Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Guest autoutdoors

germinating outdoors

19 posts in this topic

I have a dilemma in that this year I can only visit my plot one time a week maximum... but also have to start the plants from seed outdoors. The plan is to construct a mini greenhouse with PVC and thin mesh for protection and grow them in that for roughly a month. This is what I did years ago and it worked well.... However at that time I was very near the plot and could water the seedlings dailly...this time I'm nowhere near it and can only visit once a week

does anyone know if it would be possible for freshly germed seeds to survive a week with no watering or am I just going to have to give this year a miss? maybe

using coco coir as a growing medium is what someone suggested me but im not convinced about that...or maybe there is another way?

im open to suggestions

Thanks

depends on how hot it is i suppose mate .....  another way is to use a  bottle  of water ... drill a small hole in the top and  bury it upside down near the plant so it leaches the water into the ground slowly ... should be ok for a week or 2 i would think ...

as for germinating them ... just give the  soil/compost in  the pot a good watering and pop a clear plastic bag over the top of the pot and plant .held in place with an elastic band or some tape ..... it can be held up with a few thin sticks till its big enough to be put out in the soil ... it will act like a mini greenhouse and keep moisture in it ...

Edited by vortex
4 people like this

I think this is the way to go:

6 people like this

19 hours ago, zorg said:

I think this is the way to go:

That's the one, cracking box he makes, was looking at doing it this year.

Was going to make a few that would fit plants for each plot, one box per plot but ended up buying rootrainers instead and starting them in the tent again

Will def be making one of his boxes when I switch to starting them outside tho. 

1 person likes this

Cheers for the replys im going to see about construction of something like  whats recommended in the serial growers thread looks promising thanks again

Yeah man ! Amerillos grow box is mint. 

Edited by Tommy tucker
Dyslexia
1 person likes this

Cheers for the kind words guys,  Im looking forward to seeing a few people using the boxes this year ;) hopefully in a few years time people will be saying 'remember when people used to germ inside?' :rofl:

obviously the set up I show in the diary is how it is for a reason, but its the main underlying principles that matter, lots of different possibilities....

Heres a little one I did last year, fits in a bergen, enough to get some autos to the 10 day mark before getting the ground... 

large.b.jpglarge.s.jpglarge_ss.jpg

Worked a treat...

Having a semi sterile, loose airy mix is important, as is ample air flow, water supply and net/mesh... Other than that its all open to interpretation..    This year I will be doing some other variations for larger amounts,  should be interesting..  cheers

Edited by Amarillo slim
13 people like this

double post

Edited by Amarillo slim
1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Amarillo slim said:

Worked a treat...

Might actually use one this year, I'm in the middle of buying a house which I will renovate befor moving in and have to sell the one I'm in now.

Going to be a pain, this house will have viewings and the other will have trades men in so would make sence to use your box method 

3 people like this

@Jack010 as long as you keep the slugs out, it's a winner. I used a similar method at a couple of plots for 17 season.

5 people like this

On 2/11/2019 at 10:05 PM, Tommy tucker said:

Yeah man ! Amerillos grow box is mint. 

+1 that's the way to do it mate. We followed slims method and it worked very well.

4 people like this

I have looked at that link and although won't be doing the exactly same thing will definitely be something  very similar, part hempy bucket thanks for the responce guys Really helpful cheers

Not sure if this helps . But i grew a few plants in in plant pots with the bottoms sawed off.The pots went into holes in the ground. I thought the shit native soil was to damp.Turned out that i didnt need to bother.large.20180610_181105.jpglarge.20180610_182250.jpglarge.P1010242.jpeglarge.P1010244.jpeg

9 people like this

On 12/02/2019 at 2:10 PM, beezee said:

as long as you keep the slugs out, it's a winner

lollollol Yeah deffo check for slugs before you put the lid on.

large.sllugs.JPG

7 people like this

On 14/02/2019 at 5:51 PM, autoutdoors said:

although won't be doing the exactly same thing will definitely be something  very similar

Post up some pics in here,  would be good to see..  The was at least a couple years of prototypes before arriving at the design I show in my thread so its pretty well ironed out at this stage, but very keen to see some different variations being made this year....

Not long now...

large_Boxs.jpglarge_Box.jpg

Got lots of interesting new genetics to test out this year,  gonna need a van load of XPS :yes:

Edited by Amarillo slim
3 people like this