Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Punk#1

ideal temp for roots and where to put probe for heat mat

26 posts in this topic

Alright guys, Just ordered myself a heat mat and thermostat to help keep root temps up when the light is off.

Just wondering exactly what temp I should set the thermostat to and where I should put the probe?

Don't want to cook the roots!

Edited by Punk#1

22c

1 person likes this

Just now, Ital said:

22c

Awesome cheers

1 person likes this

I have mine Thermostat set at 23c in winter and they're generally on most the time, the Habistat heat matts do struggle on the coldest days though.

1 person likes this

I'm not sure why I feel fruity saying this but I'd stick my probe close to the centre of the root ball. 

1 person likes this

Just now, Ital said:

I have mine Thermostat set at 23c in winter and they're generally on most the time, the Habistat heat matts do struggle on the coldest days though.

I've gone for a root-it hope it can manage

Just now, Auxin said:

I'm not sure why I feel fruity saying this but I'd stick my probe close to the centre of the root ball. 

Well that makes sense. Not sure if my girls would appreciate it getting a probe  rammed right in there though

Just now, Punk#1 said:

I've gone for a root-it hope it can manage

I have a couple of foil heatmats with the old thermostats removed and added a root it thermostats, they is the bollox!

3 people like this

Just now, ratdog said:

I have a couple of foil heatmats with the old thermostats removed and added a root it thermostats, they is the bollox!

Bio Green by any chance or another decent maker... I need to upgrade?

@Punk#1 - the Root Its are great , been using them for years now :)

2 people like this

Just now, Ital said:

Yes mate, they are very good mats but the probe on the thermostat is weak, cooked all my plants last run, the root it stats are wicked bits of kit and work well with these mats.

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Great, glad to know it's good, was the first thing I saw online as I was at work and kind of in a rush

1 person likes this

Good thread and info... I reckon I could/should get that lecky blanky out from under my pots and get something better/designed for the job under them!

Nice one!

:v:

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Ital said:

@Punk#1 - the Root Its are great , been using them for years now :)

Great another recommendation

I'll use my regular temp probe beside the root-it probe for a while and monitor it

1 person likes this

lollollol

Its more easily done at pot up but I just make a hole. You only need to go in a few inches to hit the spot.

When I was super precious about every root I used to put the probe under the pot and set it at a temp that kept the rootball around 22C (you'd need another probe to do that). Now I just jam it in.

@Slugums THIS is what I do. Works a treat.

1 person likes this

A leccy blanket is no difference really  and you know they have a moisture repellent for the elderly  and drunk ...lol

2 people like this