Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

girlpower

Dimmable hps bulbs

I have just ordered a 600w Lumii digital ballast kit, supplied with a dual spectrum bulb. I presume the bulb supplied is capable of running at the 250,400 and 600W settings the ballast offers, but whether or not its specifically designed to do that I don't know. What quality bulbs are recommended that are sold as dimmable? I've read a few posts that suggest some bulbs will work, but with differing spectrums at lower amperage. Others have suggested it's best to have the bulb match the current,in which case I'd buy a 400w for when the plants were younger.

I have only a few grows under my belt, using a 600x600 tent and a 250w HPS, perhaps I should not get hung up about different bulbs and keep things simple, using the 600w (in my new 1x1x2 tent) all the way ?

You are correct in that a 600w lamp WILL work at the lower wattage but again as you say potentially not at the spectrum  they are designed to. If you already have your 250w lamp I would start with that and switch to the 600w when you feel your plants are ready.

2 people like this

250 watt lamp at 250, 400 w lamp at 400 and 600w lamp at 600 setting.

The lamps are designed to provide the correct spectrum as per their wattage rating, so a 600w lamp at say setting for 400 wouldn't be as efficient at 400 or 250w at 250 etc.

personally I would use the 600 all the way, once they are out of the ground, just raise it higher for the first few days, gradually lowering it down as the plant grows. .

1 person likes this

I've found a Lumatek lamp that claims it is the only one that can be dimmed, and still retain the correct spectrum, and last as long as it should.

Having said that Resin, I think you're right in saying go at 600 all the way, that's all I've done with my 250 set up, and I've been reasonably successful with that. As a beginner I should concentrate on getting other things right, as I've been a bit slapdash on my previous grows. Now I've got two tents I've bought maxmin thermometers for them, and was shocked to see how wildly the temperature varied, day to night. I've now got the extractor on a timer, so it's off during the coldest part of the night (they're in a barn). 

Well, you can tell I've had my first medicine of the day, I'm rambling. I won't even ask if it's worth getting a red 600 lamp to finish the girls  off with......

use the right wattage lamp, if you run a 600w at 400w the spectral light wave will be well off, your  also taking chance of fucking up your lamp,

so if you plan on running the ballast at 250ww or 400w, I'd be more inclined to get either a 250w or a 400w MH for vegging with & then use the 600w for flowering with.

Posted (edited)

I’d certainly not switch the extractor off at all. Your plants need to breath and you don’t want the whole neighbourhood to smell your plants surely.  Get some heat to the roots and keep

the extractor on 24/7

Edited by Rampa Green
2 people like this

3 hours ago, Rampa Green said:

I’d certainly not switch the extractor off at all. Your plants need to breath and you don’t want the whole neighbourhood to smell your plants surely.  Get some heat to the roots and keep

the extractor on 24/7

I'm lucky not to have any neighbours, but I agree you need to keep the air moving, or you can get condensation. I was looking at heating wires to heat the pots, the mats are quite expensive and more than I think I'll need. What do people use?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

50 minutes ago, girlpower said:

I'm lucky not to have any neighbours, but I agree you need to keep the air moving, or you can get condensation. I was looking at heating wires to heat the pots, the mats are quite expensive and more than I think I'll need. What do people use?

I use a double heated blanket from argos under my inner base of my tent, I pushed the boat out and got a decent one at around £30, but I wouldn't use anything cheap & nasty when it comes to electric and water. Works a treat :bong:

ETA: Yes I am being sarcastic when I said I pushed the boat out at £30, but it wasn't a shit one :banned::wassnnme:

ETA: You'll get away with a single at half the price in your tent btw :guitar:

Edited by AKPOG
See ETA's

Most 600W bulbs can be run with a variable ballast, but it's going to not be very efficient. :thumbdown:

That said, last summer, I was using my variable ballast to dim for the first few hours until temps dropped & then back up to 600W. Mostly to 400W & it worked out well. :bong:

But I wouldn't want to run it long term at the wrong power, except for the extra 10% boost that is. As I'm sure it will affect the long term efficiency of the bulb. I normally only run two flowering cycles & then change the bulb anyway.