Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Owderb

Your fishing day

2,269 posts in this topic

Every time I rip through a load of work and plan a day , or night fishing ,either sinus and chest infection ,poor weather halts work and in turn creates pressure to get through it . It's pissing me off .Ii can't camp because my chest is wrecked but I have to get soaked when I need to go to work . I'm too exhausted in the evenings to go for a few casts locally . I had planned to fish a lesser known and fairly unfishable river,boggy terrain so because I'm not feeling fit I opted for a slightly busier ,fast flowing river where I have to pay to fish . Far away ,where hills are greener . Sunday was the day ,turns out we have a wedding in the family and they're getting fitted  for garments , something to do with dresses on Sunday . 

Every year I give one or two days worm fishing on a beautiful river ,not so conducive for the fly rod  just a few pools and a lot of trees .I don't like spinning ,worm fishing but I like the wilderness and to se a salmon swirl or just line up the bait and snap it fast ,leave a bare hook . I only saw that once ,and will never again see it . Was as good as catching the fish . 

2 people like this

Hoping to get on the bank this weekend (keep your fingers crossed they havent changed the padlock i have a key for which is the only way into my favourite spot!!)

@Mort does the pepperpot mean anything to you? I feel like i recognise the places you are describing...im probably miles out lol

2 people like this

Had a morning on the cage feeder fishing my favourite ground bait at the moment which is Banoffee Super Crush with dead red maggots, corn, caster, and 2mm micro's with hair rigged double corn

Had 3 lovely tench and 5 bream :)

large.IMG_3075.jpg

I would have stayed a bit longer but it was bloody cold with that northerly blowing. A lot cooler than I thought it was going to be. Autumn is well and truly here. Warm clothes are going with me in future

Owd

7 people like this

Mackerel very hit and miss still.....took a few good fish. 
:skin_up:

2 people like this

@OwderbA nice bag of Bream and Tench there mate, I think Sonubaits make some quality groundbaits, I haven’t tried that banoffee one yet, looks like the tench like it so I might grab a bag of that next time I am in the shop. 

Yesterday I went over the lakes I was at last week, my mate was on a match on the best lake, I had to fish the other lake as match fishing isn’t for me, this lake is much harder and I only managed to winkle the one tench out, I tried all sorts of bait combinations and this tench fell for 8ml hard garlic flavour pellet with 2ml pellets on the feeder.

It’s very warm down here for the time of year and I had a lovely afternoon getting baked with my Sticky Brick.

I have another day out planned tomoz, my mate is getting me a guest ticket for a small club lake, next week I am going to get the carp rod out and try for some big old girls and there is a small river I want to go and check out for the autumn.

large.DAA40DEA-6AA5-4A49-AD8C-EFCDBEBB868E.jpeglarge.42B59FD4-D7D9-487D-B8D1-4CE898B1ADDE.jpeg

Edited by Smokebelch
6 people like this

Nice fish ol'chap.

personally, i try to stay away from pellets and i fish chopped worms & sweetcorn (niblets) over a bed of hemp.

It comes from the days before pellets and boilies were invented, lol.

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed
2 people like this

@thatmanI tried worms and corn yesterday but no luck on those, also I was fishing the margins with a waggler but it was the pellets on the method feeder across to the Lilly pads that snagged me that tench.

If I am not catching I am always trying different methods and baits, it’s the beauty of fishing, no two days are the same so you are always learning.

Edited by Smokebelch
3 people like this

Had another cracking day again today. Decided to try different tactics and fish the maggot even though I knew I'd probably get bitted out. I did and they were really small fish so I kept feeding the maggot every drop in but fished corn on the hook to pick the better fish out and it worked a treat. I finished up with around 30lb including a 4lb common and a 2lb common. I ended up fishing at around 12" deep

IMG_3090.jpg

5 people like this

@OwderbThats a nice bag of fish there mate, good work.

I was out yesterday as well, my mate got me a guesty on his small local clubs carp lake, it’s a very private, secluded and quiet place and I had a great days fishing.

I caught a few on the method but the best fish were caught in 10 inches of water a foot from the bank, I was using a 10ft carp waggler rod and a small crystal waggler float with sweet corn on the hook.

Feeding micro pellets and corn brought them in and they were swirling around, churning up

the bottom and almost beaching themselves in the end. My float was moving around and bobbing all over the swim before burying when they sucked the corn in.

I always loose count but I think I had around 15, the biggest looked like a double so I got the scales out 9lb 7oz. 

Swirling in the margins

large.1820230F-C92B-4DD0-AD34-B7FDFF4CA851.jpeg

large.92E0E9C3-1250-4297-B4B0-EEF6B7E412FC.jpeg

large.95962990-790B-4E8C-86B0-82E2F1A9B733.jpeg

large.AA277189-CE9F-4C0B-B37C-E163125AFD54.jpeg

large.E61EF270-08B2-4596-AFCB-3D0334C0D462.jpeg

Edited by Smokebelch
5 people like this

I thought I would make the most of the last few days of the summer weather so I headed to the tench and crucian lake. My mission was to catch one of the true crucians that live in the lake. 

I fished the method feeder and an insert waggler  in the margins. I had a brilliant day of fishing with catching numerous bream, 11 tench, and a beautiful 2lb 6oz true crucian. Most of the fish were on the waggler rod in the margins, I was trickling hemp and 2mm pellets in all day and fishing a krill 6mm expander on the hook.

The lake hasn’t been stocked with carp but a few have ended up in there from the adjacent lake in floods I suspect. I had one on the waggler which was fun on the light float gear.

So that’s it from tomorrow it’s autumn and I will be after the bigger carp and doing some river fishing but I will be back here next year after tench and those crucians, they go over 4lb which is a proper specimen.

large.843BFC5B-556B-4E51-878E-70195792DA5B.jpeg

large.5625221E-5FFF-4E60-9B38-D4EF84C72373.jpeg

large.C39D34EC-B54C-4D4B-8E50-A34785E0D4A6.jpeg

large.E531A006-037D-4142-B381-90201EAE166E.jpeg

large.FAC8B461-A6D0-4A8E-AB91-013F9A36BF6D.jpeg

large.97EE5CDA-B5A3-431C-9C81-18167EA61E22.jpeg

large.4E91A153-108F-41F1-861E-99DE5EE70FB6.jpeg

Edited by Smokebelch
6 people like this

I've been trying hard ,fishing a few unknown rivers after work and took some days off ,and casting loud ,lure-ish sea trout and size ten trout flies that can catch salmon .I'm using flies I'd never have thought I'd use and tied twenty years ago .  I paid to fish some places that a bailiff couldn't walk ,because nor could I ,proper John Rambo stuff ,up and down banks ,torn to bits and walking in spate rivers .The gravel giving way under your feet and the water near your breast ,it's something like a ballet act in water. They're not fished much with a fly . I saw some salmon ,I caught some small trout but a lot of disappointment .I went local to a good trout river but not a very productive salmon river ,some run it though . I fished a stretch of flat water with a big Green Peter and claret bumble fly . I hit what I think was a salmon after two hours casting on dead ,deep river water in the rain . Just in the fish for two seconds but I saw his side or underneath and he was well over a foot long ,maybe not two foot but a serious tug on the rod and the hook hadn't set . Thing is so many places aren't documented and I would bet if a fella spent enough time ,stripping line ,at the right time he'd catch salmon in a place that isn't really fished for salmon .It depends on the area too ,abundance of rivers and some are just not a dry fly fisherman's dream, yet may be worthwhile or interesting  the once off for wild trout but very few of them with the rapids ,and the water looks so good after a rocky stretch or turn in a river  .The water was low though everywhere lately . I hate to admit it but at times I think if I threw a worm into some of those pools I might be more likely to tempt a salmon ,but when I'm holding a worm /spinning rod I'm anxious and I want four or five spinning rods to keep busy ,or just the fly rod ! I saw some beautiful places ,saw a large salmon leap in two foot of water . I'm absolutely sickened ,not knowing what I hit tonight . I'm very tempted to go on a fishing binge and blow off all responsibilities ,before the season ends like ,might be dead before it reopens . 

3 people like this

Back from our annual visit north of Inverness.

10 Salmon to 3 rods for the week, all returned safely.

I had 2 nice cock fish although well coloured they still put up a good fight. One around 8lb and the other at around 10lb.

Grayling soon, our local river closes for Salmon on Thursday so last ditch attempt for some late runners tomorrow.

Bio

1 person likes this

Got to keep going fishing. Its the only thing that keeps me sane these days. Was a bit cold today with a biting wind so fished the whip close in with 2mm pellet for feed with a bit of ground bait and expanders on the hook. Managed 37 fish for around 8-10lb so not too bad considering :) 

large.IMG_3206.jpg

Owd

5 people like this

Proper bag of bits that Owd :yep:  Get a proper fight on the whip too...

3 people like this

Time to dig out the egi gear and get after some squid!

1 person likes this