still really heavy give it another day before watering/feeding again . It's a mistake we've probably all made at the at some point . It sounds more like a over watering problem than a ec issue to me 

Its not uncommon for plants to droop for a few hours after potting up - are they looking spritely again? Changing to a stronger light can also make em flop, but they will come back in time and faster if the light is backed off for a bit.

Nothing much to add aside from repeating what's been said... A pic would be good... also, although brown patching can be cal def, in my limited experience, cal def can also be a sign of lock-out, especially where other signs are present. If you are not regularly dropping as low as 18c or staying that low for very long, you should be OK - root temps are best a bit higher than that though - optimum is around 22c.

Water to run off every time and dry up the run off after 10 - 20mins - that will give the pots time to take up any run off they need.

EC1.5 - 1.7 is a wee bit on the high side... I have only had one plant that wanted more than 1.5 and it was very greedy!

Good luck! :v:

That’s great advice thank you! They seem a huge amount better tonight, I’m not sure what it was but I’ve certainly leaned a lot from it haha! I’m not sure how to upload pictures and not entirely sure it’s safe to do so? Where’s most people from on here? Places it’s legal and illegal? 

UK. Apparently the admin/site take care of deleting so called ‘meta data’ so absolutely  no need to worry. Glad they’ve perked up and they’re on their way again

When you said rust spots - first thing that came to mind was root rot..

then you mentioned leaving run off in the trays and i’m now pretty certain that’s your issue..

we used three long trays that went from the front of the tent to the back and put two lengths of 2x2 in each one to stand the pots on.. thus creating an air space under the pots. We also tilted the trays ever so slightly to make the run off flow to the front where it was easier to suck up. still had the ballache of removing the run off of course, but it really helped with any “sitting in a puddle” issues..

you can get little clay feet for your pots from most garden centres if thats easier.. depends on your space/trays etc :) 

or go lazy and get an IWS run off thing.. you stand your pots on it and the run off is drawn away into a bucket that you can empty at your convenience.. i’ll try and find a link if you think that may be up your street.

Mate that’s some great advice! That is definitely my next step, I’ve sorted my issue now and watering to run over like every third feed and checking/disposing of it, my next step after harvest is to build a little drain system! Thank you for your reply 

1 person likes this

IWS AutoDrain is the system i was referring  to.. i can only find shop links, so i don’t think i can post those as it may upset site sponsors.. easy enough to google though :yep: