Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leng

thinking of switching to wilma

53 posts in this topic

hi guys

long time non speak ehh lol  not been on here for a good while as iv been busy with work as other family stuff.

as alot of you may or may not know iv been doing my thing for quite some time now.

im a coco grower but thinking of switching to the dark side to a wilma system.

just wanting to know some more info about these set ups as iv just been hand watering for the past 9 year.

what nutes you guys on medium lights per system etc.

basically im wanting to know as much info as possible about it all as its all abit cloudy for me.

cant be that hard tho can it ??

anything to watch out for etc

big up to the mods on here especially owderb who produced me some og cheesexoldtimes beans which iv still got going. one fucking amazing strain my friend kudos to you

anyways ill be lurking about so ill catch up with you all soon enough

peace

1 person likes this

@leng Hi mate, I'm just back after a 10 month out from the net myself.

Do you have the Wilma yet or you looking into one?

I ran an 8 pot Wilma for a while but I found the pots too close together. I looked at the 4 pot as the tray was bigger but it wouldn't fit thru the loft hatch. If I went for an auto water system again I'd be looking at a system with single pots which water from the bottom through a valve. This way I'd be able to space the plants better. Having said that the Wilma was easy to use  and the plants grew well.

I have two sets of 4 pot WILMA's, retired now but considering going back also.  I bought all the sh*t, that Blue Labs pH Truncheon, EC pen, nutes galore......great fun.

If you have drainage and easy water access then its easy, I did the weekly complete drain and refill, topped up in between, the plants were very resilient to my laziness and yielded well - Was just hard work lugging 10 litre containers of water back n forth ;)

Those water drippers and attached thin rubber pipes would clog up with salts, a bit of a pain when a plant stops getting its food.....

Seriously faster growth for sure but also more cost for items and nutes to make it a success.

Good luck ! :D

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, GreenVision said:

@leng Hi mate, I'm just back after a 10 month out from the net myself.

Do you have the Wilma yet or you looking into one?

@GreenVision

no wilma yet mate just curious and looking into them but its looking the way to go

Have a search for rhizopots growell as an alternative. 

large.5cc047f2935bb_bottomofcab.jpg

5 people like this

i thought the exact same thing but iv seen a set up with the pots seem more spaced out

i used to run a auto pot set up but just couldnt get along with it as they didnt seem to flush proper

iv always grown in coco som with the auto pots and bottom feeding i dont think it was the right way about it

maybe thinking about it it would of been better with perlite or the balls?? cant rember whst there called

@bearukc thanks for the feed back

Just now, leng said:

@GreenVision

no wilma yet mate just curious and looking into them but its looking the way to go

I'd hate to be the stick in the mud but I would go another route personally. 

I had good results, loads of others have had good results, but I think personally there are better hydroponic options over the Wilma.

My issue with Wilmas, and a lot of similar pot on tank methods is the height. My Wilma used to sit close to 50cm of the ground bare with no plants inside. Add 100cm of plant and your sitting at 1.5 meters of the ground. In my tent this would leave me with 50cm of space for lights. So if you were using LED's you could actually be in the danger zone for light bleaching with a plant at 80-90cm tall. 

I made the mistake of trying SSH in my Wilma when I first got it, I had a total nightmare.

In the end I did figure it out, so I am not by any means saying dont get one. I'm just letting you know of an issue I had personally so you can take it into account before spending any money. You have DWC, RDWC, Aeroponic, Flood n Drain, NFT, all systems that will give you another 20-30 cm of head room in a tent over the Wilma. 

Plus in NFT or DWC for example you need either a 3" Rockwool cube or a handful of stones. With a Wilma you need whole pots of medium, unless of course your going coco and to which I personally don't understand what you gain over basic pots.

If you want coco my honest advice would be to stay coco in pots, if you want hydro go for it and get a full on hydroponic system.

2 people like this

36 minutes ago, Inspiration101 said:

I have two sets of 4 pot WILMA's, retired now but considering going back also.  I bought all the sh*t, that Blue Labs pH Truncheon, EC pen, nutes galore......great fun.

If you have drainage and easy water access then its easy, I did the weekly complete drain and refill, topped up in between, the plants were very resilient to my laziness and yielded well - Was just hard work lugging 10 litre containers of water back n forth ;)

Those water drippers and attached thin rubber pipes would clog up with salts, a bit of a pain when a plant stops getting its food.....

Seriously faster growth for sure but also more cost for items and nutes to make it a success.

Good luck ! :D

iv got the blue lab trunchon used to have the ph pen aswell but my ph was always right so never replaced the thing when it bust

iv easy water access thats not a problem and im with you on the clogededge shit but im all good with how to keep itr clean of salts n that

its just because of my current situation i think i need to go to a auto feed system to make life eaiser

13 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

Have a search for rhizopots growell as an alternative. 

large.5cc047f2935bb_bottomofcab.jpg

this looks like some space age shit man 

how does this one work

sorry for sounding dumb but im a little old school lol

6 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

I'd hate to be the stick in the mud but I would go another route personally. 

I had good results, loads of others have had good results, but I think personally there are better hydroponic options over the Wilma.

My issue with Wilmas, and a lot of similar pot on tank methods is the height. My Wilma used to sit close to 50cm of the ground bare with no plants inside. Add 100cm of plant and your sitting at 1.5 meters of the ground. In my tent this would leave me with 50cm of space for lights. So if you were using LED's you could actually be in the danger zone for light bleaching with a plant at 80-90cm tall. 

I made the mistake of trying SSH in my Wilma when I first got it, I had a total nightmare.

In the end I did figure it out, so I am not by any means saying dont get one. I'm just letting you know of an issue I had personally so you can take it into account before spending any money. You have DWC, RDWC, Aeroponic, Flood n Drain, NFT, all systems that will give you another 20-30 cm of head room in a tent over the Wilma. 

Plus in NFT or DWC for example you need either a 3" Rockwool cube or a handful of stones. With a Wilma you need whole pots of medium, unless of course your going coco and to which I personally don't understand what you gain over basic pots.

If you want coco my honest advice would be to stay coco in pots, if you want hydro go for it and get a full on hydroponic system.

whats your sets up dims??

im in a 1.2x2.4x1.2 tent

do you think ill be ok with this ??

its a simple feed from a res full of nutrient and a little pump to pump the nutrients to the plants via the rings, the stands have tubes connected to them that drains all excess nutrients either back to the res or to a waste tank. Works just like the wilmas except you make it to the design you want, really simple to be honest. and having the res outside your grow space helps keep the nutrient cooler. The above took about 15 mins to build from scratch. 

Toke...

1 person likes this

Just now, leng said:

whats your sets up dims??

im in a 1.2x2.4x1.2 tent

do you think ill be ok with this ??

Whats the height of your tent, 1.2m? 

If so then I'd strongly advise against a Wilma lol 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, GreenVision said:

Whats the height of your tent, 1.2m? 

If so then I'd strongly advise against a Wilma lol 

lol

yeh sorry man not sure how high tbh  its about 2m  i think

8 hours ago, tokenroll said:

its a simple feed from a res full of nutrient and a little pump to pump the nutrients to the plants via the rings, the stands have tubes connected to them that drains all excess nutrients either back to the res or to a waste tank. Works just like the wilmas except you make it to the design you want, really simple to be honest. and having the res outside your grow space helps keep the nutrient cooler. The above took about 15 mins to build from scratch. 

Toke...

nice work man

i was gunna do somthing similar with a 50litre bin as my res  a pump from my old autopot set up and some tubing and spikes just never got round to doing it lol

1 person likes this