Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ne5

Can you have too much light?!

21 posts in this topic

Hi guys I know this question has probably been asked a million times and I should just research it but I want to know the answer for my specific set up as everyone’s is obviously different! 

Currently have 5 600w hps lights in a groom with 14 autos absolute flurshing but I have literally zero space to get to other side it is a right faff on so when current grow is finished next few weeks I wanted to near enough half the number of plants to around 8 with the 5 600w hps lights and get 3 phlizon 1200w leds also and heavily train them. 

My temps with intakes and exhaust on full are around 20 so I don’t think the temps wouldnt get over 30 in summer and even if they did I would just take 1 hps light out and add another phlizon 1200w led. 

Is 8 lights too much for 8 plants?

the 1200w led is only actually 315 at the wall wattage but the par readings are really high for the price of the unit so I wanted to try them out. 

As mentioned ive got 14 in current groom with 5 lights, most plants being dinafems in 11 litre fabric pots so was going to try 20 litre pots next time. Here is one the girls 10 minutes ago. Not bad for first auto attempt and 8 weeks from germination!!

So is 8 lights for 8 plants overkill?!

large.2E4A2F72-78E8-4F79-860A-258BF985EADE.jpeg

11 people like this

working on the 1gram per wat 5x600 should yield quite a few ounces, weighing your end product will give you a good idea. that a beautiful looking plant

3 people like this

Your electricity bill must look like a telephone number ! 

That plant looks good , but I grow 5 to 6 autos under 1 600w hps I get average 3oz per plant (0.85 g/watt) every 10 to 12 weeks which keeps me nicely chilled of an evening. 

3 people like this

You don't even say the size of your tent? But I have a feeling it may be overkill anyway, 

your question is slightly inaccurate, as your 8 lights are not identical, so you cannot run a count of light / plant, you need a common ground to measure with, in this case you would have either Watts, or Par.  Par measurement would be always be the optimal choice, but it'd cost you around £500 to get the meter.

To use Watts I'd ignore them telling you it's 1200, and measure on what it pulls, 315.  So..

315 x 3 = 945W

600 x 5 = 3KW

You have 3945W worth of light going into your tent.  Roughly speaking you looking at 4K's of ganga.

If you want that from 8 plants, you need to pulling 500G/plant.  That's 18oz, using 3Litres of soil/oz of ganga rule, you'd want a 54, or 50 to be easier Litre pot x 8.

I reckon that'd do you about right, or somewhere close to :)

I find these measurements generally hold somewhere near to accurate, but I can't speak for the efficacy of your led's.  If they have a decent enough rating then you could add a lot more on to the potential.  Above is worked out to the lowest you should do.  Hope this helps a little

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Maybe have a look at what the site sponsor @diyleduk offers , that philzon unit looks outdated IMHO , like what I was using four years ago.. nice looking plant btw.:oldtoker:

Edited by Arthur Mix
Addition
4 people like this

I would like to think 2 x of the lights your looking at and pulling 630 watts at the wall would give a lot more than 18oz. There is more to it than blasting light.

1 person likes this

Nice big juicy colas there mate.  That's 'Wake and Bake' for a few years right there.

The LED you're thinking about getting doesn't look that bad - as below:

Nothing special really.  You'll end up with tall plants and reasonable buds.  The Samsung chips provide a wider flowering spectrum.  I'd get in touch with the @diyleduk and ask him about them.  He'll beat those prices.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, hash72 said:

working on the 1gram per wat 5x600 should yield quite a few ounces, weighing your end product will give you a good idea. that a beautiful looking plant

Thanks dude it’s an amazing plant and there’s a few others in the groom quite like it. 

5 hours ago, Bartyfartblast said:

Your electricity bill must look like a telephone number ! 

That plant looks good , but I grow 5 to 6 autos under 1 600w hps I get average 3oz per plant (0.85 g/watt) every 10 to 12 weeks which keeps me nicely chilled of an evening. 

Its not too bad I have a cheap energy provider!!

thats a really good yield I would be happy for 3oz per plant and I’ve got a few lights more at the minute!

5 hours ago, monkeypig said:

You don't even say the size of your tent? But I have a feeling it may be overkill anyway, 

Its not a tent it’s a perpose built grow room fully insulated/boarded with a separate fuse board and breakers incase anything trips!

the size is approximately 2.5m-3m it isn’t square as built around a few things but approximately 7m2. 

4 hours ago, unity said:

your question is slightly inaccurate, as your 8 lights are not identical, so you cannot run a count of light / plant, you need a common ground to measure with, in this case you would have either Watts, or Par.  Par measurement would be always be the optimal choice, but it'd cost you around £500 to get the meter.

To use Watts I'd ignore them telling you it's 1200, and measure on what it pulls, 315.  So..

315 x 3 = 945W

600 x 5 = 3KW

You have 3945W worth of light going into your tent.  Roughly speaking you looking at 4K's of ganga.

If you want that from 8 plants, you need to pulling 500G/plant.  That's 18oz, using 3Litres of soil/oz of ganga rule, you'd want a 54, or 50 to be easier Litre pot x 8.

I reckon that'd do you about right, or somewhere close to :)

I find these measurements generally hold somewhere near to accurate, but I can't speak for the efficacy of your led's.  If they have a decent enough rating then you could add a lot more on to the potential.  Above is worked out to the lowest you should do.  Hope this helps a little

Thanks for your detailed reply!! I’m growing autos and want to continue to as I love lights being on 24/7 so I have a constant temps in environment. I’ve seen people grow with massive pots in autos and fail as they don’t get root bound so this could cause problems?! I know I could obviously pot up over time but as you will know you’re meant to pot autos in final pot so anything over 20 litres could cause problems!

2 hours ago, tokenroll said:

I would like to think 2 x of the lights your looking at and pulling 630 watts at the wall would give a lot more than 18oz. There is more to it than blasting light.

I think he meant 18oz per plant as said 500g plant?

I’m just trying to learn more mate I wouldn’t want  to invest more into lights if it wouldn’t be beneficial in the long run! 

I could fit 8 plants under 8 lights with amble space for wide growth and plenty room to manoeuvre around the groom!

3 hours ago, Arthur Mix said:

Maybe have a look at what the site sponsor @diyleduk offers , that philzon unit looks outdated IMHO , like what I was using four years ago.. nice looking plant btw.:oldtoker:

I’ve messaged him a few times already mate his leds are amazing but out of my price range at the minute. These leds are £100 each and reviews are very positive for them! Definitely going to be using his lights in the future but want to get more grows under my belt and some leds grows done as well. 

Thanks about plant it’s looking amazing and still mostly white fresh pistils appearing so only going to get bigger next week or two!

Edited by Ne5
1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Nice big juicy colas there mate.  That's 'Wake and Bake' for a few years right there.

The LED you're thinking about getting doesn't look that bad - as below:

Nothing special really.  You'll end up with tall plants and reasonable buds.  The Samsung chips provide a wider flowering spectrum.  I'd get in touch with the @diyleduk and ask him about them.  He'll beat those prices.

I don’t think he could beat £100 each for the lights. Don’t get me wrong his lights would smash these leds a few times over but really don’t have the funds at the minute and want to get an led grow or two under my belt 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Also guys here is the led in question. 

Phlizon Newest 1200W High Power Series Plant LED Grow Light,with Thermometer Humidity Monitor,with Adjustable Rope,Double Chips Full Spectrum Grow Lamp for Indoor Plant

they haven’t let me post link on here it’s on amazon anyway. 

Edited by Ne5

Posted (edited)

The thing about these cheap leds, is they aren't actually as cheap as you may think.

The led in question pulls 190w at the wall and will be a round 1.2umol/j and costs £100 (being generous here with the efficiency)

1.2 x 190= PPF 228umol/s 

PPF 228/ £100 = 2.28 PPF/£

No lets looks at our Scope-150 its a 150w light at 2.3 umol/j and costs £150

2.3 x 150= PPF 345 umol/s

PPF 345/ £150 =2.3 PPF/£

As you can see from these numbers our lights are cheaper when you look at the light you get per pound spent rather than wattage, or fake wattage. Build your own DIY light and that costs is reduced by a further 20-30%.

Understanding what you're getting for the money isn't easy with leds.

Edited by diyleduk
5 people like this

Posted (edited)

@diyleduk so it boasts it is 1200w and 315w at the wall when it’s actually 190? 

Ive been reading a lot of reviews and diaries and they said this led smashes a 600w Hps when it comes to yield. 

As you know I am completely clueless I’m trying to learn as much as possible about all leds though and will be getting some led goodness from yourself next grow or two but need to get a couple more grows under my belt. 

Edited by Ne5

Yep, but as i sed watts really don't mean much. 

Looks like you do very well with HID lighting, instead of buying 3 of them leds have you considered a 315cmh light? you can pick up a couple used for the same price as them leds.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, diyleduk said:

Yep, but as i sed watts really don't mean much. 

Looks like you do very well with HID lighting, instead of buying 3 of them leds have you considered a 315cmh light? you can pick up a couple used for the same price as them leds.

I don’t want to really be adding anymore lights that project a lot of heat out of them that’s why I was looking more into leds. Think I may be at the limit for lights on temp during summer days with the hps setup I have so don’t want to be investing into said lights when they will just be adding more heat I’m guessing?