Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


PiratePete

First Time Autos: Dinafem - Blue Cheese(x2), Cheese, Critical+ 2.0

65 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So far everything has gone OK I think. I did have a slight mess up at the start when I didn't pre-soak the pots or anything like that. Obviously didn't do enough reading on this part! So now I'm trying to go for damage limitation and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Maybe I'm panicking about nothing and it will get better? But I thought better to ask.

 

I popped the seeds on 22nd/23rd of March and planted them with taproots about 3/4" long. They all sprouted apart from the Fruit Autoflower.. I'll try them again next time. So I'm left with 4. I have a 1.2mx1.2mx2m tent.

I've done ALOT of reading over the years and leading up to this also point I done a lot more reading so I thought I was doing well until this morning.

 

So I planted on the date above and everything was OK. I was starting under veg light only as the pictures show. I was being cautious as this was a first for me on everything.. I added some water around the seed initially (my tap water is ph 7.2-7.4) when I planted and all seemed to be going well.

First pics under veg only light for 7-8 days.
xksra9.jpg

 

15foy1u.jpg

 

vo4k1e.jpg

 

Now this is where I think I messed up. So after reading some more about temps and RH, pH etc. I read that I should have pre-soaked my pots, which I never done. At this point I panicked and watered my plants a fair bit. They had been getting little bits here and there over the time so far but nothing major. I am using Fox Farm Big Bloom Grow Big and Tiger Bloom. At the moment I only used the Big Bloom and I have cut the quantities to a 1/4 of what a 'normal' plant would get. This has come from reading others experience etc where they advised at least half the nutes.

 

The first picture below is my issue.. The leaves started to slightly surl last night and this morning I noticed a few 'rust' like spots on the leaves. Now from some quick reading I've found it could be a couple things. One I overwatered when I panicked and that's why the leaves are curling. Also there is not enough movement of air, I've been running with the extraction off to keep humidity decent, around 60%, if I run with extraction on then it drops to around 45-50%. Again from what I've read the seedlings would thrive in a slightly more humid environment. There's also the chance that the orange spots have come from a little bit of water hitting the leaves during feeding that time? Have a look see if anyone can see anything obvious.

 

33ndlsk.jpg

 

vyxuz4.jpg

 

6pstag.jpg

 

5plytw.jpg

 

All the others (3) look fine, to me anyway, so I'm leaning towards a slight overwater/splashing of feed on leaves.

 

Any thoughts?

Edited by PiratePete
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

What is your lighting regime? 20/4, 24/0 or 18/6? If you are turning the lights off keep an eye on the root temps. Don't go below 20 degrees at root level

 

What is your medium? If it's compost you don't need to bother with ph as the soil will take of that. Also if you are using compost you don't need to add feed for a while and some Autos are light feeders anyway.

 

Follow a wet/dry cycle and you should be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Larry Badgeley said:

What is your lighting regime? 20/4, 24/0 or 18/6? If you are turning the lights off keep an eye on the root temps. Don't go below 20 degrees at root level

 

What is your medium? If it's compost you don't need to bother with ph as the soil will take of that. Also if you are using compost you don't need to add feed for a while and some Autos are light feeders anyway.

 

Follow a wet/dry cycle and you should be fine. 

 

The soil I'm using is Biobizz Light-Mix. Not ideal but it is what it is now I've started n all.

I've not had the lights off at all so running 24/0, but only in the last 2 days that I've put full lights (veg and bloom) on and not just the veg light

I've set my temp and RH monitor hanging from one of the pots. Currently sitting at 23.3ºc and never been below 21.8ºc. Should I get something for monitoring temps that goes directly in to the soil?

Edited by PiratePete

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, PiratePete said:

 

The soil I'm using is Biobizz Light-Mix. Not ideal but it is what it is now I've started n all.

I've not had the lights off at all so running 24/0, but only in the last 2 days that I've put full lights (veg and bloom) on and not just the veg light

I've set my temp and RH monitor hanging from one of the pots. Currently sitting at 23.3ºc and never been below 21.8ºc. Should I get something for monitoring temps that goes directly in to the soil?

 

Ahhh you're using LED's then? To be honest they look fine. Are you reading the temps in full light? 23 degrees seems a little cool to me. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

It says your feeding bloom nutes now? 

 

What compost are you using? 

A plant that size even in light mix won't be wanting half strength bloom nutes. 

 

If the compost is prefertilised then as a general rule it's good for roughly a month of growth 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

I would keep the extraction on low to keep the air exchanging, 45-50 isn't "perfect" but is pretty good, mine was around 29% this grow through veg so far from ideal but they get through it. If you have splashed any nutes (which you don't need at the moment as there is enough in the soil until next pot up) on the leaves then it will burn a little but nothing to worry about just be careful moving forward :)  

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Larry Badgeley said:

 

Ahhh you're using LED's then? To be honest they look fine. Are you reading the temps in full light? 23 degrees seems a little cool to me. 

 

Yea I'm hanging the monitor from the fabric pot itself and it's in the middle sitting around 24 at the moment, humidity 52. A little cool? As in anything I should worry about/change?

 

 

3 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

It says your feeding bloom nutes now? 

 

What compost are you using? 

A plant that size even in light mix won't be wanting half strength bloom nutes. 

 

If the compost is prefertilised then as a general rule it's good for roughly a month of growth 

 

I'm using biobizz light mix, it's what I had so it's what I've used this time. Got Coco ordered for next time, just didn't know before I started this time. Yes very minor amount of nutes have been used, I panicked the other night and it got a 1/4 or what is recommended for this stage.. but fortunately I guess I only panicked once haha. I'm changing back to just water until week 4-5.

 

2 hours ago, Autobud said:

I would keep the extraction on low to keep the air exchanging, 45-50 isn't "perfect" but is pretty good, mine was around 29% this grow through veg so far from ideal but they get through it. If you have splashed any nutes (which you don't need at the moment as there is enough in the soil until next pot up) on the leaves then it will burn a little but nothing to worry about just be careful moving forward :)  

 

At the moment I've not got anything to control my extraction so it's all or nothing. Everything seems to be fine for now in terms of temps and humidity although a little warmer would be nice.

 

Yea I'm hoping you're right about that, I've put all nutes away for now and will just feed water when required, hopefully this clears up soon enough.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know what your doing for intake, I assume it's passive, then you can restrict it a bit which will help. 

Say if you've got both intakes open, drop it to one and it might help with temps. 

 

All the best with the grow bud 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, blackpoolbouncer said:

I don't know what your doing for intake, I assume it's passive, then you can restrict it a bit which will help. 

Say if you've got both intakes open, drop it to one and it might help with temps. 

 

All the best with the grow bud 

 

You are correct sir! One is full open and the other was partially open. I'll close then up and monitor tonight, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Don't completely shut everything though your tent will implode lol

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

It says your feeding bloom nutes now? 

 

What compost are you using? 

A plant that size even in light mix won't be wanting half strength bloom nutes. 

 

If the compost is prefertilised then as a general rule it's good for roughly a month of growth 

 

totally agree here m8, listen to @blackpoolbouncer.

i only use bio buzz light mix and you will not need nutes for weeks, there is plenty in the soil already to keep them growing for ages yet.

i would try adding some silica/root simulator ( i use plant magic nutes ) in the water at the stated dose on the bottle and its also pointless using ph altered water in soil as the soil itself will act as a buffer,

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

can u not add a heater in there to keep temps up?

Share this post


Link to post

I closed up the tent (mostly) and put the monitor in the floor between the pots and it's reading 44% humidity and 25.1ºc. Should I be aiming higher? I don't think it will go higher without for example a heater as suggested.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Thought I'd give a little update to how things have gone so far..

I had an issue this week as I never bought enough nutes to see me through, I thought I was going to be doing 1.. not 4.. Anyway, long story short they finally arrived, but I've not used any for a while as they have been simply getting water and seem to be OK with that! Light stayed 24/0 for about 3 and 1/2 weeks, after that I've switched to 20/4, hence I managed pictures without lights.

 

Have a looks and see what you guys think. The one with the 'bend' in the stalk is the one that had the browning issues early on in the above/previous pictures. Since it was the one (Cheese) showing signs of a issues I decided to try an play around with bending/training. I didn't do too well, it may have gone OK had I continued, but I panicked and decided to take it off, it kept shape to an extent, but you can see for yourself.

My temps since I posted originally have never been below 20.1ºc and RH is at 45-50%. They have been fed approx every 2-3 days depending on how dry the soil is a inch or so deep.

 

I THINK they're doing just fine, all 4 plants are now different sizes at this point, I've raised the shortest one, by placing on a box. This small one also appears to be my most bushy plant! The other two, which I am pretty sure are blue cheese have stretched a little and the Critical is the small bushy one.

Anyway, long post over, have a look, see what you think of how my first grow is going so far. I've taken on board all I've been told on here etc and I think it's got me on a good track!

Some pictures.. the part we all like! In no particular order.. (names on picture)2rq14s6.jpg

 

25j8txc.jpg

 

2qu1ax5.jpg

 

 

qqqyhy.jpg

 

ab2qyo.jpg

 

9bj334.jpg

 

 

 

Again, I'm more than willing to listen to info. So if there is something I've done wrong etc please let me know if there is any advice you can give, I'll take it, I'm willing to learn :) 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Nothing to add other than lovely job bud, well done 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now