Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Owderb

Your fishing day

1,948 posts in this topic

Caught my first fish on a fly rod :yep:  @Salty @Captain Bonglington

Was a baby salmon about 3 inches long, but it's a start lol 

spent the the last few weeks getting to know my new stretch of river and waiting for the rain. 5/6 weeks now and all we've had is the odd shower. Barely enough to cool the roads. You wouldn't believe in Wales!?! 

Cleared a bit from some of the banks to make life a bit easier. 

Off to practice casting. Any tips would be appreciated @Salty

3 people like this

@the lone deranger this time of year your best chance of a fish are first and last light. Or through the dark for seatrout but that's another thing altogether. What are you fishing for mucker? Trout or salmon/seatrout?

I fished five nights last week for one seatrout at 3lb 11oz and one lost at the net,a wee bit smaller.

Was also seeing plenty fish moving through which can only bode well for the future.

Waters up today so ive got the worming gear out and away out looking for a salmon tomorrow.

4 people like this

@Salty thanks for the reply mate :yep: 

Long story short, I've just moved my caravan next to a small river in Wales. Been told by a reliable source I'm sat along some good spots for both the Sewin and Salmon, but I've never really fished for them till now. 

I'm fairly confident (compared to fly fishing) with spinning, trotting worms, and dropping ledgers in when the rivers up, (spent the last few weeks walking the river and sussing it out) but the fly is definitly the only way I'm gonna catch anything when it's low. 

Held a fly rod for the first time the other day lol can't believe I caught on it. 

Hoping to catch the sea trout, and then the salmon when they run. But the river's been low for weeks now, lower than I've seen it. 

Until the rain comes I'm happy going for the tiddlers that are abundant, more for the casting practice than anything else. 

I thought they were little brownies but the two I've had out are baby salmon. 

At the moment I'm mainly practicing my casting on the bank with a bit of cotton instead of a fly.

The dream will be night fishing for the Sewin on a fly, but I'm a way off that yet lol 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Nice one mate. :yep:

I'd be chuffed with that too, I can cast a fly, I've cast them on a nice chalk stream before, I caught fuck all.....lol

Edit to add, anyway, fuck fly fishing, just stick a Mepps on and thrash it to a foam.....:P

Edited by Captain Bonglington
1 person likes this

Don't let the low water put you off @the lone deranger they can still be caught.

Sewin are happy to run in low water. Try late evenin into darkness with a teal blue and silver or a silver stoat on the point and a mini muddler on the drop,make a nice wake. No less than 6lb leader.

For salmon go lightweight...trout rod and size 12s and 14s,ive had them on 16s in summer.

Main thing is keep a fly in the water.....ye won't catch anything sat watching telly.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

First day of the coarse river season today....I fancied a bit of fishing, but i fancied taking the kayak out as well, so I combined the two.

I took a tiny telescopic rod disguised as a pen with me (You're not supposed fish off a kayak in fresh water, I can stash the little rod in the hull of the boat ) and chucked a little lure about a bit, it was windy which made it hard to fish properly, but i had a small Perch, and had a savage take which I bumped off, the curl tail of the lure had folded over the hook point.

All good fun, I'm looking forward to giving it another go when it's less windy. :yep:

Anyone else been out today?

Edited by Captain Bonglington
2 people like this

large.20180630_122610.jpglarge.20180630_081749-1620x1620.jpglarge.20180630_122425.jpgred letter hour at the docks this morning!!

8 people like this

first cast fish set the tone!!

they only got bigger.... (see above for a bigger)large.20180630_073617-1620x1620.jpg

4 people like this

@stu sleeper 20vt

Nice fish!

Water looks clean for a harbour?

Bio

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Biokid said:

@stu sleeper 20vt

Nice fish!

Water looks clean for a harbour?

Bio

hi bio and thanks.

its a large dock complex mate so not affected by tides.

off out again now (hence posting at 4am!!)

3 people like this

another successfull morning...

catching two days on the bounce is rare when fishing for mullet.large.20180630_073650_crop_640x640.jpg

5 people like this

So after a couple of really dry months we finally got some water and some fish.

Went out today with my fishing buddy and found the river just perfect,dropping steady with just a touch of colour. 

Started with the worm and it wasn't long before my mate had a take.....a lovely wee hen fish of about 4lb. She was quickly slipped back to continue on her way.

Things went a bit quiet so we jumped into my mates Jeep and went downstream to a large broken weir with a nice glide above and a big swirly basin below.

I started above the rapids with the worm and pulled the bait from a salmon's mouth...TWICE...before changing to a gold bladed  black bodied flying c. This proved to be the right move as I hooked and lost a salmon and caught two gorgeous sea trout around the 3lb mark,shining silver and fighting fit. Like the wee grilse they were promptly returned and swam off strongly.

It was one of those days when it's good to be alive,and tbh,its been a long time since I've felt that way........and a few nice fish was the icing on top. Superb.

7 people like this

Caught a nice wee grilse of about 5lb,a cock fish and he was fresh run. So......he was retained for the pot.

The river is still holding at a good height and there's a few fish about so al likely be out again tomorrow.

It's hard work but someone has to do it

5 people like this

On the Alness in a few weeks time, hope there is some water.

I believe it is full C&R this year more's the pity. It is always good to take 1 for the pot each year. All my local rivers are c&r but there are no fish to speak of anyway :(

Bio

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Finally a good flood. The water is about 5ft on the marker and rising.

My fishin buddy went down for a look first thing (supposed to be fishing today) and there's trees and all kinds of shit coming down. I nearly choked on my coffee when he told me he seen a rather large flouro pink dildo floating downstream......heard it all now 

Anyways, last week there was large numbers of salmon coming in and out with the tide, just waiting for enough water to run the river.....they will be feeling the urge strong now.....and I'm expecting to see some of these fish when the water drops in enough to get fishing.

Did you get fishin the Alness @Biokid ? Did ye see much fish?

About three weeks to go this season so time enough to get a couple more yet,hopefully the big fella av been chasing for 20 odd years

Edited by Salty
1 person likes this