Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sargares

Kong Island

130 posts in this topic

Looking really nice there mate :spliff:

I must say, I'm really impressed with those quantum boards, although a bit out of my price range at this time :mellow:

Sorry to hear about your post problem mate :wallbash: I take it you are using sticky traps and sharp sand in your pots? That'll slow them down and keep the numbers a bit more manageable,  thatbis if you're not already doing that? They don't seem to be making a negative impact on your buds, as they look sweet :skin_up:

Good luck :bong:

3 people like this

On 12/07/2019 at 11:56 PM, AKPOG said:

I'm really impressed with those quantum boards

From what I'm seeing mate they are what we have been waiting for. Finally LED boards are comparable to the mighty HPS  ;)

A bit pricey but if they last for 3 to 5 years the price is not to bad. Probably comparable to swapping bulbs out every other grow. That's 4 bulbs per year x 5 years is 20 bulbs at around £20/bulb that 400 quid there  :yep:

I dare say as production of lights increase prices will drop making them more accessible  ;)

All the best  :bong:

Mark..

1 person likes this

Oh man they went past hps a good few years back. 

The latest greatest double end 1000w (1kw are more efficient) manages 2.1umol/w with a brand new bulb and has a CRI that's like.... 30 aka rubbish. They also push a shit load of heat out in front of em. The latest white led is pushing 2.6umol/w and has a CRI of about 80 I think. They're also good gfor about 100000 hours before they decrease to 90% of their original output. Where as a hps has reached that decrease in no time at all. 

Fungus gnats have dropped a shit load in the last few days so the predators must be working. And yeh yellow traps are in too. 

I'll take some pics maybe tomorrow they're fattening up nicely now. Close ups have been ruined as there's at least one fungus gnat stuck to the sugar leaves on every damn cola. Bastards. The gorilla's have really cannabilised themselves heavily now. They'll be a mess in another week but the buds look nice and that's the bit we want! 

Fungus gnats don't do much damage to adult plants btw especially in soil. They're a menace in rock wool where the only thing to eat is roots. Do a good number on seedlings though. 

Edited by Sargares
4 people like this

3 hours ago, Sargares said:

Oh man they went past hps a good few years back. 

I wouldn't necessarily agree mate, maybe 2 years ago we started to see comparable results to HPS but then the prices were crazy and way beyond the "hobby" growers. The techs been there for years it's been the prices and availability of quality LED bulbs that has been one major factor that and the addition of cheap Chinese LED light this made it hard for the quality panels to break through. We're there now I believe  ;)

Interesting topic and Interesting times  :yep:

Mark..

2 people like this

@Dinafem-Mark - Yer @Sargares is a bit of a wizard to be fair.. I have been growing for a decade non stop all mediums and learn a lot off interesting stuff off this guy the last couple of months lol

LED does outweigh HPS now for sure for a hobbiest. Yield and electricity usage alone speaks for itself for a couple of hundred quid on a good fixture. I would say 1000w HPS is probably working better on commercial scale? Have not seen many LED farms in the states for example... However that is changing with rebate plans in place I believe.

Edited by InTheSystem
2 people like this

2 hours ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

I wouldn't necessarily agree mate, maybe 2 years ago we started to see comparable results to HPS but then the prices were crazy and way beyond the "hobby" growers. The techs been there for years it's been the prices and availability of quality LED bulbs that has been one major factor that and the addition of cheap Chinese LED light this made it hard for the quality panels to break through. We're there now I believe  ;)

Interesting topic and Interesting times  :yep:

Mark..

Oh from an economic perspective yeh they've only started making sense fairly recently but from a raw firepower perspective, ignoring cost, they've had HPS beaten for a while now. 

My 500w of cobs were bought a few years back and they cost me a ridiculous amount for what they are, but even they beat the best HPS available today on a watt to watt comparison. 

3 people like this

14 minutes ago, Sargares said:

Oh from an economic perspective yeh they've only started making sense fairly recently but from a raw firepower perspective, ignoring cost, they've had HPS beaten for a while now. 

100% agree mate, the tech has been there but the cost is only just (past 2 year's) fallen to a more pocket friendly price ;)

I know you've been using LED and COB which I believe is (Chip On Board)? Any good point's or bad points you could add that would assist new growers making the transition? 

Also, I've never ran LED so I'm interested  ;)

19 minutes ago, InTheSystem said:

I would say 1000w HPS is probably working better on commercial scale?

Until around a year ago it was mainly HPS 1000w for commercial scale but I do know a few big farms in Vegas that are all LED driven so the big scale growers are making the swap. We did about a years ago with several mother rooms and from what I'm told costs are down on the electic and were getting better looking plant's  ;)

Win-Win :yep:

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
2 people like this

41 minutes ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

Until around a year ago it was mainly HPS 1000w for commercial scale but I do know a few big farms in Vegas that are all LED driven so the big scale growers are making the swap. We did about a years ago with several mother rooms and from what I'm told costs are down on the electic and were getting better looking plant's  ;)

Nice mate... So yer, LED is working. I know America have these rebate plans in place so can get the fixtures way cheaper. problem is these companies like KIND LED, SolarSystems are really terrible lights.. CMH or 1000w does perform better in flower than said LED lights, but proper COB's. Crees. strips will blow them away on PPFD...  Are they using them in Flower rooms on those farms in Vegas?

Edited by InTheSystem
1 person likes this

The leds pay themselves back fairly quickly over HPS. The commercial grows that aren't switching are shooting themselves in the foot if they have the funds available. The issue is that the one time cost for a couple of hundred led fixtures is a lot.... And not everyone has that kind of cash to dump in one go whether it makes sense or not. 

Theres always been a lot of Chinese junk out there with ridiculous claims on the box which has done a lot of damage (that still persists) to led reputation.

I was an earlier adopter for the decent LED's but only because a friend is a serious tech nerd and was ordering some DIY kits so I got in on the order. 

Now I've got cobs, quantum boards, led far red, infrared, deep red & led uv. I'm fully led now even in veg tent. 

Only buy white leds. Blurple is rubbish.

If they don't quote performance figures then don't buy em. They should have photon flux density, efficacy etc all clearly shown on any adverts. If they don't crush a hps then don't waste your money. 

As far as using em goes, the cobs you could run fairly close as they were not as mean as the latest boards. 

The qbs I veg at least 2 foot away and flower about 18 inches clear with broad leaves. If you're growing a thin leaved strain it'll probably take a bit more light. Any closer and they wilt from the light intensity. You can't do this with hps as easily, as to get close enough to cause significant light stress you'd have a much bigger issue with heat stress already. 

Run your grow room a few degrees warmer with led as the leaf surface temp will be a lot lower with led rather than hps. Saves money on hvac too.. 

If I was buying lights right now I'd go straight for the r spec quantum boards. Best bang for buck in my opinion. The latest fluence and gavita LED fixtures are better but more than double the price. 

Oh and another thing... 500w of led doesn't beat a 1kw de gavita.... Something like a HLG 550 is about as good as a single ended 1kw for light output. You'd need about 750w minimum to get the same performance as a brand new double ended 1kw.  Would cost you less electricity and heat would be easier to control though. 

BTW 1kw of led makes the same heat as 1kw of HPS but it doesn't beam it down onto your leaves like a hps does and 1kw of led is making a noticeable amount more light than a 1kw hps and its making MUCH better quality light. I've got a 10 inch tornado box fan extracting 1300w of LED and a 6c rvk intake from outside and my room never goes more than about 5 degrees over ambient. 

Edited by Sargares
1 person likes this

And and.... A 1kw de gavita or similar which is the only thing even close to LED Is really hard to use in a tent due to lack of headroom. 

1 person likes this