Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sasquatch

Vertical grow

I'm planning on upgrading the cellar so as I have seperate grow and bloom spaces : I have 2 rooms down there with the back room subdivided into 3 'cells' of which 2 are viable, being about 12' x 4'.

One of these houses the current grow, the propagating tray and all the bits and pieces, the other would be the bloom room. . Having had my ESA stopped I'm looking at starting it off as cheaply as possible. The 'deluxe' version would be a cheap Chinese 630w CMH bulb in any old reflector run off a 600w magnetic ballast ( apparently they can run CMH bulbs no problem). The  cheaper version would be 2x 250w bulbs hung vertically, I've already got 1 ballast and bulbs . This would be to light one end, a 4'x4' space you would normally cover with a 600w HPS.

It's not just initial cost but enhanced efficiency - hang the bulbs right next to the kolas, the light goes straight out sideways onto the buds and the heat rises straight up so you can get the plants closer to the bulb.  A bit less leccy and the potential for more buds.

So why isn't everyone doing it? I could only find one diary, which went on forever and succumbed to other problems, and I can guarantee you can search the site all day and not see a vertical grow. This makes me think there must be something bleedin' obvious that puts people off what ostensibly seems like a cracking good idea.

All thoughts and suggestions welcome.

1 person likes this

Go for it. It will work, baudilaire iirc did a 'cube' grow to good effect.

Ive often thought about utilising sides but most of my multistrain grows end up  in a stadium shape anyway

2 people like this

@Sasquatchthe main reason i can think of putting many off this style is the often high number of clones involved.   Heath Robinson used to do it to good effect on a larger scale if irc.

I'm experimenting now albeit on a much smaller scale.....vertical does get the best out of 360 degree output lamps imo:yinyang:

1 person likes this

On 17/02/2019 at 0:12 PM, Sasquatch said:

I can guarantee you can search the site all day and not see a vertical grow.

Or google 'vertical grow uk420'...lots n lots...:yep:

1 person likes this

Thank you everyone.

I'm afraid some clarification is needed here: what I meant by vertical grow was that the lamps are hung vertically without reflectors, but the plants sit on the floor. Not one of those tent jobs where you have dozens of cuttings in small pouches or pots hanging down the sides.

Nor did I mean plants sitting on turn table devices for those too rich and idle to be bothered turning the pots themselves.

Now I can see why I've got so few views and replies, I can vaguely remember all that kit but most of those threads Google turned up fizzled out on the first page and leave me none the wiser.

I'm not planning anything more ambitious than 2x250w bulbs and maybe 4 revegged plants ( cropping first time over the next 10 days) plus maybe 2 or 3 new ones from seed. no harm in trying it I guess, sorry about the confusion.

1 person likes this