Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JimmyPage

DWC - too much air ?

Just popped my next grow (WW femmed) rockwool cube into it's bubbler home for the next few months :)

Since I have loads of airpumps around, I wondered if it's possible to have too much air ? Or will it max out before the nutes catch up ?

Can the volume of air affect the strength of feed needed ?

Is there a way to measure the volume apart from adding up what the pumps say ?

Cheers !

1 person likes this

The more movement on the surface of the nutes the better Jim, it's not the air moving through that puts oxygen in, but the surface contact with the atmosphere.

Your feed levels aren't affected but the plants should take up more, grow faster and bigger...think of aeroponics where they grow in a mist...:yep:

:oldtoker:

4 people like this

Well we check everything daily, so if it uses nutes quicker, we'll feed quicker.

I've built up a lot of stuff over the years, so have a few airpumps. The Big Idea way back when was to grow 4 plants a time in a 1x1 tent. But after some bad runs, decided a "back to basics" was needed where I can at least grow one plant properly time after time, before going to more.

One day, it would be great to have so much stashed, I needn't grow for a couple of years ... redecorate, maybe do some renovations. All on hold as we need a grow room ...

2 people like this

1 hour ago, JimmyPage said:

All on hold as we need a grow room ..

We're hoping to move house very soon and I've already bagged the shed...:wassnnme:  :rofl:

2 people like this

22 hours ago, stu914 said:

We're hoping to move house very soon and I've already bagged the shed...:wassnnme:  :rofl:

Well our growing history is chequered ...

Started in a 'drobe (.6mx.3mx1.8m)  in the garage. Looking back it's a fucking miracle we got anything, but we did ! We had to stop for a few years (about 3) for various reasons. Then we bought a 1x1x2 tent - again in the garage. But the killer was - and was always going to be - the lights out temps. No amount of insulation is ever going to keep things good when it's -5 through the night. And heating the garage is a cost too far.

Which is why we moved the tent "in house". Even then, lights out night time temps can fall to 12C ... although we have managed to have lights on at night, which balances things.

In between garage and house, we did contemplate - going as far as visiting a (shed :) ) load of garden places. But it's a height issue. Most sheds are no more than 6ft .. really at least 7 is preferred. And you still have the temperature problem. As well as (depending on your layout) having to think about fan noise, light leaks, etc etc.

I'll be honest, when the grow - drobe and tent - was in the garage my other worry was a break-in. Not necessarily targeted, just a chancer. But once this property is noted as being a grow house it would never be safe again.

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, JimmyPage said:

Most sheds are no more than 6ft

My current one is about 6'6" and the fridge/freezer I grow in is 5' tall...

Light + ballast/driver, fan, filter, 4 way gang socket and timer in the top section takes up about 1'...DWC about 1'6" leaving 2'6" for the plant...

After having acres of space in previous grows it's been interesting to say the least, still manage to be self sufficient just the same.

I run 2 big air pumps {60ltrs per minute) through about 180ltrs of water. Never had any issues. I think the more air the better. I can't see having more can do any harm. 

1 person likes this