Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mattock Man

stealth COB LED question

hi all.

so ive been reading a lot about COBs and my interest is piqued.

Clearly LEDs - COBs in particular - are finally starting to rival/take over from HIDs in terms of yield and spectrum (if not yet price) but what really interests me is a different kind of potential which I think they might have.

LEDs dont need the kind of bulky reflectors an HPS bulb does, so it should, theoretically, be possible to hide one behind a standard domestic ceiling light fitting. (even if it has to be a bespoke built unit)

also they can be dimmable, so the idea (the dream!) is to do this in a bathroom/wetroom and rig the door to trigger the dimer function when the handle is turned, so that it looks only as bright as a normal domestic light when the door is opened.

if popo ever come looking all they get is a couple of (monster) plants in a bathroom with no sign whatsoever of any grow equipment at all.

(C.F. would be housed behind dummy bathroom extractor unit and nutes would be coming in through the shower head from a second water tank (res) in the attic ... run to waste in coco and kick back.

"they just grew like that officer"

I know how to do the rest of it but im not a spark. i know it has to be possible so my technical question to anyone who really understands the electronics is ...

1) how hard would it be to remote trigger the dimmer function? can it be done realistically?

and

2) what type of opaque/ 1 way glass would you use in the fitting to minimise any loss of lumen intensity from the COB?

Hope that makes sense,

thanks in advance for any help or research resources,

stay safe.

cheers

MM 

contact switch would handle it door closed full power, door open setting 2 dimmed wouldnd be too hard a small push switch in door jam like car door style.

yeah thats the idea BM.

it doesnt even need to be a dimmer function - even if it just switched of the LED it would do fine - the idea is just to hide the equipment.

in ireland now they are drawing a major distinction between plants grown with or without electricity.

two plants no gear you walk, its practically a guarantee on a first offence.

its all about peace of mind.

the main question really is whether there is a suitable kind of opaque glass that would hight the LED fixture without blocking too much light.

do you have experience with COBs?

1 hour ago, Mattock Man said:

hi all.

so ive been reading a lot about COBs and my interest is piqued.

Clearly LEDs - COBs in particular - are finally starting to rival/take over from HIDs in terms of yield and spectrum (if not yet price) but what really interests me is a different kind of potential which I think they might have.

LEDs dont need the kind of bulky reflectors an HPS bulb does, so it should, theoretically, be possible to hide one behind a standard domestic ceiling light fitting. (even if it has to be a bespoke built unit)

also they can be dimmable, so the idea (the dream!) is to do this in a bathroom/wetroom and rig the door to trigger the dimer function when the handle is turned, so that it looks only as bright as a normal domestic light when the door is opened.

if popo ever come looking all they get is a couple of (monster) plants in a bathroom with no sign whatsoever of any grow equipment at all.

(C.F. would be housed behind dummy bathroom extractor unit and nutes would be coming in through the shower head from a second water tank (res) in the attic ... run to waste in coco and kick back.

I know how to do the rest of it but im not a spark. i know it has to be possible so my technical question to anyone who really understands the electronics is ...

1) how hard would it be to remote trigger the dimmer function? can it be done realistically?

and

2) what type of opaque/ 1 way glass would you use in the fitting to minimise any loss of lumen intensity from the COB?

Hope that makes sense,

thanks in advance for any help or research resources,

stay safe.

cheers

MM 

I love elaborate plans like these.  Keep it coming. Just a thought - if for some unknown reason the fuzz happen to be passing by and ask to use your bathroom, then discover the unimaginable inside, don't you think they'll want to have a thorough search of the entire property?And if you're anything like me, you'll have jars of weed, nurtients, amendments, unused ducting, half used bags of medium vape pens, skins, etc.etc.etv.  You'll need to find a hiding place for all that too.  Hope it works out for you though. Best of luck :hippy:

2 people like this

haha cheers, yeah ...

lets just say a new house is an opportunity to turn over a new leaf, so to speak.

they are not pulling electrics apart here. ity really would make all the difference if it could be implemented.

Edited by Mattock Man

You're wasting your time and energy here. 

One simple choice to make - Can I handle getting turned over for growing? 

If yes get a grow on, if no, then it's back to overpriced shitty dealer weed I'm afraid. 

2 people like this

ive been growing for fifteen years mate.

optimizing your damage control scenario for a bust is just common sense.

im not looking for opinions on whether its a good idea, i know it is, for my purposes.

im just looking for technical information on implementing the lighting, which is why i posted in lighting

Edited by Mattock Man
1 person likes this

you might be able to use the magnetic security door closing contactors for turning lights on and off,

although you would need to reverse the polarity or something like  (please check with an electrician) as you want it off when door open and on when closed so would need to work that out

the best would be the door jam switch more stealthy 

5 hours ago, Mattock Man said:

optimizing your damage control scenario for a bust is just common sense.

Seriously if you've been growing for 15 years why look to change now? Get a decent room set up as hidden as possible and get on with it. Don't tell, sell or smell and you'll be fine barring those unavoidable situations

Assuming your "logic" is to have as simple a system as possible in case of getting busted so that it's not viewed as a "professional" setup, this would achieve the opposite.

5 hours ago, Mattock Man said:

im not looking for opinions on whether its a good idea, i know it is, for my purposes.      :wallbash:

1 person likes this

On 2/19/2019 at 10:29 PM, Mattock Man said:

Do you really believe this will work though, and what are you hoping to gain? Your still growing Cannabis even if the light is dim. You'll still have your place searched and the plants taken away etc.. Same outcome really whatever.

I'm sure the lighting setup is achievable but it seems like a pointless exercise, to me anyway.

Echoing monkeypig, your efforts would be better directed into creating a hidden grow space. :ninja:

The secret is to not get caught in the first place.

Good Luck. 

1 person likes this

The thing with the led cobs (ones I have tried) is that they don't have anywhere near the penetration of a hps so if you were to use one in a bathroom ceiling light you would have to have your plants a few inches away... picturing you fighting your way through an obstacle course of stools, chairs and anything tall enough to prop plants up just to have a shower :) 

What if they enter the bathroom and close the door behind them?

2 people like this

On 04/03/2019 at 9:12 AM, tsk said:

What if they enter the bathroom and close the door behind them?

Ha Ha Ha.  An unbelievably obvious chink in the armour - love it...:police: