Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kush123

Ec in res jumped to 4

19 posts in this topic

Hello guys I set up a dripper system to feed my plants which are in coco. Left for the weekend on Friday with the ec set to 1.4 and ph 6.2 got back tonight Sunday and the ec is at 4 :( and ph at 6. I’m using a 250l flexi tank which was filled up to 100l and canna a+b nutes. I’ve got a maxi jet 1000 at the bottom mixing the nutes and a Hailea hx4500 feeding the drippers.  Any ideas what’s gone on there? 

I am no expert on automated systems but ill try to help.... seems they must have drunk quite a lot of that 100l to bump you upto 4ec ? ph has not changed a great deal... how long did you wait after the mix was made ?  e.g talk us through your whole process

1 person likes this

A jump like that can only be one of a few things.

Either as already said your plants absorbed a lot of water and somehow the nutrients in water have been left over, although that is quite a bloody jump. It could be that you took a measurement too early before the the nutrients had mixed properly, even with a mixing pump it does take a min or two. Another possibility is that your using the wrong nutrients, soil and a fair amount of coco nutrients can cause imbalance like this if you start using them in a res instead of hand watering, but I doubt this is the case and again I doubt it would jump so high. 

Only other thing I can think of is that your EC meter needs a clean etc.

3 people like this

Sounds like a faulty meter, first thing I would check...

2 people like this

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

Sounds like a faulty meter, first thing I would check...

:yes:

Giving a reading of 4, I would say it was a cheaper one as well. Truncheon maxes out at 3.0, only meters going that high are the expensive ones which need calibrating or the cheaper ones that are known to wander quite a bit once they give up on you.

Get some EC buffer 2.76 and see what reading it gives. It's about a fiver for a small bottle and at least you can check for peace of mind.

1.4 to 4.0 is quite some jump from that size res if the meter is not screwed, how many plants are in the system?

1 person likes this

Thanks for all the replies I’ll try and answer you all in one go. It’s a 5 pot dripper system and they get just under 2litres a day given in one feed. I set it up on Wednesday to 1.4 ec and 6ph and by Friday morning it had drifted to 1.5 ec and 5.8 so I topped it up with 25l of fresh water. I then had to adjust the ec and ph back to 1.4 and 6.2. First thing I did was check my meter which is a cheap one but it’s always been accurate, I checked my tap water and it read 0.3 which is correct. I’m using canna coco nutes. What nutes would you recommend for a coco grow using a res?

47 minutes ago, Kush123 said:

Thanks for all the replies I’ll try and answer you all in one go. It’s a 5 pot dripper system and they get just under 2litres a day given in one feed. I set it up on Wednesday to 1.4 ec and 6ph and by Friday morning it had drifted to 1.5 ec and 5.8 so I topped it up with 25l of fresh water. I then had to adjust the ec and ph back to 1.4 and 6.2. First thing I did was check my meter which is a cheap one but it’s always been accurate, I checked my tap water and it read 0.3 which is correct. I’m using canna coco nutes. What nutes would you recommend for a coco grow using a res?

2l x 5 x 3 = 30l from 100l would likely cause a rise if they weren't eating much just drinking the water(leaving a higher concentration of salts etc), did you happen to mix ph up and down together to adjust the res ? heard this can cause big swings and makes the res unstable.  I see that the ph did not drop much during that 30l of consumption, that tells me that the feed was being drunk equally because surely the ec would change ph quite alot if e.c climbs 2.8 ?

I  use canna nutes in coco, the results speak for them i think, i used the full range.

1 person likes this

@CuriousGreenHand Sorry for the late reply I’ve been out all day. I should of made it clearer in my original post it’s a dripper system feeding coco pots set up to a flexi tank res so it’s not a like a dwc we’re the plants could be taking water and leaving the nutes. I’ve only used ph up as it only drifts down. one thing I probably should have mentioned when I add ph up to my nutrient solution it goes cloudy, this has always happened on every grow when I’ve mixed my nutes in a bucket and has now happened in the res. I’ve tried mixing them every different way possible but it always happens and because it doesn’t seem to affect the plants I’ve just accepted it but in the buckets the ec has never raised like it is now. I got back before and topped the res up with 80 litres off fresh water and it’s brought the ec down to 2 but something is definitely going wrong. Has anyone ever had there nutes go cloudy I’m thinking of ditching the canna and trying ionic.

Maybe your water supply had a pipe change ? Sometimes for a day or two there's a change, can't really check that now mind, how far along are you? Flowering ? How old are your current batch of nutes/ph up/down ? I want to figure it out now haha, did you have a temp change or humidity? Possibly salts built up in res at the bottom and that's why ? Disturbed the res more than usual, if the plants are looking fine over the next couple of days I would put it down to one of them odd things lol I would probably clean out all what I can and start a fresh feed, just to be safe ;)

Ec pens can be accurate at low levels and go way out at higher levels is one possible cause.. have read that you should never add up after adding nutes but don’t know why.. it going cloudy isn’t great.. nutes mix best at 6.9ph to avoid this happening.. then lower to desired levels.. but this is not going to be possible for you without adding up and then down which is not a good idea.. seems odd to me that your starting ph is so acidic, I’ve only ever had to add down.. might be for this reason that salts are splitting out of the mix.. I’d work out how much up is needed and add before the nutes as it’s possible that your tap water is too acidic for nutes to mix? Are you using silicon? :smokin:

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies. I’m going into week 9 tomorrow but I they look like they need at least another 10 days so I'm going to be dropping the ec right down over the next few days. I’ve had the nutes for about 6 months they are 5 litre cans but the ph up is only about a month old and it’s canna ph up which I bought hoping it wouldn't go cloudy but it still does. Even though the nutes are old I’ve had the issue with the cloudiness since they were brand new. I’ve tried every different way of mixing the nutes including adding the up first and even letting it sit in the water overnight before adding the nutes. I use silicon in my veg tent and this also makes the mutes cloudy. It makes sense what you’re saying about the acidity in the water causing it to split but it only splits when the ph hits the nutes. So nutes into water is fine, ph into water is fine but when nutes goes in to water with ph in it it goes cloudy and when ph goes into water with nutes in it goes cloudy. Which is why I’m thinking about changing to a different nute to see if it stops I like the sound of the one part ionic. I’ve drained half the tank out today and it’s reading 1.8 so I’m going to leave it a couple of days and hopefully it will stay the same. I’m wondering whether it’s because the tank was brand new and maybe I should of cleaned it first? I’ve noticed the tubing has built up salts on it which I’m blaming on the cloudiness. :wallbash:

Edited by Kush123

If they only need another 10 days then just feed plain water until the end

Owd

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Owderb said:

If they only need another 10 days then just feed plain water until the end

Owd

I’m just going to give them one more feed out the tank tonight so I can monitor whether the ec rises over tonight and tomorrow. I’ve read a lot of your comments mate and I thought your advice was to drop the ec right down rather than just planin water?

It is but if you've had high ec's then I would think a good flush is required. At nine weeks your plants will be taking little feed in now anyway

Owd

2 people like this

On 26/05/2019 at 11:07 PM, Kush123 said:

Hello guys I set up a dripper system to feed my plants which are in coco. Left for the weekend on Friday with the ec set to 1.4 and ph 6.2 got back tonight Sunday and the ec is at 4 :( and ph at 6. I’m using a 250l flexi tank which was filled up to 100l and canna a+b nutes. I’ve got a maxi jet 1000 at the bottom mixing the nutes and a Hailea hx4500 feeding the drippers.  Any ideas what’s gone on there? 

Are you recirculating? Or run to waste?