Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mickyc

Excessive condensation.

Hi Peep's

Ive got 4 girls growing in RDWC  with Led +water cooler.I am getting lots of condensation running down the sides of buckets. 2 fans going humidifier and air extraction on full.

Is there any material i can use to try and cover buckets to stop the build up of condensation. Thanks

Sounds like your water is too cold or your room is really hot. 

Owd

1 person likes this

@Owderb

I was just typing something similar about variations in temps, like a glass of cold water on a hot day.

Room too warm for the water, I`m guessing the more experienced peeps will tell you get a better extractor.

Aidwej

1 person likes this

Hi thanks for your replys.

Room temp 24 to 26. Water temp 18 to 19. Dont want to raise water temp any higher as may cause root rot. Will try bigger exhaust fan. Had anybody tried making some sort of insulation cover to cover buckets ? and would it help ?

Posted (edited)

yes insulation might help. the silver bubble wrap type stuff. 

ive got similar temps but my buckets don't drip condensation (mine aren't insulated, but I have insulated buckets in the past)

Kingspan round them all is another option - might also help.

Edited by badbillybob

Thanks Badbillybob. I have a grow tent i dont use any more, Do you think that material would be ok to use it i cut it up and make covers to go around the outside.

Foil insulation wont be as effective as standard foam or blanket type insulation, the aim is to make the surface of the bucket warmer so the moist air cant drop to dewpoint. Foil is good for blocking radiant heat transfer but its not great for conductiive transfer. Think of it like a freezer with the foam insulation on the outside of the refrigeration lines and aluminium sheet on the inside  ;) 

On 15/05/2019 at 2:07 PM, Mickyc said:

Hi thanks for your replys.

Room temp 24 to 26. Water temp 18 to 19. Dont want to raise water temp any higher as may cause root rot. Will try bigger exhaust fan. Had anybody tried making some sort of insulation cover to cover buckets ? and would it help ?

hey bud, im just doing a setup in a m8s new pad  and i have the same problem, curious thing on my side though is i have never had a problem in any other houses with cold and always fought with heat, anyway im about the same temps etc too, i have a 2000watt cheap fan heater and if i face that into tent and put it on for a few minutes it barely takes the heat to 28 which i think is reasonable even just now and again and brings my humidity right down to under 50 if i want so try that and i gurantee it will help and mayb just try and set fan heater on timer and adjust to suit ur needs m8 to help but keeping heat under 27 and would still get results with lowered humidity that way, my humidity was going past 100% to hi and every tent wall covered in condensation at one point lol but i managed to sort it using that and now it seems to be levelling itself out with the better weather.

Edited by Stevieboy1
corrections

This is interesting, you have a temp difference of 6 to 7c between water and air can you tell us what your relative humidity is.

I've done a bit of research on this and the dew point depends on your humidity, covering your buckets won't do much i think..

I found a calculation that will help with finding the optimum environment to combat the dew point

"Td = T - ((100 - RH)/5.)

where Td is dew point temperature (in degrees Celsius), T is observed temperature (in degrees Celsius), and RH is relative humidity (in percent). Apparently this relationship is fairly accurate for relative humidity values above 50%."

Td gives you your water temp at dew point

T room temp, RH humidity 

On gut instinct i don't think your problem is dew point unless your humidity is close to saturation, are you sure that moisture is not coming from a gap in your bucket lid?