Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JJJ

Slow to germinate - Slow growing

Hi Folks,

I'm having some issues with slow growth.  And I'm noticing a pattern.

I find that generally that seeds that sprout within 3-4 days seem to continue growing quickly, usually pushing out their 3rd set of leaves some time around the 8-10 day mark, whereas seeds that take 5,6 or 7 days to sprout seem to take forever to get to the same stage.

My seeds can't be old as the strain has just been released this year, temps are fine, seeds weren't over watered and the soil mix was very light.  Humidity may have been a little low but this has never really affected things too much in the past.

Banging my head against a wall here trying to figure this one out and no longer have the time to restart the grow.

Seeds are Sweet Gelato Auto - just over a week from sprouting and seemed to have almost completely stalled - although seem healthy enough.

Any thoughts?

Not all seeds are created equal autos seed's even less IME , I've learnt to start more then i need specially with autos to offset any runts/cabbages and autos IMO are all about speed , dont want to be waiting around. i just bin them if they have any issues at all pretty much  in the 1st 3 weeks.

Are you sure they aren't just focusing on root development ?

Obviously be easier to comment on specifics with a pic.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

Not all seeds are created equal autos seed's even less IME , I've learnt to start more then i need specially with autos to offset any runts/cabbages and autos IMO are all about speed , dont want to be waiting around. i just bin them if they have any issues at all pretty much  in the 1st 3 weeks.

Are you sure they aren't just focusing on root development ?

Obviously be easier to comment on specifics with a pic.

Thanks for replying mate.  Not much point in adding a pic really - they just look like healthy seedlings but they're just incredibly slow.  If it had been one or two of the pack I'd have understood.  That's why I started 4 with the aim of keeping the best two. However, it's all 4 so I've decided to grow them all so I can at least fill up my little tent.

You could be right about them simply working on root development.

Ideally, I'd bin them and start again but I have a very narrow window in which I can grow due to inspections so it's not really an option.

Oh well, I'll do the best I can for them and hope things improve.

The seeds came from a seed bank called PEV Grow in Spain so I wonder if they haven't been stored properly.

1 person likes this

Have you changed anything in your germ/prop area?.

I only figured out that the bulb I was using was insufficient (a 15w 5k led) when I pulled my "stalled" seedling out the cabinet and popped it on the windowsill, it put on more growth in 2 days than it had in the previous 2 weeks.!.

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, Ranec said:

Have you changed anything in your germ/prop area?.

I only figured out that the bulb I was using was insufficient (a 15w 5k led) when I pulled my "stalled" seedling out the cabinet and popped it on the windowsill, it put on more growth in 2 days than it had in the previous 2 weeks.!.

Hi mate.  I have considered that it could be down to the lighting but I'm using a Scope 220 fro DIYLEDUK which is an amazing light.  It's minimum setting is 90W so more than enough for seedlings.  It could be the case that it's too much.  Not sure really.

@JJJ

Ive got the same light and it's blinding at full whack!. :george:

Personally I decided to build a dedicated germ/prop cab (as my flower tents in the loft) so got a 65w hlg veg board from diyleduk too, fingers crossed my lady's will love it...

Best of luck with your sweet gelato grow, let us know if and how you get it sorted bud :yep:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Ranec said:

Hmmmm... The wrong sort of growth at the stage IMO , stretching isn't the growth that you want at first. 

To state the obvious plants will stretch towards the light , to much light doesn't need to stretch, that energy is put into rooting which will increase general  plant mass as a whole and not just add height. Which in turn also makes it easier getting out the starter pot and is the faster way round Ime.

@JJJhopefully  that's the case wth yours, more light , less stretching , more roots or they are just genetically slow starters.

if your impatient and green figured enough pop out your pots and have a lookup see how the roots are getting on.

I pre cut my starter pots and tape them back up , so it's really easy to  get them out of the pot.

about to start some myself over the next few days , had to ditch my last grow to a suspected micro mite attack 

been cleaning everything grow related over the last coule weeks, predator mites just arrived ,having a try at coco so off to learn it all again myself.

Goodluck 

1 person likes this

Just now, BarrySHitPeas said:

Hmmmm... The wrong sort of growth at the stage IMO , stretching isn't the growth that you want at first. 

To state the obvious plants will stretch towards the light , to much light doesn't need to stretch, that energy is put into rooting which will increase general  plant mass as a whole and not just add height. Which in turn also makes it easier getting out the starter pot and is the faster way round Ime.

@JJJhopefully  that's the case wth yours, more light , less stretching , more roots or they are just genetically slow starters.

if your impatient and green figured enough pop out your pots and have a lookup see how the roots are getting on.

I pre cut my starter pots and tape them back up , so it's really easy to  get them out of the pot.

about to start some myself over the next few days , had to ditch my last grow to a suspected micro mite attack 

been cleaning everything grow related over the last coule weeks, predator mites just arrived ,having a try at coco so off to learn it all again myself.

Goodluck 

Thanks mate.  I've just been advised that it's probably all down to root temps so hopefully it's as simple as that.  Hopefully you're right about the rooting.  More roots means more fruits, right! :yep:

1 person likes this