Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Herbert Spliffington

Welsh Mountain Herb Farming (1st Grow)

17 posts in this topic

Hello folks, I'm Herb.  Finally got my arse into gear and I'm growing my own for once.  Having a shot anyway!  I am usually quite shit at keeping records and organised and such but I've always been sure I want to document the journey, so I am starting this thread now while I am on the computer and can be arsed.

I just ordered twelve Real Gorilla Seeds, and some jiffy pellets.

The strains I went for were Green Gold and Mighty Gold, half and half. Feminised.

I would love to keep it old school and sex the plants and save money and learn more about farming with natural seeds, but I will be working away most of the summer, and want to be able to relax and just leave em to it.  I went for RGS because they were a bit cheaper than what I was going to go for, and after reading a few rave reviews I started noticing more tales of their greatness popping up - especially the Mighty Gold.  

I have several plots on various mountainsides - all with uninterrupted sky and perfect S or SE views.  There's absolutely no one about and almost no reason to go to them, but if you did there's no cover for a big plot.  Most grows (it seems) is find a spot with good sun that's totally enclosed/protected, and then cram as many plants as possible in there.  But my environment, I reckon, is better suited to sparse planting, out in the open for the world to see, but in camouflage.  Like a wolf in sheeps clothing! Har har....

I'm talking about tens of square miles of forestry and field, and roughly fuck all people for each of those square miles.  I have walked for hundreds of hours around this area, and see another person perhaps once every ten or twelve.  Almost always on proper footpaths, that is.  Anyway, the essence of my theory is that 6-8 plants dotted in very small groups across this area is very unlikely to be discovered, when you consider how close you'd need to get to smell or spot a lone ganja plant among the other foliage.  They're a pain in the arse to get to, all on slopes, with lots of obstacles, all to get absolutely nowhere.

I just realised I've actually written a fair bit, my plan was just to put it down to ensure I continued it, not actually write about this.  It's 10:40am and I still haven't slept so I'm going to do that now.  

I will be back soon and give a proper log!  Look forward to me crying to y'all for help when it all goes tits up :haha: 

11 people like this

11 minutes ago, Herbert Spliffington said:

Hello folks, I'm Herb.  Finally got my arse into gear and I'm growing my own for once.  Having a shot anyway!  I am usually quite shit at keeping records and organised and such but I've always been sure I want to document the journey, so I am starting this thread now while I am on the computer and can be arsed.

I just ordered twelve Real Gorilla Seeds, and some jiffy pellets.

The strains I went for were Green Gold and Mighty Gold, half and half. Feminised.

I would love to keep it old school and sex the plants and save money and learn more about farming with natural seeds, but I will be working away most of the summer, and want to be able to relax and just leave em to it.  I went for RGS because they were a bit cheaper than what I was going to go for, and after reading a few rave reviews I started noticing more tales of their greatness popping up - especially the Mighty Gold.  

I have several plots on various mountainsides - all with uninterrupted sky and perfect S or SE views.  There's absolutely no one about and almost no reason to go to them, but if you did there's no cover for a big plot.  Most grows (it seems) is find a spot with good sun that's totally enclosed/protected, and then cram as many plants as possible in there.  But my environment, I reckon, is better suited to sparse planting, out in the open for the world to see, but in camouflage.  Like a wolf in sheeps clothing! Har har....

I'm talking about tens of square miles of forestry and field, and roughly fuck all people for each of those square miles.  I have walked for hundreds of hours around this area, and see another person perhaps once every ten or twelve.  Almost always on proper footpaths, that is.  Anyway, the essence of my theory is that 6-8 plants dotted in very small groups across this area is very unlikely to be discovered, when you consider how close you'd need to get to smell or spot a lone ganja plant among the other foliage.  They're a pain in the arse to get to, all on slopes, with lots of obstacles, all to get absolutely nowhere.

I just realised I've actually written a fair bit, my plan was just to put it down to ensure I continued it, not actually write about this.  It's 10:40am and I still haven't slept so I'm going to do that now.  

I will be back soon and give a proper log!  Look forward to me crying to y'all for help when it all goes tits up :haha: 

Use water crystals if your away for long and there's another heatwave

1 person likes this

Cheers for the advice B-Real - if we have as much sun as last year I will be amazed, but very much a happy bunny. I will be back at intermittent periods so I can provide some care but if they start budding when I'm away and males show themselves (me not being there to pull them), would they not make my girls produce seeds?

I am accounting for non-sprouting/male seeds and would be happy if I got 6 of the 12 seeds to the veg stage.  I'm wondering, what are people's general expectation when buying seeds small scale?  What proportion are dud, usually?  As I say I am using Real Gorilla Seeds, so if anyone has ever grown these before or has any advice on what to expect or do, please share!

I've been considering - on my friend's advice - buying a daylight bulb, putting it in a normal lamp and giving the seedlings an extra blast of rays every day (ish) once they've got leaves.  I will keep them on a warm windowsill and chase the sun as much as possible.  But April can easily be a grey dreary month and I'm worried my babies will get a weak start in life without proper sun.  

Has anyone anyone ever boosted their seedlings with a daylight bulb?  Is the science behind that idea even sound?  (as in a cheap daylight bulb in a desk lamp as opposed to an actual grow light)

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Herbert Spliffington said:

Cheers for the advice B-Real - if we have as much sun as last year I will be amazed, but very much a happy bunny. I will be back at intermittent periods so I can provide some care but if they start budding when I'm away and males show themselves (me not being there to pull them), would they not make my girls produce seeds?

I am accounting for non-sprouting/male seeds and would be happy if I got 6 of the 12 seeds to the veg stage.  I'm wondering, what are people's general expectation when buying seeds small scale?  What proportion are dud, usually?  As I say I am using Real Gorilla Seeds, so if anyone has ever grown these before or has any advice on what to expect or do, please share!

I've been considering - on my friend's advice - buying a daylight bulb, putting it in a normal lamp and giving the seedlings an extra blast of rays every day (ish) once they've got leaves.  I will keep them on a warm windowsill and chase the sun as much as possible.  But April can easily be a grey dreary month and I'm worried my babies will get a weak start in life without proper sun.  

Has anyone anyone ever boosted their seedlings with a daylight bulb?  Is the science behind that idea even sound?  (as in a cheap daylight bulb in a desk lamp as opposed to an actual grow light)

Yes yes and yes to all

I am growing with rgsc and I have all fems so no need to worry about males if you have bought regs then hmmm you took a punt buying non fems I'd deffo separate them from feminized seeds germination rate I had a couple that never took off but it was probably down to me.

This year I'm going to soak all seeds for 24 hours in water in my airing cupboard then put potting soil into a food collinder/pasta drainer thingy and sieve the soil to make into nice and fluffy and remove big lumps twigs/shit in the potting soil mix fill up verry small pots around 3/5inches high and  the same with width after 24 hours if a roots showing or not into the soil litterally little finger down to the nail depth seed in cover it dont pack it down maybee root powders and table light with cfl is a must leave it on about 5 inches above pots 24/7 until the seedling is the desired size for repoting then planting out... 

Regarding water I missed it out get a spray bottle is a must before seed goes in spray the soil until wet till the pot runs out then leave do this the night before planting so the soil isn't waterlogged and rots the seeds.

Then only water when you can put your little finger into the soil and it goes kinda crumbly..even then light even misting with the sprayer..

I hope this kinda helps

Edited by B-real
Forgot water sprayer
3 people like this

I"d consider a good , light , quality seed mix to start with like canna terra seed mix , seeing as the germination stage is the most dodgy (go wrong) stage . I germinate my fems in paper towells in a plastic takeaway carton on my PS4 running for warmth , with about 90% + sucsess rate ...... Yes you want some sort of light on them to start with , they are so slow with just sun light especialy this time of year .... small T5s on ebay do the job for £30/£40 

3 people like this

Thanks again B-Real, good shout regarding all.  Will definitely invest in a sprayer.  Sieving the soil sounds like a good idea too, given how little soil you need at the beginning and how delicate and sensitive their tiny roots are.  Why the hell not!  All the seeds are feminised but I was under the impression it's normal to get the odd male in fem seeds but maybe that's usually the crapper seeds banks.  I was going to go with Seedsman but I've read a lot of negative stuff about them.  

Thanks also Rik, I have had a look at seed mixes but they're a fair bit online and I'm fairly far from any grow or even gardening shops.  I think I will be using normal old (good quality) compost, which I already have at home, during germination. I know a lot of people don't bother with ferts or nutes or anything while they're just babies, and if they can get great results doing that, I'm going assume I can too.  I'm not confident enough in my nute/mineral knowledge to experiment on my first grow.  I would love to get a T5 or similar but again, I'm too skint! A couple of daylight bulbs off eBay however, I can afford.  

Moving on... I haven't even dug the fucking holes yet!

Also, I don't know what I will be putting in the holes!

I think I will be mixing good quality compost with some:

-Rock dust 

-Blood Fish n Bone

-Possibly some calcified seaweed (need to read more on this, anyone have any advice?) 

-A small amount of homemade compost (small because I'm afraid it might throw pH off with things like orange peel, however there is lots of good shit in there)

I will hopefully be filling them (having dug them) by the end of the week.  The girls won't be going out there until they are strong and healthy, so the mix has 1-2 months to sit, and I can add extra stuff if I need to.  Does this sound alright to you?  Have I left it way too late?  Is that recipe a decent basic soil mix?

For next year I will 100% be composting the best sites.  I compost loads anyway and I love it, and this whole fiasco would be so much easier if I already had a big hole of rotten mush waiting for me at the site.  And with a whole year to play with, I could get a pH tester, etc. etc. get really into it and have a bumper crop (in my dreams).  Right now I'm extremely busy and I don't have the time to research products properly nor the money to waste on them if I get it wrong.  I nearly bought a £5 electric pH tester off eBay, but I thought to myself, is this really going to give me an accurate pH?  Could this unbranded eBay pH tester tell me 6 when it's actually 5?  or even 4.5? And how could I ever know without owning a truly accurate tester?

I don't really know what I'm doing and I don't have time to properly research everything or do any elaborate prep.  So my thinking is:

-Whack the seeds in Jiffy Plugs

-Pop the seedlings into oversized pots

-Give em a blast with daylight bulbs when I can and put them in sunshine whenever possible 

-When they're big enough to be a pain in the arse inside, move them out to a polytunnel, still in their original pots.  Water when necessary, and maybe some N based fertiliser?

-When I'm confident the surviving ladies can take the wind and rain, I will take them out and plant them in the holes with the seed mix described above^.  I plan to stagger the planting slightly, with those maturing earliest going first.  Partly for insurance and partly because I don't think I'll be able to discreetly carry more than a few at a time.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA?  

Edited by Herbert Spliffington
1 person likes this

Hi Herbert and welcome.

Looks like you've got the makings of a highly rewarding grow.

I would really recommend that you read the info posts such as outdoor soil mix

There's a ton of hard earned knowledge here and every minute spent reading it will translate directly into grams harvested.

Wales is sparsely populated, outside the very south and the very north, but browsing animals seem to be everywhere.

Is this an issue where you are ?  I have to fence against wild goats.

Anyway, may Amaethon's blessings be upon you (the real one, not me, I just borrowed his name).

Hwyl.

4 people like this

On 24/03/2019 at 10:36 PM, Herbert Spliffington said:

Thanks again B-Real, good shout regarding all.  Will definitely invest in a sprayer.  Sieving the soil sounds like a good idea too, given how little soil you need at the beginning and how delicate and sensitive their tiny roots are.  Why the hell not!  All the seeds are feminised but I was under the impression it's normal to get the odd male in fem seeds but maybe that's usually the crapper seeds banks.  I was going to go with Seedsman but I've read a lot of negative stuff about them.  

Thanks also Rik, I have had a look at seed mixes but they're a fair bit online and I'm fairly far from any grow or even gardening shops.  I think I will be using normal old (good quality) compost, which I already have at home, during germination. I know a lot of people don't bother with ferts or nutes or anything while they're just babies, and if they can get great results doing that, I'm going assume I can too.  I'm not confident enough in my nute/mineral knowledge to experiment on my first grow.  I would love to get a T5 or similar but again, I'm too skint! A couple of daylight bulbs off eBay however, I can afford.  

Moving on... I haven't even dug the fucking holes yet!

Also, I don't know what I will be putting in the holes!

I think I will be mixing good quality compost with some:

-Rock dust 

-Blood Fish n Bone

-Possibly some calcified seaweed (need to read more on this, anyone have any advice?) 

-A small amount of homemade compost (small because I'm afraid it might throw pH off with things like orange peel, however there is lots of good shit in there)

I will hopefully be filling them (having dug them) by the end of the week.  The girls won't be going out there until they are strong and healthy, so the mix has 1-2 months to sit, and I can add extra stuff if I need to.  Does this sound alright to you?  Have I left it way too late?  Is that recipe a decent basic soil mix?

For next year I will 100% be composting the best sites.  I compost loads anyway and I love it, and this whole fiasco would be so much easier if I already had a big hole of rotten mush waiting for me at the site.  And with a whole year to play with, I could get a pH tester, etc. etc. get really into it and have a bumper crop (in my dreams).  Right now I'm extremely busy and I don't have the time to research products properly nor the money to waste on them if I get it wrong.  I nearly bought a £5 electric pH tester off eBay, but I thought to myself, is this really going to give me an accurate pH?  Could this unbranded eBay pH tester tell me 6 when it's actually 5?  or even 4.5? And how could I ever know without owning a truly accurate tester?

I don't really know what I'm doing and I don't have time to properly research everything or do any elaborate prep.  So my thinking is:

-Whack the seeds in Jiffy Plugs

-Pop the seedlings into oversized pots

-Give em a blast with daylight bulbs when I can and put them in sunshine whenever possible 

-When they're big enough to be a pain in the arse inside, move them out to a polytunnel, still in their original pots.  Water when necessary, and maybe some N based fertiliser?

-When I'm confident the surviving ladies can take the wind and rain, I will take them out and plant them in the holes with the seed mix described above^.  I plan to stagger the planting slightly, with those maturing earliest going first.  Partly for insurance and partly because I don't think I'll be able to discreetly carry more than a few at a time.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA?  

Yes just write notes times/dates/amounts for your self to compare year on year what works for you like a little guide book.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 1:51 AM, Herbert Spliffington said:

I'm wondering, what are people's general expectation when buying seeds small scale?  What proportion are dud, usually?  

Your going to get 99-100% germ rate,i always do with green gold.

5 people like this

Original green golds,always did exceptionally well with them.

large.gallery_44344_4738_12826.jpg

11 people like this

5 hours ago, Ch@ppers said:

Your going to get 99-100% germ rate,i always do with green gold.

This is very accurate haha! 5 out of my 6 popped got another 6 to order though anyway so not really bothered.large.IMG_20190407_132014.jpeg

2 people like this

Holy moly, have I learned a lot in the last month... sorry for all the silly questions, it was early in my mission and I was extremely unsure of myself.  It's hard to plan for something you've never ever done before, you know?  I am now however nicely up and running now.  I have the most gorgeous little Green Gold seedling sat beside me.

@Amaethon - cheers mate, nice to meet ya!  Fortunately my main three sites are all fenced off from sheep, which are definitely the biggest pain in the arse.  If my plants were safe from sheep I think I could get many hundred plants going.  So many perfect south facing fields, gorges, mountainsides... but without an actual fence you're fucked!  From what I gather, anyway.  There aren't many sheep for the acres but having my babies out there for several months, maybe being eaten maybe not, the uncertainty would kill me and the sheep would probably end up killing my plants.  So I'm thinking of some kind of camouflage sheep barrier for next year - there's plenty of rusty fencing about, and with a year to perfect it I think it could be a game changer.

Rabbits on the other hand are definitely knocking around my current plots, as are lots of other smallish mammals by the looks of things.  I'm going to create a small fence of green coated chicken wire for these.  Also possibly some outward facing sharp sticks.

I have read a lot more on all aspects of growing since starting this thread, as well as actually doing most of the prep and indeed germinating my first ever canna seeds!  I am very appreciative of all the stuff on here, you wouldn't guess from my initial posts (lol) - it's how I've got to the semi confident GG situation I'm in right now!

@B-real - I do have a little book on the go, planning to record as much as I can in it.  Shit so far, I have the dates I started germing each wave of seeds, and the cost of all the bits I've bought for the grow.  Already done most of my soil and wish I'd done that a bit more methodically and recorded it but I often only have one day of the week for this project so I just get out there and smash it out as quickly as possible.  Missed lots of photos of the early stages too but what can you do.  I've followed your sprayer advice (applied to peat plugs) so far to very happy results by the way man, nicely explained and thanks for taking the time to!  I look forward to experimenting with techniques in the future, then I'll have something to contribute on it!

@Ch@ppers - Not sure where I got the idea it was normal to get dud seeds... probably floats around cause most nooby growers manage to fuck up a noticeable proportion of seeds each year. After a lot of research, it seems to me that as long as you don't fuck them, your feminised Real Gorilla Seeds will produce ganja plants, plain and simple.  I've grown more and more confident in them ever since they popped through the letterbox.  And so far I've had a germ rate of 100%

I'm wondering, have you gone for the hi viz bluff in that photo?  I think especially in more urban GGs it could be actually very effective, everyone assumes men in hi viz are doing a job, or are on their way to some kind of job.  

@The mole 42000- nice one man, looks like we're in a similar boat!  Look forward to following your grow and seeing how they compare.

Speaking of following grows, I will be starting an entirely new thread in the diaries section, to actually document my grow.  When I started this it was a semi finished plan with loads of holes and loads of questions.  A kind-of diary but also an agony aunt type thing.  I want to start a-fresh and show you all properly what I'm doing in normal diary form.

Until then I will leave you with a few teasers...

-Mini grow cupboard conversion: the ideal companion for that early vegetative state?

-Full camo: OTT or super badass?

-Grow bags: the lazy man's option everyone says is shit.  Surely he's not considering it?!  Find out next week on herbs mtn ganja gro.....

peace!

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Herbert Spliffington said:

Holy moly, have I learned a lot in the last month... sorry for all the silly questions, it was early in my mission and I was extremely unsure of myself.  It's hard to plan for something you've never ever done before, you know?  I am now however nicely up and running now.  I have the most gorgeous little Green Gold seedling sat beside me.

@Amaethon - cheers mate, nice to meet ya!  Fortunately my main three sites are all fenced off from sheep, which are definitely the biggest pain in the arse.  If my plants were safe from sheep I think I could get many hundred plants going.  So many perfect south facing fields, gorges, mountainsides... but without an actual fence you're fucked!  From what I gather, anyway.  There aren't many sheep for the acres but having my babies out there for several months, maybe being eaten maybe not, the uncertainty would kill me and the sheep would probably end up killing my plants.  So I'm thinking of some kind of camouflage sheep barrier for next year - there's plenty of rusty fencing about, and with a year to perfect it I think it could be a game changer.

Rabbits on the other hand are definitely knocking around my current plots, as are lots of other smallish mammals by the looks of things.  I'm going to create a small fence of green coated chicken wire for these.  Also possibly some outward facing sharp sticks.

I have read a lot more on all aspects of growing since starting this thread, as well as actually doing most of the prep and indeed germinating my first ever canna seeds!  I am very appreciative of all the stuff on here, you wouldn't guess from my initial posts (lol) - it's how I've got to the semi confident GG situation I'm in right now!

@B-real - I do have a little book on the go, planning to record as much as I can in it.  Shit so far, I have the dates I started germing each wave of seeds, and the cost of all the bits I've bought for the grow.  Already done most of my soil and wish I'd done that a bit more methodically and recorded it but I often only have one day of the week for this project so I just get out there and smash it out as quickly as possible.  Missed lots of photos of the early stages too but what can you do.  I've followed your sprayer advice (applied to peat plugs) so far to very happy results by the way man, nicely explained and thanks for taking the time to!  I look forward to experimenting with techniques in the future, then I'll have something to contribute on it!

@Ch@ppers - Not sure where I got the idea it was normal to get dud seeds... probably floats around cause most nooby growers manage to fuck up a noticeable proportion of seeds each year. After a lot of research, it seems to me that as long as you don't fuck them, your feminised Real Gorilla Seeds will produce ganja plants, plain and simple.  I've grown more and more confident in them ever since they popped through the letterbox.  And so far I've had a germ rate of 100%

I'm wondering, have you gone for the hi viz bluff in that photo?  I think especially in more urban GGs it could be actually very effective, everyone assumes men in hi viz are doing a job, or are on their way to some kind of job.  

@The mole 42000- nice one man, looks like we're in a similar boat!  Look forward to following your grow and seeing how they compare.

Speaking of following grows, I will be starting an entirely new thread in the diaries section, to actually document my grow.  When I started this it was a semi finished plan with loads of holes and loads of questions.  A kind-of diary but also an agony aunt type thing.  I want to start a-fresh and show you all properly what I'm doing in normal diary form.

Until then I will leave you with a few teasers...

-Mini grow cupboard conversion: the ideal companion for that early vegetative state?

-Full camo: OTT or super badass?

-Grow bags: the lazy man's option everyone says is shit.  Surely he's not considering it?!  Find out next week on herbs mtn ganja gro.....

peace!

Man you've taken on board a fuck ton of info you done your self proud and it's so so hard starting out to get overloaded with info different people do things differently and what not and wanting to do well and not knowing the process just reading it is baffling at times ..growing weed is like a religion have faith my son and the Lord shall provide ..lol.

Just something else I do regardless of anyone's else opinion I put half strength nutes into a litre of water and use it when there is 2 sets of leaves and i usaully pot up around a week a start using them then .

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Herbert Spliffington said:

They stink,we used to don waterproofs and gloves when working around them,saves coming off the plot reeking.:yinyang:

4 people like this

On 09/04/2019 at 8:56 AM, Herbert Spliffington said:

No probs:) will be watching man! look forward to seeing your diary and comparing green golds haha!