Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

TallShay

Complete Newbie

Hello, Complete newbie here, I have done a fair bit of research but I don't feel like i've got the confidence to start a grow yet.

I've scrolled through a lot of posts on here gathering info, but haven't found a post that has a complete itemised list of everything you would need to start a Tent grow,

Also a generic chart of how long things take and a (Grow for Dummies) instructional post, I know this can be difficult as from reading no two grows are the same? 

If anyone does know of a thread that does could they point me in the the right direction please? Hope to hear and learn a lot from you all, Many Thanks

Shay

Welcome, you'll get tons of help on here.

you gotta decide on a few things in regards to growing.

Two main things that will change what you require...

location & medium

I'd say stick to soil as a newbie..

You'll need:

Lights, extraction, carbon filter, pots, medium, timer, contact relay, min/max thermometer, water container, measuring jug, nutrients, watering can as the basics.. plus if course seeds or clones.

then depending on location I.e. Shed, loft , bedroom or local disused warehouse you may need heaters for dark period. 

Once you've scoured the forums a bit more it'll seem a tad easier. At the end of the day, its a weed. you plant it in soil on your windowsill and it'll grow. all the other stuff just makes it easier and better product..

Good luck on your new journey :cowboy:

edit: Budget will be a main factor in setting up aswell..

Get into grow room design section and read read read...

Edited by Pinkytoe
1 person likes this

Thanks,  I'm swaying LED lights due to being more energy efficient, Its going to be in my loft and medium i've been recommended soil/coco a 60/40 mix? I'm looking at a 1.2mx1.2mx2m tent. Not sure on the size of LED unit i'd need. And budget is open to discussion.

Thank you

Edited by Owderb

I've never used LED but I know there's info on here by people who do.

Loft - you'll need it insulated and think about how your venting. Lofts get very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. Will the tent fit in the apex?

Medium - I've used soil and coco. never a mix so can't really comment. All I know is manufacturers make 2 separate nutrient mixes due to the mediums composition so not sure how that would affect things. imo as a newbie is keep it simple and stick to 1 or other but it's your call.

coco, you can be watering upto 2/3 times a day in the summer. a right ballache unless it's automated..

Soil, maybe once a day if high temps.

You'll be getting through the water, so think about how your getting it up there.

1 person likes this

I'm getting the evil eye off the Mrs now for being on the phone..

:police:

you've got a plan by the seems...your half way there ..

I'm able to build an insulated box around if needed, Was thinking Tile vents in the roof to vent failing that possibly soffit vents in the eaves. Sounds like ill be using soil. Do people run a hose up stairs or have a large container?

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Pinkytoe said:

coco, you can be watering upto 2/3 times a day in the summer. a right ballache unless it's automated..

I hand water coco and have never had to water more than once a day. In fact 90% of the time its once every other day

Owd

2 people like this

large.IMG_20180312_103703.jpglarge.28423084_10160094486895416_8097763091913300037_o.jpg@TallShay guessing its your own gaff yeah ?? Is thw loft floor insulated and lined  heres a pic to give ya a idea i insulated the floor used giprock flooring my spark took a spur from exisiting loft wireing used a connector to truna nother 2 double sockkets then we used plasterboard and made a fake wall after drilled out 2 5 inch holes through the wall (see top pic ) well worth insulating the roof as well f not allready insulated large.IMG_20180801_185650_edit.jpg and yes if ya can hall a heater up there as well as some water for the feeds etc well worth it cold water will shock the root sytems (as i found out ) so let the water get up to room temps my loft build was the first thing i done when i purchsed my gaff. Allthough due to major heart op comeing up unable to get aupp there these days so going out side lol if ya put the time and effort in you will get the results back

Edited by bubbleguppie
added more pics andd info
1 person likes this

I second the LED for the power consumption but make sure to get a good and powerful one for that space.

Edited by JJJ

Keep it simple is my advice, get a bag of nice soil - Biobizz Allmix, a bottle of Rhizotonic, Fishmix, Bloom.  Done, that's all you need.  No messing around with mix's and loads of snake oils.

Make your environment a toasty 25 with lots of air movement.

Keep them watered and fed.  Jobs done :)

Oh, and spend most of your money on the carbon filter and extraction fan ! ;)

Edited by Inspiration101
4 people like this

52 minutes ago, Owderb said:

I hand water coco and have never had to water more than once a day. In fact 90% of the time its once every other day

Owd

I also water every other day in coco, but I'm thinking worst case scenario. Hot summer loft, plants in full flower drinking a shitload.  I couldn't imagine coco in my old loft :(

Wouldn't recommend a soil/coco mix, I'm trying this for the first time with one of my plants and it's not looking too healthy whereas the other 4 look fine.

A straight coco medium is one thing but it performs differently mixed with soil the sogginess isn't helpful.

I agree wiyth everyone recommending starting off with soil, you have enough variables to deal with as it is. I usually use John Innes No. 3 mixed 50/50 with good multipurpose - avoid Westlands it burns leaves.

@bubbleguppie  (hope you don't mind TallShay) I notice you've got uncovered breezeblocks in your bloom room, the space I intend using also has them. Do you find them reflective enough without mylar?

1 person likes this

@Sasquatch I'd be inclined to cover them with king span or equivalent pricey yes but on these cold winter nights I'd imagen it will be worth while. No to the relative monies tight at the moment as signed off but our mortgage is low for this neck of the woods (lat 42,9) about 1200 a.month got 10 year left luckily. So when I'm back working next year I'll do it then. I find the bigger the space the more manageable the heat. To be honest I'm looking at getting a tent for my smoking shed come April and doing some in there 

1 person likes this

I reckon the hardest thing about your 1st grow is actually doing it. You end up thinking about it way to much, over thinking and over complicating it in your head. 

Best thing to do is just go for it and learn on the job, what's the worst than can happen?? You may have to start again.

I have done 1 tent grow 2.4x1.2 and it was perfect, autos, my yeild was huge.

Just go for it!! You'll be fine!!

2 people like this

Soil Coco mix is good, in fact exceptional if you use Tropic Batmix, as I've had awesome results from that which has made Biobizz Allmix look inferior. Plus it doesn't have pearlite, nor any wood, which attract fungus knots.

I wouldn't mix coco with any old soil though, as Tropic has peat, which holds water very well & added lime for PH.

I don't even have to add Epsom salts very often either :bong: I have to water every other day at most, which is around 2.5litres for 10L pots.

Good luck :yep: