Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Barry Quest

315W CMH overkill for 85 x 50cm veg area?

Greetings UK420 :alien2:

Wondering if anyone could assist with a dilemma I'm having? Currently trying to complete my vegging area (w 85cm x d 50cm x h 95cm). The plan is to veg a batch of 8 well rooted clones each time for 4 weeks (in coco), finishing in 6.5l pots - before being moved to half the area of my flowering tent (half the area is w 80cm x d 190cm x h 180cm) under 2 x 315W CMH to create a semi-perputual harvest every 4 or 5 weeks. 

Would a 315W CMH be overkill for this purpose? My thinking was that a T5 or Bright Wing (the other lights I have to hand) wouldn't give them enough in the 4 weeks for them to then fill the space in flowering.

Any guidance appreciated 

:yinyang:

1 person likes this

I tried a 315w in a 60x60x140cm and it was too much tbh, only on the coldest days could I make it work and am in a partly insulated loft.

LED's could be an option?

2 people like this

you can get a 150w CMH kit.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping not to spend any more £ just yet. I never knew you could get a 150W CMH kit tho - I'll look into that...

In the meantime, I'm going to go ahead and rig up the 315W anyway, out of pure curiosity! Just to see what the temps get up to

:yinyang:

@Ital You weren't wrong. Had to try it for myself, temps got up to 35°C!

@Joint hogger I'm probably over-tired, but finding it hard to source a 150W CMH kit. I can find the lamps... The DIY thread here isn't making much sense to me. Any chance you could point me in the right direction please?

24 minutes ago, Barry Quest said:

hard to source a 150W CMH kit.

I don't think there is one, I spent a long time hunting around for this very kit but it looks like DIY or nothing...

2 people like this

I can find 150w E40 fit bulbs, they wouldn't make them if you couldn't get the ballasts.

Is there any hard and fast reason why other ballasts can't spark up CMH bulbs? I've recently seen it said on here that magnetic ballasts will run double ended 630w CMH bulbs; there are digital 150w HPS ballasts and maybe even magnetic ones if I searched far and wide, so maybe digitals could run them too?

Sorry I haven't got much technical  aptitude.

2 people like this

If you're going to all the bother to buy/DIY a 150W CMH set up I'd seriously consider having a chat with Dialaduck @diyleduk as your space is perfect for one of his scope kits.

The HLG Quantum boards are what got the samsung diodes recognised and the HLG boards are as good as they claim.  A bonus is you'll also be able to adjust the driver as your seedlings/plants need, so work up the power from 50% and a little of the strips/quantums goes a long way.

Hope its not interpretted as hijacking what's clearly marked  cmh I am no salesman or trying to change anyones mindset :)

2 people like this

@stu914 Thanks for the reply. In a way I'm relieved - thought my Google-fu was just weak.  Gonna have a good read of the DIY thread after more sleep!

@Sasquatch My technical aptitude is also lacking, but surprised to hear that the 630W CMH double-enders run on standard magnetic ballasts. I was under the impression all CMH needed a square-wave output from the ballast. Wonder if one could get away with running a Lumatek 315 CMH ballast at 50% for the 150W lamp? 

1 person likes this

It was Thedoctor 6999 in the 945w CMH bulb thread,  for all I know you could be correct and I'm not trying this until I've found some clarification.  Then again what sort of ballasts do the other fits of 150w CMH bulb need?

sorry @Barry Quest  meant to say its a Diy job with the 150w CMH ballast/setup, as for what parts too get I cant remember them off hand but the builds used philips ballasts & think they cost about £50,

you also need to get a suitable housing to hold the ballast & shield the wiring, as for what lamp to get I think it was a pgz12 but I'll try to look into it for definite later when I've got a bit more spare time.

1 person likes this

@Joint hogger Ah, no problem, thanks for getting back to me. I think I'll leave it for now if it's DIY or nothing - my free time is scarce for such projects and I need something sooner rather than later.

@Teeth When I first read your post I was going to reply something along the lines of "one dark art at a time - I've just switched to coco..." 

However, after several hours of reading it looks like one of the Scope kits from Diyleduk would be absolutely perfect, so thank you for bringing it to my attention! Now to find the funds...

2 people like this

@Barry Quest

I know what you mean, I seem to be still making too many changes at once to tell what's helping or not. 

I've just got a couple of LED light engines/driver kit after bending Dialaduck's ear and getting their advice before finalising.  Can't recommend them enough - let me slaver for a week and coaxed all the info with the patience of a saint and I bought it just in case you think I'm doing PR for a freebies.  Makes me sick now when I think about the import/customs/travel fees I  paid for my Quantums originally so delighted we've a UK approved supplier. 

Anyway nuff hardsell - all the best

1 person likes this