Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

goldenbrown1

Super thrive overdose

Hi all, I have given my plants too much superthrive . I thought the dosage was 3mil per litre but after looking online I realise it’s a drop per litre! I gave it to them when I transplanted into their larger pots (Coco). Now they are just droopy and sad looking, crinkles leaves going slightly off colour, very stressed looking. This is a week later , at first I put it down to transplant shock.  Never had this before and have neve4 used superthrive before. It seems like they are in a coma.

Should I flush them to clear it out?

I would :yep: flush it till its gone.

Its primary function is a root beneficial but like you say a drop in litre.

DO NOT use it in flower :yep:

2 people like this

For future reference  i know it doesnt help you now but dont waste your money. Have a read Here.

1 person likes this

flush out using a low dose of nutrients and ph6.0 never just run water on its own in coco.

Toke...

1 person likes this

The label on superthive has changed. It used to say 1 drop per gal but mine stated 1ml per 10L. This works out about 20x stronger. I contacted onestopgrowshop and they confirmed the label was incorrect and would be changed asap.

My mums went from perfectly healthy to almost dead over night. 2 months has passed and they have made some progress but very slowly.

I have 25 years experience and can clearly see my mums are Mg deficient. I have been adding epsons salts to every feed  and the plants are slowly getting better.

The amount of Mg iv'e been adding is way above normal but the plants are having a positive responce. I believe the hormones in superthrive have effected the root systems ability to uptake Mg as there is more than enough being applied to root the zone.

Low ph can decrease  the uptake of Mg, but my nutes are 5.9 and my runoff ph is spot on at 6.1 in coco. Iv'e done the slutty test and my coco is ph 6. There is no other explanation for the Mg deficiency other than the root tissue has been altered at cellular level diminishing it's ability to uptake Mg. 

I have tried several different nutrient lines without much improvement. I am however seeing new root growth and believe this is responsible for the slow recovery I'm seeing.

Just thought I'd share my experiences with overdosing on  superthrive.

Trimming the root ball or potting up would encourage new root growth resulting in a more efficient root system. I have recently done this and will update this thread if my theory is correct.

Edited by polypliod

I have been nursing these mums for nearly 2 months and finally have a solution how to recover plants that have been overdosed with superthrive!

Apart from the problems with applying huge amounts of hormones which can take months to return to normal levels within the plant. A simple flush isn't going to fix that i'm afraid.

My roots look damaged and have a caramel colour to them and the tissue is softer than healthy roots. There is no funky smell you'd normally get with root rot. I suspect the roots have been burnt with the hot dose of Superthrive. 

The micro flora of beneficials are hard at work eating up the damaged root tissue. This sounds like a good thing but in reality there are some serious side effects. As these microbes digest the damaged tissue they release acidic enzymes that break down dead organic cells. This can have disastrous effects to the stability of your mediums ph. With a sudden drop in ph your plants ability to uptake the correct amounts of nutrients will be seriously effected. Calcium and magnesium are the first nutrients to become unavailable when ph falls below 5.5.

The first thing I needed to do was stop the acidic enzymes being produced. This would stabilise my ph and make the full spectrum of my nutrients available again. I did this by using silver hydrogen peroxide. This stopped the beneficials in their tracks and my ph slowly started to return to normal with some heavy flushing. I noticed my new growth was looking much healthier even though the overall plant health looked terrible. I kept a close eye on the roots and noticed signs of new healthy growth appearing. 

It's still early day's but I can definitely see improvements as each day passes. I believe they will make a full recovery in due course. When they look back to full health I'll add beneficals to the coco and keep a close eye on my ph to see if it starts dropping again. 

The benificials actually did more damage to my plants via nutrient lock out than the initial damage caused by overdosing on Superthrive!

I hope this information will help others recover plants from this highly potent stuff.

Edited by polypliod