Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

user101

KING LED Lights

Hi all,

I have purchased some KING LED lights, listed as 2000w (1400w HPS equivalent).

I put some good sized plants under these lights, they certainly run with a lot cooler temperatures (heat wise), however, I found my plants were pretty much doormant on the growing scale, or at least very, very slow.

I initially had two of these lights in the 150x150 tent, I found the leaves were curling upwards into a closed position, so I removed one light, this solved the issue, but still the growth was extremely slow, I found the stems were growing very strongly and well, but all other matter was not.

I reverted to putting in a 1000w HPS bulb, and found the growth to be as normal, as expected, I am very disappointed that these LED lights seems to be next to useless.

Has anyone else had any experiences with these lights? 

Thanks

surprised to hear that as they should be the Top dog in LED

1 person likes this

I had a bash with LED’s in the main grow and I found light distance to be critical, To far away and they looked starved of light and to close and they bleached fuck out of my plants, the leaf curling could be light or heat stress, try backing the light off a bit especially if turning one of the lights off helped! 

Edited by Tepzad
2 people like this

That's why i turned one of them off..they opened the leaves again..but no growth other than the stems pretty much (thickening, stronger), all other growth was negligible. But since putting the hps in they have flourished..bushed right up taller every day etc. The KING LED's are wide spectrum with most in the red zone for flowering, but also plenty of blue etc, they totally bathe the entire area in bright light, but the plants just didn't seem to grow. Could a lack of heat stop them growing that much? That's the only other factor that has changed with going back to hps...a lot warmer, however, i wouldn't say it was particularly or overly cold with the LED's..just ambient indoor temp..not warm but not cold, I wouldn't have thought it would be cold enough to affect them like that. Thanks for your replies all.

Nowhere near enough light is your problem.

Specifications:

• LED Type: Double 5W Epistar LED
  • LED quantity: 200PCS
  • Dimension: 525x215x60 mm (20.6x8.5x2.36 inch)
  • Product Weight: 4.36kg
  • Input Voltage(V): AC85V-265V
  • Frequency: 50-60Hz
  • Actual Power Consumption: 380W±5% ,energy saving
  • Lumen: 23454.60LM
  • Working Temperature(℃): -20°C ~ +40°C / -4°F~ 104°F
  • Working Lifetime: >20,000 Hrs
  • Plug Type: AU , EU , JP , UK , US-Type Available
  • Surface Material: Anti-oxidation aluminum
  • Warranty: 3 years
  • Certification: CE, RoHS
  • Use for all stages of plant growth
  • Max Coverage at 24" Height 7.8x7.5ft
  • Core Coverage at 24" Height 6.0x6.0ft

What all that means is 2 of them wont come near a 600w hps in light output at the canopy. You would want at least 4 of them in a 1.5m x 1.5m

Edited by diyleduk
2 people like this

I looked at the lumens before buying and noted it was well below par with a 600w..but was unsure if its different way of measuring it between led and hps...since people seem to have great success with lower rated LED's. I also considered that it may have been too much due to curling of the leaves, the plants did not stretch, short with good stem growth..all these indicators led me to think too much light..perhaps too much in the blue spectrum.

They draw about 2.3 amps, and are super super bright, so i did not carry too much weight on the 23k lumens note.

If it transpires that you need four in a 150 then despite their good build quality, they would be mega sh1t. The benefits of heat and energy saving are long gone compared to hps, it would actually cost more to run. Surely king led cannot be that bad? I looked on youtube before purchase and people seemed to like them.

From what you say it looks like i have been sold a chocolate teapot.

Thanks

Edited by Userx

21 minutes ago, Userx said:

From what you say it looks like i have been sold a chocolate teapot.

lollollol 

Lumens isn't the best way atall but if its 23k @ 380w against 90k-100k for a 600w hps, its a big enough gap to make a judgement. I'm not saying they are bad, as i've never used one. But if you want to light up a 1.5m x 1.5m with them then you need at least 4.

Put a 400w/600w hps in the middle and you will do fine.

6 hours ago, diyleduk said:

lollollol 

Lumens isn't the best way atall but if its 23k @ 380w against 90k-100k for a 600w hps, its a big enough gap to make a judgement. I'm not saying they are bad, as i've never used one. But if you want to light up a 1.5m x 1.5m with them then you need at least 4.

Put a 400w/600w hps in the middle and you will do fine.

I found with the lens type led’s (years ago) was if it wasn’t close enough the plants would stretch all spindly, too close fry the bastards and one of the symptoms was the leaves curl upwards, there’s a chap on here that sells quality led lights that use the snazzy Samsung lm301b chips, can’t remember his name though? 

@Tepzad you just quoted the bloke you are talking about who's name you cant remember you muppet!

;)

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

@Tepzad you just quoted the bloke you are talking about who's name you cant remember you muppet!

;)

I know, it was a joke mate, I’ve just bought a panel off him, and lovely it is too ! :yes:

Edited by Tepzad
Come on wakey wakey Phoenix !!
2 people like this

Ok it was ironic comedy genius,  I see it now

You're still a muppet though!:rofl:

just kidding.....

;)

1 person likes this

Guys I'm a bit of a dinosaur and still refer to lumens, is there some conversion factor for going from lumens to umols or vice versa

14 minutes ago, TheGreenShabeenReturns said:

Guys I'm a bit of a dinosaur and still refer to lumens, is there some conversion factor for going from lumens to umols or vice versa

Lumens

Lumens measure light intensity. One lumen is equal to one candle. It’s pretty simple.  

Unfortunately, lumens only relate to human eyesensitivity – they don’t tell you anything about plant grow lights.  

They’re great for telling you how well a lamp will let you see in the dark, but that’s it.  

Micromoles (Μmol)

Photons are counted in micromoles (µmol). One µmol is 602 quadrillion photons!

Your plant is only interested in the number of photons.

It takes 8 - 10 photons to bind to 1 moleculed of CO2 for photosynthesis.

As it happems, red light produces more photons than blue light. This means it's better for photosynthesis.

In the earlier days of led’s there was a phrase “lumens is for humans” meaning don’t worry about the lumen count being low (compared to a HID) because the spectrums better, higher PAR and quality of light, but in reality they were just shit.

Nowadays though led’s have come a long way, Samsung reckon their chips can outperform HPS lamps watt for watt 220 lumens per watt vs 180, if that’s true I don’t know but modern led lights I’ve seen and used 100% outperform old led’s I’ve used in the past, 10 years mate we’ll all be using them and diyleduk will be a millionaire !

Edited by Tepzad
2 people like this

Nice one Tepzad duder cheers for that. @Tepzad

1 person likes this