Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mightymouse

Light distances

Hi everyone, i got a couple of autos growing they are 4 days old. Im using a 250watt hps. Has any body got an idea of distances bulb to canopy throughout the grow,

Thanks 

With a 250 i’d say 8-12 inches depending on your temps

Hi mate thanks for the reply im at seedling stage 5 days old im at about 2 an half foot away at the mo and they dont seem to be stretching 

Posted (edited)

Pop ypur light at the top of your tent and forget about it.

Your plants will thank you for it.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to be trying to get the bulb as close as possible. All you do is serve to create shadows, burn the volatile terpenes near the top and make the plants deal with a harsh environment.

E2a. Sit with your head under the hps at 8 inches above your head and see how you like it. 

If it's not comfortable for youn it won't be for the plants either 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
7 people like this

IMHO stretching in seedlings is caused by the degree of light they are getting as they break the surface and open the seed leaves. Stems are shorter if the light is on when they come up.

I usualy use a 250w for vegging and it's more than enough light, you could even get 3-4 plants to crop under one if you didn't veg them big. I've just now bought a 250w LED 'corn cob'  lamp, E40 fit, 6500k about 5500 lumens ( as yet untried) , that should be enough light for the first 2-3 weeks.

I disregarded your dealing with seedlings my bad 8 inches is to close for seedlings but throughout veg and flower 8-12 inches should be the sweet spot if your environment is bang on 

I bought a new halide 250 bulb a few months ago that needs much more headroom than that, more like 2ft lol