Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

InTheSystem

LED - Is it really worth it??

72 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What are peoples real opinions on LED lighting? I have been pulling my hair out the last few weeks trying to get a light before summer season kicks in and starting to give up now unfortunately, for now haha. I have run HPS for years averaging 1 gram per watt on solid genetics. I switched to CMH a couple of years back and now average more than that.. Now, in a world where electricity costs an arm and leg (particularly where I live - efficiency is the biggest appeal more than anything). My electric bill literally changed massively going from 3 x 400hps to 3 x 315cmh and my yields went up and quality of buds went up. Now, having seen some growers on various forums pull serious yield numbers on low watt LEDS, it has really got my attention to the point I have been actively trying to buy a light.

I will say though, nearly every LED grow I saw prior to seeing some Samsung strips was completely fried (burnt tops) - is this growers not having enough height or knowledge of led growing? I see mixed opinions on light distances, but that is one for another talk... So yes I guess the question I am asking, is LED really worth it or not considering the size of investment and struggle to get them? :)

Edited by InTheSystem
4 people like this

i also switched to cdm a few years ago and am now switching from them to leds more specifically @diyleduk quantum boards

i hit the 1 gpw with hps and slightly over it with cdms

8 x 315w cdms aare now each being replaced with 280w of quantum board 1 at a time and each grow yield is going up with quality the same

4 people like this

Just now, greenvigilante said:

i also switched to cdm a few years ago and am now switching from them to leds more specifically @diyleduk quantum boards

i hit the 1 gpw with hps and slightly over it with cdms

8 x 315w cdms aare now each being replaced with 280w of quantum board 1 at a time and each grow yield is going up with quality the same

Thanks for posting mate, appreciate it - so your dropping around 280w in total (Nearly 1 CMH light) across 8 lights with increased yields? What sort of increased yields mate? I got nearly 1.4 gpw on Barneys Farm LSD on CMH.. I know CMH are beasts if you do everything right and have the genetics... Hmmm I wonder really changing out 3 CMH would be much gain considering its dropping a grand on lights and having to enquire weekly for them.

1 person likes this

Just now, InTheSystem said:

Thanks for posting mate, appreciate it - so your dropping around 280w in total (Nearly 1 CMH light) across 8 lights with increased yields? What sort of increased yields mate? I got nearly 1.4 gpw on Barneys Farm LSD on CMH.. I know CMH are beasts if you do everything right and have the genetics... Hmmm I wonder really changing out 3 CMH would be much gain considering its dropping a grand on lights and having to enquire weekly for them.

The 315’s draw about 350w from the wall the 280watt ldraw led  will yield similar and save 20% on leccy, what’s not to like?

3 people like this

3 minutes ago, InTheSystem said:

If I was hitting 1.4gpw id be changing fuck all.

12 people like this

Just now, Madmungo said:

The 315’s draw about 350w from the wall the 280watt ldraw led  will yield similar and save 20% on leccy, what’s not to like?

Sure - but will cost over 1000 pounds to fill my tent with them.. 20% cheaper electric would be around 20-30 euro a month saving for me. So we are talking nearly 1.5 years to see a gain, if they yield the same and produce the same quality? CMH bulbs last what 20,000 hours? Led around 50k? (not sure so please correct if I am wrong :) )

I am all for LEDs btw mate, I know of people pulling unheard of weights on them (using correct blue, white and mostly red light ratios) - just they are expensive and hard to get hold of, so thought I would get peoples thoughts :) 

2 people like this

Just now, icki said:

If I was hitting 1.4gpw id be changing fuck all.

Point made bro lol Btw that was the best I have ever got not an average, let that be clear... 

As I say, I am all for LED and smashing my electric bill down and heat via less watts (I live in +30c temps so all these little contributions to battle it do really add up).. Its very debatable hense this thread.

3 people like this

Sure - but will cost over 1000 pounds to fill my tent with them.. 20% cheaper electric would be around 20-30 euro a month saving for me. So we are talking nearly 1.5 years to see a gain, if they yield the same and produce the same quality? CMH bulbs last what 20,000 hours? Led around 50k? (not sure so please correct if I am wrong :) )

I am all for LEDs btw mate, I know of people pulling unheard of weights on them (using correct blue, white and mostly red light ratios) - just they are expensive and hard to get hold of, so thought I would get peoples thoughts :) 

One of my agro 315 w maxi bright new lamps has gone black after one run.Not impressed I can look at the lamp.Im on the verge of switching.

Ive binned the hydro nutes(gone no till) now its time to bin wanky lamps.

4 people like this

If it’s only electric cost as your reason then it doesn’t make financial sense but, the other benefits including heat and safety are worth considering.

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, InTheSystem said:

So yes I guess the question I am asking, is LED really worth it

Yes.

3 people like this

Point made bro lol Btw that was the best I have ever got not an average, let that be clear... 

As I say, I am all for LED and smashing my electric bill down and heat via less watts (I live in +30c temps so all these little contributions to battle it do really add up).. Its very debatable hense this thread.

Ive hit just below that last few runs(before going into a new regime) after 10 years trying mate.I know where your coming from.Not a dig by any means.:yinyang:

I think my text doesn't portray what I mean sometimes.

2 people like this

Just now, icki said:

One of my agro 315 w maxi bright new lamps has gone black after one run.Not impressed I can look at the lamp.Im on the verge of switching.

Ive binned the hydro nutes(gone no till) now its time to bin wanky lamps.

Was it solidly in the lamp holder? Do you have the adaptor or the bespoke shade? Sounds like it’s shorting.

Just now, GreenVision said:

Yes.

lol joker... Would you care to explain why bud given the info in this thread? :)

Just now, Madmungo said:

Was it solidly in the lamp holder? Do you have the adaptor or the bespoke shade? Sounds like it’s shorting.

Mate im a sparks ive been putting lamps in lights for over 30 years.

The lamps was warm when I changed it over to the 942.Need to use the new 930 again and its black around the rim.The fittings are correct for the lamp not dodgy intermediate adaptor.

2 people like this

Just now, icki said:

Mate im a sparks ive been putting lamps in lights for over 30 years.

The lamps was warm when I changed it over to the 942.Need to use the new 930 again and its black around the rim.The fittings are correct for the lamp not dodgy intermediate adaptor.

What ballast mate? I had all sorts of troubles running knock off magnetic ballasts... official Primavision Phillips 315 cmh ballast, all went away.