Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Lewg91

Clones drooping after 7 days

34 posts in this topic

during the colder climate if I put clones in a heated prop I stand them on something, the bottom of the prop is way to warm 

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, hash72 said:

during the colder climate if I put clones in a heated prop I stand them on something, the bottom of the prop is way to warm 

Gonna do this later on tonight any ideas of what to stand them on? 

1 person likes this

sorry minds gone blank, anything that raises the pots 2 or 3inches

Just now, hash72 said:

sorry minds gone blank, anything that raises the pots 2 or 3inches

I’ll have a rummage around for something. Thanks pal 

1 person likes this

When this happened to me it was because I'd opened the vents too early 

1 person likes this

I put a propagator tray on top of the heated propagator tray, that keeps the pots at a reasonable temp and not overheating the plants. I have an old heated prop which has no control for temp. When I first tried it out I put in a thermometre to check the temp. It was pushing 90F but using the second tray it stays around 78-80. I generally spray with water for 2 or 3 days, not a lot just to moisten all leaf. I do not cut leaf but will cut some lower off and keep cuttings about 4-5 inch, smaller if its all I can take.

I open vents a little after a couple of days. I use soil but with a small cut cube of rockwool.

I get most clones rooted within a week, but always take 2 of each variety which reduces the odds of losing any given new variety on the go. I guess I lose 1 out of every 30 or so.

As for using Clonex within the 6 months, I have a Clonex which must be well over 5 yr old and it looks fine. Stored in a cupboard.

I also take clones just using a cup of water and stick a few in there, no rooting gel or powders. They root at the same rate as the ones in soil with Clonex or other rooting agents.

They actually root quicker in the water if you top it up each day by just spraying it with water at a narrow stream to put air in there. Just watch the roots do not get tangled up.

I plant in soil as its easier to pot up.

Good luck and do not throw out that old Clonex.

4 people like this

For a heated prop to work properly, the room it is in needs to be cooler than inside the prop. :pitchfork:

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Mr_cocofibrelover said:

For a heated prop to work properly, the room it is in needs to be cooler than inside the prop. :pitchfork:

It is up in a loft so pretty cool to be honest 

4 hours ago, Lewg91 said:

It is up in a loft so pretty cool to be honest 

Cool bro. Hang in there they should recover 

1 person likes this

Filled the bottom of the prop with clay pebbles as it was the only thing I had to hand. Will see how they all go I did take a few more just incase. Thanks for all the help guys much appreciated 

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, MyDisplayName2000 said:

I put a propagator tray on top of the heated propagator tray, that keeps the pots at a reasonable temp and not overheating the plants. I have an old heated prop which has no control for temp. When I first tried it out I put in a thermometre to check the temp. It was pushing 90F but using the second tray it stays around 78-80. I generally spray with water for 2 or 3 days, not a lot just to moisten all leaf. I do not cut leaf but will cut some lower off and keep cuttings about 4-5 inch, smaller if its all I can take.

I open vents a little after a couple of days. I use soil but with a small cut cube of rockwool.

I get most clones rooted within a week, but always take 2 of each variety which reduces the odds of losing any given new variety on the go. I guess I lose 1 out of every 30 or so.

As for using Clonex within the 6 months, I have a Clonex which must be well over 5 yr old and it looks fine. Stored in a cupboard.

I also take clones just using a cup of water and stick a few in there, no rooting gel or powders. They root at the same rate as the ones in soil with Clonex or other rooting agents.

They actually root quicker in the water if you top it up each day by just spraying it with water at a narrow stream to put air in there. Just watch the roots do not get tangled up.

I plant in soil as its easier to pot up.

Good luck and do not throw out that old Clonex.

I’m gonna do a few just bare and compare the results. Cheers for the inspiration!

Quick update. 2 have nice thick white roots coming through and the rest still have nothing as yet fingers crossed they make it. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 3/28/2019 at 7:36 PM, Lewg91 said:

Quick update. 2 have nice thick white roots coming through and the rest still have nothing as yet fingers crossed they make it. 

If you see roots, they should be fine... I've had some look completely knackered and come back fine...

I dunno about how others do it, but, I lower the humidity right back when the roots come through and then begin to water/feed.

As others have said, clones don't want much heat or light, I just throw them in coco, damp it, cover the 0.5l pot with a plastic bag and leave them in a small bedside cab with a 15watt cfl - I cover the tops with a sheet of paper to clock out light for the first week... 100% success so far!

Good luck!

Edited by Slugums
1 person likes this

On 26/03/2019 at 11:49 AM, HVACman said:

The droop should have gone by now.

My Routine in Brief

Get the following together,

Heated / unheated propagator, your choice, to suit your needs.

Temp/rh meter

t5 lighting

Clean tool (Scalpel) for taking cuts

Clonex, in date and open less than 6 months

Great White Powder, I’m sure other brands are available

Clean water in clean container, (never paid much attention to temp) obvs just temperate, not over body temp but not straight out the tap, tap temps circa 12c atm.

Spray bottle.

Propagation Medium (rockwool for me)

Clean Hands/Clothes/Gloves.

Two days before you even take a cutting have your area set up,

Lights in Position (I use two t5 30cm)The single ones they sell in Growell.

Propagotor In place

Temp RH meter in place. (Inside propagator)

Medium Wetted and in the proagator, keep RH high, my temp tends to hover around 24c +\- 2c (inside propogator, vents closed)

Fast forward two days...

So your temps are fine, humidity is high 70% plus, cubes are moist, not soaked, lights are on, you’ve got a brew and your phone to hand, just in case. Maybe a pre roll for after.

make the holes in your cubes approximate to your internode size of your clone, just not too big.

Decant Clonex and Great White, a little

goes a long way here,place in easy access to cutting. A little planning here is good so you can complete the operation in one swoop.

select cutting, trim from mother under the node you want, straight into the container of water, leave for a minute or so,

Then, cut the node just below or through the node, cut straight. 

Dip  in clonex for a minute, dust with great white and gently place into medium, repeat. Trim excessive foliage.

Place into the propagotor, maintain high RH (70%). Dampen as necessary to keep Rh up and cubes MOIST, not WET.

Usually ‘stuck’ within three days, flop has gone within 3,thick white fuzzy roots in 7.

Ive had a very high strike rate with this.

This might help, might not, just my 2p.

BR

Gents I know it’s been a long time, but, I was curious to see if a difference in medium would affect my results using the same procedure.

Results are, no difference at all with root riot medium still got thick white roots in same amount of time(ish +/- 1-2days)

Ill repeat the process again, to confirm.

Hope all your issues got sorted.

1 person likes this

On 3/27/2019 at 1:16 AM, MyDisplayName2000 said:

As for using Clonex within the 6 months, I have a Clonex which must be well over 5 yr old and it looks fine.

Wow thats good going , both me and a mate have lost a prop full of cuts and pretty much put this down to the clonex. When we had disasters and took a close look at the solution it had gone a bit cloudy.

Now Im always buying Clonex so as to avoid clone death . I dont know who buys the big bottle that sits on the shelf in growshops !.  Mr Coleman (the mustard man) used to say he made his fortune on what people leave on the side of the plate. GT must be a bit the same with Clonex I never use more than 10%

2 people like this