Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

minigrower

NFT LED cupboard grow EC help?

Posted (edited)

I have done 1 hydro grow before in a tent and a 600hps in NFT. I had loads of dried out leaves on that one, because of the heatwave last year I think. Got around 4ozs dried.

But now I have a small hydro grow in a metal locker in my shed. It's a single plant in NFT, and LED diesel something. What should my EC be? Canna say 0.9 - 1.2 in rooting stage. Using their measures mine is closer to 0.55 and in the 3 days its been in there its dropped to 0.4. I have one small leaf that dried out on the ends. I have a small fan heater in there that keeps temps just above 20 degrees. But fluctuates q bit with it kicking in and out. And one leaf that went a little yellow. A bit worried as it was only there 3 days and already struggling.

Edited by minigrower

If you got 4 lb from 1 600w light, maybe we should all be asking for advice from you?

Just over 4 ounces sorry. 4 Lbs would have been ok with me.

I keep my ec at 1.2 - 1.4 from week 2 onwards. 

Also, test your tap water ec first. A high ec from the tap will obviously affect the ec after adding nutes. 

Having just completed my first NFT grow i have learnt a few things.

1st, take what the measurements on the back of the bottle with a pinch of salt, I use GT 's Ionic and theirs is well out of whack, seem to think that 7ml/lt will give me an EC of around 1.5 (if i remember). nah, takes me to well over 3 with the EC that my water sits at (0.7), i slowly increased my EC over the period of my grow as the girls looked hungry, started and 1 and i ended up never going over 1.4 with the veg nutes.

2nd, How is your PH during all of this? if your EC is fluctuating that rapidly then your PH will be too, and this will hinder nute uptake and cause you problems. which is the yellowing of the of the leaf your seeing.

I would ignore the measurements and just calculate your own measurements based on the EC that you require. If the EC is dropping fast and the fluid level is staying the same then your baby is hungry, you need to try and get the EC to stay the same while the water level drops, this will mean that she is taking up neuts and fluid in an equal manor.....sus this and your PH will stable(ish) too....but also remember that you want your PH so drift slowly. i had mine slowly drift over the week from 5.5 to 6.5 so that you are getting the best possible PH for the uptake of all the required elements, and than change the rez. Thats what i found anyway

Also try and keep the temp from fluctuating too rapidly, especially in the rez, i kept my rez between 18-20, and the cab/groom was 22 -24 with the lights on and about 15-18 with the lights off

Hope it helps, below was my result :hippy:

large.5cd0944f95358_MamaMiabyseedsmanseeds.jpg

2 people like this

21 hours ago, JayKay79 said:

1st, take what the measurements on the back of the bottle with a pinch of salt, I use GT 's Ionic and theirs is well out of whack, seem to think that 7ml/lt will give me an EC of around 1.5 (if i remember). nah, takes me to well over 3 with the EC that my water sits at (0.7), i slowly increased my EC over the period of my grow as the girls looked hungry, started and 1 and i ended up never going over 1.4 with the veg nutes.

2nd, How is your PH during all of this? if your EC is fluctuating that rapidly then your PH will be too, and this will hinder nute uptake and cause you problems. which is the yellowing of the of the leaf your seeing.

I would ignore the measurements and just calculate your own measurements based on the EC that you require. If the EC is dropping fast and the fluid level is staying the same then your baby is hungry, you need to try and get the EC to stay the same while the water level drops, this will mean that she is taking up neuts and fluid in an equal manor.....sus this and your PH will stable(ish) too....but also remember that you want your PH so drift slowly. i had mine slowly drift over the week from 5.5 to 6.5 so that you are getting the best possible PH for the uptake of all the required elements, and than change the rez. Thats what i found anyway

Also try and keep the temp from fluctuating too rapidly, especially in the rez, i kept my rez between 18-20, and the cab/groom was 22 -24 with the lights on and about 15-18 with the lights off

Great post. Thanks JK. 

Thanks guys, I had a few things going wrong. It was a cutting that hadn't rooted properly, the fan heater kept the humidity reeeeeaaally low.

I bought some seeds, got them going in a propagator and then into the NFT tank. Got a small bar heater in there rather than the fan heater. Temp swing is still pretty large, but theres not much I can do about it with it being in a shed. 13-21 ish degrees.  My tap water has a really low EC out of the tap. just under 0.1. So going about 0.7 at the moment and the plants seem happy.

On 06/05/2019 at 9:12 PM, JayKay79 said:

Also, this looks similar size to my grow room. Can I ask how much this yielded?

On 10/05/2019 at 1:21 PM, minigrower said:

Also, this looks similar size to my grow room. Can I ask how much this yielded?

I'm going to take a guess at about 7-8oz from that plant. 

Reninds me of being at the fayre guessing how many marbles at in a jar! Haha.