Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

FatBoy77

A pheno/mother hunt.... how many beans?

28 posts in this topic

As it says really, how many seeds would you guys usually expect to pop of the same strain to find a decent pheno/mother?

From one breeder 1/100

From another of quality, a pack should leave you choosing which to keep

Sadly many breeders are closer to the first 

I've done seed runs where half of the girls are potential keepers and other where you find nothing worth writing home about 

The breeders you choose make a big difference to the likelihood of finding something good

18 people like this

Posted (edited)

Cheers for the reply dude, appreciated.

If I could ask you to recommend a good strain/breeder for a strong indica or indica dominant hybrid?  If that's not your choice of smoke then no worries.

I was hoping to pop ten beans of three or four different strains (hopefully from good recommendations and breeders) to find 2-4 mums, depending on how lucky I get.

Do you think I would be better off just choosing two and doing twenty of each?  I'm pretty set on running Headbanger from Karma so far...(fingers crossed for new stock, no idea of how regularly that happens)

Just to clarify, I intend to run one sativa/dom tent and one indica/dom tent, both tents full of the same clone.

Edited by FatBoy77
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I say this respectfully of course, but its an unanswerable question.

You could get a keeper in a pack of 3 fems, could still be looking after 100 in another.

Its like getting 4 of a kind in a game of poker, just luck and probability.

But some food for though, the genetics in a Cannabis seed can lead to a quite vast array of different genotypes. Then once you have those genotypes your environment can trigger different phenotype traits, your feeding habits can loose what some may call a keeper but for you it was a fussy runt. 

As blakpoolbouncer has said though, a good breeder should have locked down at least one particular trait, and if you have at least a rough idea of what your looking for then this will lead you to particular breeders.

What I would do is let folks know what your looking for and then go from there. You want body high or head high etc etc etc...

GV.

Edited by GreenVision
4 people like this

Rather stupid question really but since it's Sunday it is expected.

3 people like this

I would say that finding the perfect mother is directly proportional to how lucky you are.

1 person likes this

and what you as an individual likes out of weed, were all different and can smell, taste and like different things..

if you like something keep it, who is anybody to tell you what you can and can't like etc.. :stoned: 

3 people like this

2 hours ago, tokenroll said:

Rather stupid question really but since it's Sunday it is expected.

I see your point, well made.

1 person likes this

Its not how many seeds can you plant.Its how many different plants can you really test before the next crops in.Yep id do 20 beans each run.

Depends on the pack. It's a hard one to call. Even within a breeders stock. Some are better than others. I know I got you onto the headbanger but a few other good packs:

Discobiscuit ugorg. Platinum huckleberry cookies dynasty genetics. Karmarado og karma. Road dawg karma. And I've not finished em yet but dinafems gorilla based on reviews here and comparisons to strains I have grown, I'm 100% confident will deliver something sticky stinky and knock out. 

I’ve got some nice plants in at the moment, it really depends what smoke your after. 

I have 

Dinachem from Dinafem 

lemon dizzle and kushtyBx1 from Real gorilla seeds 

Think there’s only one plant I’d drop judging by smell and visuals (not cropped yet)

ugorg get some stinking reviews 

read read read :) 

best of luck in Your search 

@FatBoy77

have a look and anything from Dinafem,Sweets seeds,HSO will give you good results

1 person likes this

To find 3 or 4 good keepers is easy a years work for us small time growers, I lost my mothers just restarted at Christmas, I recon I’ll have the 4 keepers in maybe another year lol the first run through of 20 seeds turned up 1 keeper, I lost because the clone wouldn’t take and died on reveg, 1 maybe a keeper I’ll decide on second run, 3 or 4 good but not excellent, 3 or 4 shite for 1 reason or another rest mediocre, about to start seed run no 2 in a few weeks hopefully get some better luck.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, joba said:

@FatBoy77

have a look and anything from Dinafem,Sweets seeds,HSO will give you good results

Original (really? doubt it) amnesia by Dinafem - 10 female seeds, only one decent pheno found, other plants were awful, only two phenos matched.

Sweet seeds - 5 crystal candy, one good plant, other four pretty poor.  5 Black sugar rose, one decent plant, four poor ones.

HSO - Blue dream x10, massive yielder, average flavour, really weak smoke.  All nice looking big plants, no strength.

I'm obviously choosing the wrong strains!  I've only grown fem beans so far under HPS so upping my game and may revisit them after I've tried a few subbie runs from here first.  The weed I can buy in my area is knockout, so it looks like I'm on a real mission to match it.

I've got some more SS crystal candy going now so will be able to compare the cmh to hps weed, one pheno looks and smells familiar, which I wasn't expecting to be honest.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by FatBoy77
2 people like this

Just now, FatBoy77 said:

Original (really? doubt it) amnesia by Dinafem - 10 female seeds, only one decent pheno found, other plants were awful, only two phenos matched.

Sweet seeds - 5 crystal candy, one good plant, other four pretty poor.  5 Black sugar rose, one decent plant, four poor ones.

HSO - Blue dream, massive yielder, average flavour, really weak smoke.  All nice looking big plants, no strength.

I'm obviously choosing the wrong strains!  I've only grown fem beans so far under HPS so upping my game and may revisit them after I've tried a few subbie runs from here first.  The weed I can buy in my area is knockout, so it looks like I'm on a real mission to match it.

That’s the game mate, the subby seeds have some keepers, you’ll get more variation but some stonkers hidden in them, I been reading up on karma genetics there headbanger is well worth a look as well imo - out of stock everywhere this side of Atlantic far as I can see, supposedly a restock coming any day, I followed them on instagram looks like the breeders had a bike accident maybe a few weeks more to wait.

1 person likes this