Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

WeedSurfer

Which 10" filter is quietest - MountainAir or CarboAir?

26 posts in this topic

Like the title says, which is quietest. My current setup is 2 600w HPS in 2.4*1.2*2.2 high tent in the bedroom. I've got a Rhino Pro 6"*600mm filter in the tent, connected to 1m straight 6" solid plastic ducting inside acoustic ducting which goes up through the ceiling into the loft and is connected to a 6" RVK L1 on a variac controlled by an arduino/servo combo which keeps the temps where I want them. Now that the weathers getting warm the fan is running up to 70% sometimes so the filter is starting to get noisy, I'm getting quite a whooshing sound which is defo coming from the filter as the fan's in the loft and I can't really hear it. I'm only worried about when I have visitors, as if you stand outside the bedroom door you can hear the whooshing. Smells aren't an issue cos I've never had any problems.

I've had a look through plenty of the forums on here and have decided to get a bigger filter which hopefully should solve the problem. I'm planning on going for a 10"*1000mm MountainAir or possibly a similar CarboAir as lots of people seem to be raving about them apart from one bloke who said the CarboAir he got was louder than his previous Rhino filter which put me off a bit.

Does anyone have any idea which would be the quietest or are they going to be pretty damn similar?

Posted (edited)

I think the length isn't the measurement you want to be looking at, its the fact the newer Carbo Air 100 has a 100mm Carbon bed instead of the 50mm, and basic physics will tell you that will dampen sound better even if just a little.

I have one, and I replaced a Mountain Air with it. And I am here to tell you they're a VERY nice filter. 

However your not going to dampen the air rush noise with any particular type of filter, if its really an issue for you then you will need a silencer on the filter side of the fan, and even then you may still hear it.

But as far as filters are concerned if money isn't a question get the Carbo 100. They the nuts.

Edited by GreenVision
1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

I replaced a Mountain Air with it.

Hey mate, I'm running a mountain air, is there that much difference? :yinyang: 

1 person likes this

Just now, Breezus said:

Hey mate, I'm running a mountain air, is there that much difference? :yinyang: 

To be honest bud, yes and no. Would I say out your Mountain Air and pay that extra cash just to have a Carbo no I wouldn't. Once they in and running it filters air at the end of the day. 

But when its time to upgrade I will say there is no comparison now IMO, they are quality. 

The main thing I like about my Carbo is its length. My old Mountain air was in total about 1100mm long and took just under 1800 m3/h where the new Carbo is 660mm and takes 2500m3/h. So I can have it hanging across the middle of the 1.5m wide tent without any issues and have an upgraded fan, eventually.

And I can defo' notice a small reduction in fan noise, again not enough to tell anyone to out they're mountain air over but it is a difference.

3 people like this

14 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

I think the length isn't the measurement you want to be looking at, its the fact the newer Carbo Air 100 has a 100mm Carbon bed instead of the 50mm, and basic physics will tell you that will dampen sound better even if just a little.

I have one, and I replaced a Mountain Air with it. And I am here to tell you they're a VERY nice filter. 

However your not going to dampen the air rush noise with any particular type of filter, if its really an issue for you then you will need a silencer on the filter side of the fan, and even then you may still hear it.

But as far as filters are concerned if money isn't a question get the Carbo 100. They the nuts.

Oh well that shows just how much I know about filters as that's the opposite of what I was thinking! I thought the extra length would give me more surface area so the air would go through the filter wall slower, giving less whooshing sound. And that the thicker carbon bed would create more noise as there's more carbon for the air to get through. I thought the thicker carbon was just for getting rid of the smells better.

If I stuck a silencer on the filter side of the fan would that really make it quieter in the tent even though the fan is in the loft and I can't hear it?

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, WeedSurfer said:

Oh well that shows just how much I know about filters as that's the opposite of what I was thinking! I thought the extra length would give me more surface area so the air would go through the filter wall slower, giving less whooshing sound. And that the thicker carbon bed would create more noise as there's more carbon for the air to get through. I thought the thicker carbon was just for getting rid of the smells better.

If I stuck a silencer on the filter side of the fan would that really make it quieter in the tent even though the fan is in the loft and I can't hear it?

If your looking this far into the technical factors we will need to know how far your fan is from your filter and the diameter of your ducting and if it is acoustic or not. How many meters of ducting are there between your fan and your filter?

1 person likes this

@WeedSurfer Unless your fan is pulling air though at least 10m of acoustic ducting what your likely hearing isn't the air moving, its the fan hum travelling down the ducting. 

On-site a fan will blow air into a building through 100's of meters of ducting, but it will still be coming out of the diffuser at a rate you can feel it, but you cant hear it. 

I would wager what you are hearing is the fan motor itself not air flow. I cant be sure as this is my first Carbo100, but I feel there is a slight improvement on fan noise. But its worth noting my fan is the tent with my filter so the noise reduction for you could be less or not at all, on the other hand it could be a huge improvement.

I'm just saying for me it was better all round and I believe that was due to there being twice the carbon. 

Again I would check what you are hearing isn't the fan itself.

But if you feel its air "Whoosh" and the Mountain would be better then 100% give that a try and save yourself a few bob.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, GreenVision said:

@WeedSurfer Unless your fan is pulling air though at least 10m of acoustic ducting what your likely hearing isn't the air moving, its the fan hum travelling down the ducting. 

On-site a fan will blow air into a building through 100's of meters of ducting, but it will still be coming out of the diffuser at a rate you can feel it, but you cant hear it. 

I would wager what you are hearing is the fan motor itself not air flow. I cant be sure as this is my first Carbo100, but I feel there is a slight improvement on fan noise. But its worth noting my fan is the tent with my filter so the noise reduction for you could be less or not at all, on the other hand it could be a huge improvement.

I'm just saying for me it was better all round and I believe that was due to there being twice the carbon. 

Again I would check what you are hearing isn't the fan itself.

But if you feel its air "Whoosh" and the Mountain would be better then 100% give that a try and save yourself a few bob.

Ah right, that makes sense to me now. So rather than getting a bigger filter it's a silencer connected to the filter side of the fan I should try first. Brilliant, I'll check them out now. And the bonus is I could connect the silencer to the fan right now as it's in the loft rather than having to wait for my current grow to finish so I can mess around inside the tent. Cheers for the advice, much appreciated.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, WeedSurfer said:

I've had a look through plenty of the forums on here and have decided to get a bigger filter which hopefully should solve the problem. I'm planning on going for a 10"*1000mm MountainAir or possibly a similar CarboAir as lots of people seem to be raving about them apart from one bloke who said the CarboAir he got was louder than his previous Rhino filter which put me off a bit.

Does anyone have any idea which would be the quietest or are they going to be pretty damn similar?

I'm not using anywhere near the size of filter that you are, but recently swapped to a carbo air from mountain air filter. I'm really happy with the carbo filter, but it was a bit noiser when connected up. And this was coming from the filter. I spoke with Carboair, and the guy there was really helpful. The way he explained it was that the carbos have better draw through ability, so the extra noise was likely to be because it was more efficient drawing through. I did a not particular scientific test of running both filters and found i maintained the same temps around 60-70% of fan speed with the Carbo. Hence any extra noise in the filter was countered by lower fan noise. So, now after a few months i've never been more than 60% of fan speed and noise at the level is no different. On full pelt yes a little bit more of a whoosh, but then again, I'm drawing more air at those crunch times so seems to me its a win win. If you oversize things like it sounds you are I think you'll be happy with the Carbo. Odour control is just as good as the Mountain air...perfect.

Edited by Lean Bear
cant spell or string coherent sentances together..
1 person likes this

oversizing your ducting between the filter and fan will have more effect than a silencer.

ive used silencers before- they don't do much to be honest

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

and a longer filter will also help reduce noise, due to larger surface area. 

IF the noise is coming from your filter, but its more likely to be the fan , get some oversized acoustic duct would be my advice

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

Just now, badbillybob said:

ive used silencers before- they don't do much to be honest

inside or outside? when i chucked a silencer on my out pipe it took 90% of the noise away!

Posted (edited)

outside my groom, ive got one running just now, and it didn't make much difference in sound. 

its one with the foam pyramids inside it, all joints taped etc. 

its slightly quieter but not much and deffo not 90 %

90% ?  really

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

@WeedSurfer Could I suggest trying a longer piece of ducting? Maybe some purpose made Acoustic ducting and up the size of it as @badbillybob has said.

Silencers work, but to be honest they are a last resort as u can usually clean up some noise with extra oversized ducting.

2 people like this

@Lean Bear Hi mate, do you mind if I ask where your fan is?

My Carbo made my noise less intense, but I mount my fan in the tent nowadays, was wondering if there is a pattern emerging here.