Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Medicated

Chop or Not to Chop - that is the question :P

52 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Era said:

Arrived late to the grow so a bit late to advise.. my only useful input is that with Sativa Dom you can ignore the amber resin.. tends to go amber on sats before it goes cloudy which is when it has peaked and is starting to degrade.. lovely looking plant btw.. check out the hygrometer in a jar curing method if you are new to drying.. can’t really go wrong with it :smokin:

Thanks, that's something I did not know.

Def chopped her at the right time, All wet trimmed and hanging in the tent at 24c atm and humidity is around 40 -  struggling to keep the temp down and humidity up . The hygrometer jar curing sounds good - have ordered some boveda 62's so was just going to drop all in to 18oz jars and burp well once they are out of the tent,  in 3-5 days i guess. 

If that's not the best way to go someone please kick me into touch :) I already smell lawn clippings...

Edited by Medicated
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

18c is best and 40rh is too low for drying so they will need sweating in jars to even out the moisture.. don’t let the buds get crispy or leave until the stems snap as some suggest.. take any buds that look like they are starting to crisp on the outside and put them in a jar with a hygrometer.. after 24 hours the moisture will even out a bit and you will get a good reading of where you are.. if over 70rh then there is high risk of mould so buds should be aired (I use brown paper bags at this point) after a few hours in the bags they can go back in the jars for another reading/sweat.. when stable at 70rh, slowly burp down to 62rh, then leave to cure.. if she goes below 55rh then the cure is permanently dead and cannot be restarted by adding moisture.. it is for this reason that it’s important to keep humidity between 55rh and 60rh when drying so that it dries evenly and the outer parts of the bud and smaller buds don’t go below 55rh.

if you’ve not got a hygrometer that will fit in a jar then best to monitor for crispy buds as they dry and use the bovida 62 in the jars.. even if you get the environment right for an even dry, if you wait until the stems snap then it’s too late.. crispy buds and snapping stems are an indication that you’ve gone too far.. better to get a hygrometer if you can.. perfect results every time then with no risk of mould or hay. :smokin:

Edited by Era
1 person likes this

@Era Are you saying its alright to almost put the buds directly into ta jar or 3 with Boveda packs?

Temps not ideal atm at 24c but RH is now 46 so i think thats doable in my tent, Buds are not to drying too quickly, still fell spongy and not crisping up.

I have about 20 packs of Boveda so could just jar up?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@Medicated Not when the buds are over 70rh or you will get mould.. it’s possible that if you took 1/2g of fresh bud and put it in a 50ltr barrel full of boveda packs that enough moisture could be removed quickly enough with just the boveda to dry to a perfect 62rh whilst avoiding mould. But there is only so much water a boveda pack in a jar of bud can absorb so best to get buds as close to 62rh as possible before using packs.. you can jar overnight to sweat if they are drying unevenly as I suspect that they will in your environment, but really they shouldn’t be jarred until they reach an even 70rh and then jar and burp down to 62rh.. if your humidity in the drying room is low then you could dry in paper bags to slow it down/raise humidity.. put your hygrometer in the bag and maybe leave the bag open at the top a bit depending on the humidity in the bag.. the risks are of mould if jarring when over 70rh, and of hay smell if any of the buds fall below 55rh.. putting a hygrometer in the jar will give you the confidence to keep enough moisture without worry of mould.. you could jar a fresh bud but you would very quickly see the humidity rising over 70rh in the jar so could confidently take it out and dry some more before jarring again.. better do this many times than leave it too late to jar as once it’s below 55rh you’ve missed the boat for a cure. :smokin:

Edited by Era
1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Era said:

@Medicated Not when the buds are over 70rh or you will get mould.. it’s possible that if you took 1/2g of fresh bud and put it in a 50ltr barrel full of boveda packs that enough moisture could be removed quickly enough with just the boveda to dry to a perfect 62rh whilst avoiding mould. But there is only so much water a boveda pack in a jar of bud can absorb so best to get buds as close to 62rh as possible before using packs.. you can jar overnight to sweat if they are drying unevenly as I suspect that they will in your environment, but really they shouldn’t be jarred until they reach an even 70rh and then jar and burp down to 62rh.. if your humidity in the drying room is low then you could dry in paper bags to slow it down/raise humidity.. put your hygrometer in the bag and maybe leave the bag open at the top a bit depending on the humidity in the bag.. the risks are of mould if jarring when over 70rh, and of hay smell if any of the buds fall below 55rh.. putting a hygrometer in the jar will give you the confidence to keep enough moisture without worry of mould.. you could jar a fresh bud but you would very quickly see the humidity rising over 70rh in the jar so could confidently take it out and dry some more before jarring again.. better do this many times than leave it too late to jar as once it’s below 55rh you’ve missed the boat for a cure. :smokin:

Thanks @Era

They were a definitely a lil crispy on the outside this morning which still spongy in the centre so have jarred  them all up. RH in the jar is 80.2 so will let them sweat for a few hours before continuing>  I'll paper bag them there after and continue the drying. 

Looks like rinse and repeat for a few days until they are stable. :cowboy:

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Era said:

Thanks man, I put some buds in a jar last night and the rh is 67.5 this morning so will leave them in there, these were a few smaller buds just to experiment with.

In the tent the rh is 45.8 and isn't moving much - the buds are drying but slowly - no sign of any dryness on the extremities yet so I'm tempted to leave them in there but will keep a close eye on them. will update again in 24 hours.

Thanks for the info above :smokin:

1 person likes this

Just now, Medicated said:

Thanks man, I put some buds in a jar last night and the rh is 67.5 this morning so will leave them in there, these were a few smaller buds just to experiment with.

In the tent the rh is 45.8 and isn't moving much - the buds are drying but slowly - no sign of any dryness on the extremities yet so I'm tempted to leave them in there but will keep a close eye on them. will update again in 24 hours.

Thanks for the info above :smokin:

You’re very welcome :) happy to be of assistance :smokin:

1 person likes this