Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Switchh

Useful tip for power cuts

Hi all 

Not sure if this is in the right place so apologies if not. 

Ive had a little browse of the forum and I can’t seem to find anything to do with a problem I faced today. Although I could be wrong so I apologise if that’s the case. 

Anyway, this saved my ass earlier so I thought I’d share it with you and hopefully if  anything similar happens to other growers it may help. 

So you’re growing in DWC/RDWC or any other system which requires an air pump to be on, and suddenly you have a power cut.  Whats your priority? The air pump right?

Your plants are fine for a few hours but then they start wilting and the power still isn’t back on. There’s a few known ways to combat this e.g reduce water in reservoir, empty the water etc but for extended periods it’s just not practical. 

This happened to me. I don’t have the joys of having a back up generator, so after running around in circles for a few minutes  I figured I’d 12V 7Ah battery (£21) & a 300w 12V inverter (£29) and connect them to power my air pumps, and it worked! Kept them alive for the last couple hours of the power cut. 

As said before im not sure how many of you guys know about this (probably all of you and I’m just behind as usual) but I haven’t seen it anywhere, and I thought it might be useful for it to be out there. For the sake of £50 it’s reusable and can be a god send if you have a long power cut, especially if you’re late into your grow! 

Or you can be very prepared and buy an air pump with battery back up lol but if not and your nearest aquarium is shut, screwfix and toolstation are open until 6 & 7 ;) 

Peace 

Switch 

3 people like this

I think the “priority” would be your extraction fan. I had a fuse blow the other night which tripped the circuit and shut off my extraction fan while I was sleeping. I woke up and was about to hit snooze when i whiffed it. I have never in my life got out of bed quicker lol 

3 people like this

2 hours ago, BlazeBudz said:

I think the “priority” would be your extraction fan. I had a fuse blow the other night which tripped the circuit and shut off my extraction fan while I was sleeping. I woke up and was about to hit snooze when i whiffed it. I have never in my life got out of bed quicker lol 

Haha yes that’s a good shout during the flowering stage lol  luckily I have a tent & theyre only in veg so I can get away with that for now... get some Ona blocks or some spray on hand mate they work wonders outside the tent or grow room you won’t ever smell a thing 

1 person likes this

Get a UPS...one for fan one for pump