Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bustin Jieber

making ethanol oil

102 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, flash_cannon said:

Hey guys, great thread! 

I'm going to try an ethanol extraction of a high CBD strain (Dinafem CBD Plus... 15-20% CBD / >1% THC). I will use the Jeff Ditchfield method of washing the (frozen?) buds with ethanol from the freezer, filtering through a coffee filter, then a home water distiller, then finally using a magnetic plate and stirrer to decarb and evaporate the remaining ethanol. Seems like a good method?

Has anyone tried this? What percentage of CBD can I expect from the finished oil? Does CBD have a higher temp at which it decarbs than THC (110 degrees)? 

yes mate as stated in PM

just the decarbolization needs to be tweeked in a bit -takes longer than THC and its harder to know when those CO2 bubbles are all gone, that's why I had such high CBDA levels (39%)

Edited by joba
2 people like this

3 hours ago, joba said:

that's why I had such high CBDA levels (39%)

thanks Joba... would you say you under cooked it to get CBDA? I guess thats the natural form i.e. THCA decarbs to THC.

please could you tell me more about your methods so I can modify mine before my first ethanol run?

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, flash_cannon said:

thanks Joba... would you say you under cooked it to get CBDA? I guess thats the natural form i.e. THCA decarbs to THC.

please could you tell me more about your methods so I can modify mine before my first ethanol run?

when I will be doing CBD oil again once I am finished I will decarbolize probably under magnifing glass to see if all the small co2 bubbles are gone

also will do extraction from bigger badge maybe 4oz not like last time only from 1 oz- this will allow extra time to decarbolize (while still evaporating in slow cooker)

2 people like this

Thanks Joba 

do you find a slow cooker adequate to decarb and reduce to oil as a final step? I’m looking at buying a magnetic hot plate stirrer 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, flash_cannon said:

Thanks Joba 

do you find a slow cooker adequate to decarb and reduce to oil as a final step? I’m looking at buying a magnetic hot plate stirrer 

i am decarbing while the slow cooker is evaporating ethanol but the final stage I do over a bowl with hot water -boiling water at 100C and watching the CO2 'bubles':yinyang:

once they stop forming I am done,put my oil in silicon container and make tincture or sweets

Edited by joba
2 people like this

Some good info here @flash_cannon @joba cheer’s guy’s as I need this info for my sister, an have a dinamed cbd+ just finishing seedling stage...:smokin:

9 minutes ago, Amo said:

Some good info here @flash_cannon @joba cheer’s guy’s as I need this info for my sister, an have a dinamed cbd+ just finishing seedling stage...:smokin:

take it easy on feed as even when cuttings they well fragile,last night i took 2 perfectly rooted clones from a sandwich bag and within 1hour at room temperature all leafs schriveled.

1 person likes this

On 08/07/2019 at 5:17 PM, joba said:

i am decarbing while the slow cooker is evaporating ethanol but the final stage I do over a bowl with hot water -boiling water at 100C and watching the CO2 'bubles':yinyang:

once they stop forming I am done,put my oil in silicon container and make tincture or sweets

Just a thought - if you are burning off ethanol at 80 but THC De-carbs at 110, then you can’t do both at once?

Just done my first ethanol extraction. Went well. I did a frozen quick wash of three minutes and a second wash of 11 minutes (room temp). What I found was that the quick wash didn’t produce enough oil from my half ounce so I had to combine it with the second wash to get it into a 2gram syringe. 

It was very strong. Licked the bowl as I cleaned up and I’ve only just woken up, the extraction was Sunday night!

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, flash_cannon said:

Just a thought - if you are burning off ethanol at 80 but THC De-carbs at 110, then you can’t do both at once?

I think you can do both at once,even drying bud is form of decarbolization/oxydation just at much lower temperatures and longer time

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, flash_cannon said:

Time and temperature.  Cannabis decarboxylates at room temperature, it just takes longer.  The same heat that decarboxylates, also converts THC to CBD, so the speed that you do it at, determines how much THCA is both converted and how much THC is left.

You will have more THC left, if you decarboxylate faster at 122C/250F to 144C/292F.

Edited by Graywolf
2 people like this

21 hours ago, Graywolf said:

Time and temperature.  Cannabis decarboxylates at room temperature, it just takes longer.  The same heat that decarboxylates, also converts THC to CBD, so the speed that you do it at, determines how much THCA is both converted and how much THC is left.

You will have more THC left, if you decarboxylate faster at 122C/250F to 144C/292F.

Thanks Greywolf. This makes sense as I turned up the hot plate way too high because the liquid wouldn’t get above 70c. I now realise that this was because of the ethanol still being present. As soon as the last of the ethanol evaporated the remaining liquid got very hot very quickly. I took it off the heat and although it bubbled up, I don’t that it spoiled. It was a very thick liquid that  had stuck to the beaker sides where I had tried to increase the surface area, in order to not overheat it. I added a little more ethanol to help scrape it off the sides and started to cook it down again, this temp at a more stable temperature. Patience is key! CBD wash is next up. I’ll keep the temps at 110c but I’ll cook it for longer and wash for longer as it’s for ingestion. 

2 people like this

@Graywolf

A quick question if I may good sir?

If I'm planning to make e-juice using bho as my starting material which of the VG/PG mixes work best?

60/40,80/20,50/50??

Or does all VG/all PG work better??

I know your not an advocate of using them yourself but your answer will nonetheless be appreciated.

Many thanks

:yinyang:

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Dodgee said:

@Graywolf

A quick question if I may good sir?

If I'm planning to make e-juice using bho as my starting material which of the VG/PG mixes work best?

60/40,80/20,50/50??

Or does all VG/all PG work better??

I know your not an advocate of using them yourself but your answer will nonetheless be appreciated.

Many thanks

:yinyang:

Can I piggy back on this question and ask if it’s possible (or advisable) to make vape juice from ethanol extracted oil?

2 people like this

21 hours ago, flash_cannon said:

Can I piggy back on this question and ask if it’s possible (or advisable) to make vape juice from ethanol extracted oil?

Solly, because I don't support using a diluent for e-pens, I haven't personally experimented  beyond our initial trials, so I will plead ignorance on your first question.

As to your second question, yes you can use ethanol extracted concentrate in an e-pen, and it works well.  QWET or subzero extraction works best, to avoid the chlorophyll, et al. 

Some cart manufacturers use ethanol, and loosen the concentrate up by adding back monoterpenes, which also act as a diluent.

You can even leave a minute amount of ethanol in the concentrate, to add a slightly sweet background flavor and loosen the concentrate up enough to flow, without using VG/PG/PEG/triethyl citrate, or long chain alkanes to dilute it.

3 people like this